Fixed WW1 .MDLs for Stuart Green aircraft - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fixed WW1 .MDLs for Stuart Green aircraft

By use of Model Converter X is likely but you need permission. Once in Model Converter X you can dump it as a .3ds that gMax can use.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

I'd love too use the Caudron and the Zeppelin Straaken. But they both need this. The ZepStrk needs the most. even without braking parts it really needs LOD work.

Its just a thought.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

This may be something you can do.

I'm still all thumbs in Gmax and FSDS. I'd have to be walked through it. wait i mean crawled. I get all of the rest but this still eludes me.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

I can do that.

http://www.flightsimonline.com/C162/ Read over the exercises. I can also send you a cut down source of the Hanriot HD.1

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Allen;781432]By use of Model Converter X is likely but you need permission. Once in Model Converter X you can dump it as a .3ds that gMax can use.[/QUOTE

Most or all of Stuart's models are already multi-res but most likely could use some trimming down in the distance LODs. Running them thru Gmax would no doubt also help with the FRs. At any rate, Stuart has already given permission to tweak his models for CFS2 use as long as proper credit is given.

Okay. I guess you could send me what is most important first so I can look over them.

i've tried to convert the model but i get an error. what am i doing wrong?

Were did you error at and what program?

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Were did you error at and what program?
    model converter X V120

here is the error message.

7:40 PM MDLReader Error The file SG_CAUDRON_g4.MDL is of a non-supported MDL format

I've also tried with a bgl and got simular errors. am i missing some thing.

here are the errors for the bgl
    7:42 PM BGLXReader Information Starting reading of file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\CFS2 WWI\SCENEDB\veh\scenery\veh_wwibramb.bgl
    7:42 PM BGLXReader Error This is not a supported BGL file
    7:42 PM BGLXReader Warning No objects found in file

Here is a little more.

An unexpected error occured
    An error occurred loading a configuration file: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\SceneryDesign.org\ModelConverterX.exe_Url_v0r izq41akin34nu1scd1spvidrjbaw0\1.0.0.0\user.config' because it is being used by another process. (C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\SceneryDesign.org\ModelConverterX.exe_Url_v0r izq41akin34nu1scd1spvidrjbaw0\1.0.0.0\user.config)
    StackTrace:
    at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.Evalu ateOne(String[] keys, SectionInput input, Boolean isTrusted, FactoryRecord factoryRecord, SectionRecord sectionRecord, Object parentResult)
    at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.Evalu ate(FactoryRecord factoryRecord, SectionRecord sectionRecord, Object parentResult, Boolean getLkg, Boolean getRuntimeObject, Object& result, Object& resultRuntimeObject)
    at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSe ctionRecursive(String configKey, Boolean getLkg, Boolean checkPermission, Boolean getRuntimeObject, Boolean requestIsHere, Object& result, Object& resultRuntimeObject)
    at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSe ction(String configKey, Boolean getLkg, Boolean checkPermission)
    at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSe ction(String configKey)
    at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.Sys tem.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigSystem.G etSection(String sectionName)
    at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSecti on(String sectionName)
    at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSetti ngs(String sectionName, Boolean isUserScoped)
    at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.Get PropertyValues(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties)
    at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFro mProvider(SettingsProvider provider)
    at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValue ByName(String propertyName)
    at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
    at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPr opertyValue(String propertyName)
    at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.get_I tem(String propertyName)
    at ASToFra.ModelConverterXSetting.get_RecentlyUsedFil es()
    at ASToFra.ModelConverterXSettings..ctor()
    at ASToFra.MainWindow.InitOptions()
    at ASToFra.MainWindow..ctor(String[] args)
    at ASToFra.Program.Main(String[] args)

1.20? Update update! Current is 1.30.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/dow...?do=file&id=83

Anyway I took the model from the link in Post 49 you posted. It had to be converted to a .BGL by use of MDLC.EXE using /B than Model Converter X would work.

Once you updated and the the model in a BGL fourm import again a small box should come up and click Set.

Once the model loads (it will take some time as the model is over 50,000 polys)

Once loaded you need to remove the LOD it has. Goto the Generate LOD box. (#1) Now click on LOD 6 (#2) and remove it (#3)

Attachment 81023

Once done you can export is as a .3DS that gMax can import.

Thanks Allen.

I have 130. just haven't unpacked it yet. I'll give it a shot.

Well I know I'm not completely stupid BUT!!!

I'm stuck. how do i get the command entered into MDLC?

Command Prompt is pain. In the Start Menu\Programs\Accessories you will find Command Prompt. Make a copy of it. Now paste it in the same folder as MDLC.exe Once done right click on it and go to properties. In the "Start in:" box it should say "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%" You want to change this to the folder that has the MDLC.exe. I have mine changed to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2\Editing tools\mdlc_190_weap" Once the path is change hit apply and close the properties.

Now run Command Prompt shortcut you just edited.

It should look like this.

Attachment 81026

On your end the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2\Editing tools\mdlc_190_weap should be the path to your MDLC.exe The name SG_CAUDRON_g4.MDL is too long for DOS so cut it down to g4.MDL. Now what you want to do is type or copy and paste (by mouse) MDLC.exe /B g4.MDL to the Command Prompt window and hit Enter

Attachment 81027

Now in the folder should be a g4.MDD and g4.bgl. Open the Use Model Conv X to open the g4.bgl

Hurrah!!! Got it.

I didn't have to add the .exe as mine isn't titled that.

well its now in Gmax. so now what.

My suggestion is to run! That model is . Trying to cut polys out of the model is like trying to cut the whole amazon forest down by yourself.

It would be better and easier to start a new model from scrach.

Members who have read this thread: 8