"Red Tails is out on DVD!"

Thread: "Red Tails is out on DVD!"

"Red Tails is out on DVD!"

"Red Tails" is out on Blu-Ray and DVD! I just picked mine up at Wal-Mart.

Gonna sit down and watch it soon's we get the groceries put away.

Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Most cool!

I have waited a very long time for this. Really looking forward to it.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

how much is the blu-ray?...i may sound cheep/....but its also on directv now for 5.99 one time view....not sure how many times ill watch it if i buy it...maybe ill watchi it tonight on directv and then buy myself a bday presant....unless one of you wanna.................ok...i know......pffffffft

Just finished watching it. Only one word to describe. WOW!!

Yes, it's almost entirely CGI, but it is by far the best I have seen to date. Some small segments are a little obvious, but for the most part, it's nearly impossible to tell.

But I bought it for the story and the entertainment value. I was not disappointed.

The Blu-Ray disc has all the extra special stuff on it, including the history of the 99th, 332nd, and 477th groups. Many of the surviving Tuskegee pilots and their wives told their stories, as well as many photos and films from the archives. This history lesson itself was over an hour long. It is called "Double Victory" because of the victory in the war, as well as the eventual victory over segregation in the services. Then there was a short, 20 min story of the making of the film. Both worth the price of admission by themselves.

Dave, the single DVD was $19.95, the Blu-Ray/DVD twin pack is $24.95. Don't know if the extras are on the straight DVD. They are on the Blu-Ray disc in the twin pack. The Highlights from the "Double Victory" Feature are on the DVD, though not the entire feature.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

SOH-CM-2014
    <---- downloading from iTunes; $15.00, non-HD.

2 more hours.... arrgh.....

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

SOH-CM-2014
    Download speed some how spead up, immediately I had it.

AWESOME FILM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Highly recommend this!

Brilliant!

The official UK cinema release date, in the UK, for Red Tails is 6 June and you guys Stateside are already getting the blu-ray :isadizzy:. Is the film actually any good? Worth importing?
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

Quote Originally Posted by arrowmaker View Post
    The official UK cinema release date, in the UK, for Red Tails is 6 June and you guys Stateside are already getting the blu-ray :isadizzy:. Is the film actually any good? Worth importing?
    The special visual and audio effects are beyond approach. One can 'feel' the atmosphere of the forward fighter base....from the shimmering heat baking off the aircraft to the coughing start-ups of the Merlin engines early in morning.
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by arrowmaker View Post
    I wrote a whole review here on SOH when the movie was released in US theaters, but I'm having trouble finding it with search function. It's a very old-fashioned (meaning pre-US deployment to Vietnam) type war film. If you enjoyed movies like Flying Leathernecks, Battleground, Away All Boats, or Sgt. Rutledge, then you'll probably like Red Tails. If not, in the words of my little cousins, you'll probably find it "corny". There is no post-moderninst snark (like in M*A*S*H) and no surrealism (like in Apocalypse Now). Don't get me wrong; I loved these other movies, but Red Tails is of an entirely different sensibility. I didn't really think it was any better than HBO's 1995 Tuskegee Airmen, but the production values were much higher. The reason IMO to get this on Blu-Ray rather than DVD, is the inclusion of the full documentary Double Victory, which I actually liked more than the feature film.

JAMES
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

well...ill wait until i can get the blu-ray..i like the idea of all the extras...

SOH-CM-2014
    There are some extras that come with the iTunes purchase.

Im watching this again tonight....

I love that cut and flip maneuver. Happens so quick, its over...

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    There are some extras that come with the iTunes purchase.

Im watching this again tonight....

I love that cut and flip maneuver. Happens so quick, its over...
    Yes, I really liked that. At first, I thought, "That's Impossible!!" But after watching it in HD, you see things you didn't in the trailer. Plus more lead-in to the shot.

1. He climbs, cutting throttle, losing speed, (An absolute no-no in energy management.)
    2. Rolls inverted, dropping flaps, then pulling hard and diving, at full throttle, thus gaining speed and energy, but most importantly, lead on the aim of the shot, causeing his target to fly into his shot.

What makes the manuever appear wrong/impossible is the camera movement, still moving forward/over, as the aircraft reverses direction. I actually tried this manuever with one of my R/C WWII fighters that has flaps, and it works. Scary, but it worked.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

SOH-CM-2014
    That is cool....

I watched it again last night, front to back. That is still one hot maneuver....

Lightning was cool! His undoing was that he always went head on with his opponents, I think. Great movie.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    That is cool....

I watched it again last night, front to back. That is still one hot maneuver....

Lightning was cool! His undoing was that he always went head on with his opponents, I think. Great movie.

Bill, I'd sure like to watch the version of the movie you have, maybe iTunes has a 'special edition' that makes it great.

The 'Red Tails' I watched had an almost incomprehensible plot, jumping all over with no real structure or reason.
    The characters were two dimensional and stereotypical, in a very bad way.
    The dialog was comical and atrocious, I actually cringed at a few lines spoken and felt sorry for the actor who had to deliver them.
    Aside from the strafing scenes, I found the CGI air action scenes to be cartoon-like and laughable.
    The "love story" was pointless. No really, it was pointless and unnecessary.
    I almost turned the movie off, but pausing it a few times and going doing something else for a while seemed to help.

I'd say it was written by an 8 year old with ADHD, but that would be insulting, because I think any 8 year old probably could have written a better movie.
    Seriously folks, I know you'll get upset by what I have posted here, but please understand I tried REALLY hard to like this movie and be entertained by it, but I just couldn't do it. Sorry.
    I can unhinge the brain and enjoy 'summer fluff' movies, no problem, but 'Red Tails' was so glaringly bad it never gave my brain the opportunity to do so. :isadizzy:

I guess on the plus side there actually could be a use for 'Red Tails'.
    Folks could always turn this cinematic stinker into a 'drinking game', by taking a shot every time Cuba Gooding Jr. was directed to shove his smoking pipe into his mouth for dramatic effect...

dane, you call 'em like you see 'em, and i always liked that about you. i agree mostly, although it didn't irritate me as much as it seemed to bug you. because it was a lucas film, i had no expectations going into it. i love a good story. hollywood rarely delivers them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    Bill, I'd sure like to watch the version of the movie you have, maybe iTunes has a 'special edition' that makes it great.

The 'Red Tails' I watched had an almost incomprehensible plot, jumping all over with no real structure or reason.
    The characters were two dimensional and stereotypical, in a very bad way.
    The dialog was comical and atrocious, I actually cringed at a few lines spoken and felt sorry for the actor who had to deliver them.
    Aside from the strafing scenes, I found the CGI air action scenes to be cartoon-like and laughable.
    The "love story" was pointless. No really, it was pointless and unnecessary.
    I almost turned the movie off, but pausing it a few times and going doing something else for a while seemed to help.

I'd say it was written by an 8 year old with ADHD, but that would be insulting, because I think any 8 year old probably could have written a better movie.
    Seriously folks, I know you'll get upset by what I have posted here, but please understand I tried REALLY hard to like this movie and be entertained by it, but I just couldn't do it. Sorry.
    I can unhinge the brain and enjoy 'summer fluff' movies, no problem, but 'Red Tails' was so glaringly bad it never gave my brain the opportunity to do so. :isadizzy:

I guess on the plus side there actually could be a use for 'Red Tails'.
    Folks could always turn this cinematic stinker into a 'drinking game', by taking a shot every time Cuba Gooding Jr. was directed to shove his smoking pipe into his mouth for dramatic effect...
    +1. Pretty much sums it. Action scenes had no intensity whatsoever. And I can't stand Terrence "baby wipes" Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    I'm sure George Lucas is heartbroken over that review. But then again, he is known for his childish behavior so no harm done.

Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    Yes, I really liked that. At first, I thought, "That's Impossible!!" But after watching it in HD, you see things you didn't in the trailer. Plus more lead-in to the shot.

1. He climbs, cutting throttle, losing speed, (An absolute no-no in energy management.)
    2. Rolls inverted, dropping flaps, then pulling hard and diving, at full throttle, thus gaining speed and energy, but most importantly, lead on the aim of the shot, causeing his target to fly into his shot.

What makes the manuever appear wrong/impossible is the camera movement, still moving forward/over, as the aircraft reverses direction. I actually tried this manuever with one of my R/C WWII fighters that has flaps, and it works. Scary, but it worked.
    You actually flight tested that on your R/C? Maybe you should change your tag to "Mythbuster". I'm very impressed. I definitely called bull**** on that manuever when I first saw it, especially in a 109. I think someone on the FSX forum did that with a high-accuracy P-51 flight model and also says it can be done. I want it to be a Warbirdsim model, but I couldn't say for sure.

JAMES
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingFinn View Post
    I'm sure George Lucas is heartbroken over that review. But then again, he is known for his childish behavior so no harm done.
    Jorge? I kid Jorge.

Actually, I blame Rick McCallum, Jorge's "Right-Hand" man, for never having any spine to stand up and say, "Uh, George? This is awful, you are capable of much better work, Sir. Remember 'THX-1138' and 'American Graffiti'?...".
    Okay, there was 'Howard the Duck', but that's what a true friend would do, not go along with the "Emperor's new clothing" shtick, like the rest of Hollywood.
    You watch the extras on the "Phantom Menace" DVD for example, you can see McCallum sitting behind him, visibly wincing during dailies screenings, as Jorge is stating, "That's great!".

Quote Originally Posted by cheezyflier View Post
    dane, you call 'em like you see 'em, and i always liked that about you. i agree mostly, although it didn't irritate me as much as it seemed to bug you. because it was a lucas film, i had no expectations going into it. i love a good story. hollywood rarely delivers them anymore.
    Thanks. Naw, I'm not loosing any sleep over it. LOL.
    You get those 'bright spots' like 'The Avengers' movie out now which make up for the bad ones.
    I had a lot of fun watching that one.