One Day Challenge - P2 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One Day Challenge - P2

Putting on my RTWR Rules Hat

Nice run Vicious but your aircraft is not a legal aircraft for the RTWR race for two reasons. One it is a prototype which automatically disqualifies it from the race (RTWR). see rule quote below. Two it is a Pilatus PC-21 and was not legal in 2007 and 2008 it may actually be legal if they finally have 10 examples in service. I looked over the rules as Reggie reposted them but I could not find anything about Aircraft eligibility for this race. I thought it was posted in the forums prior to the crash that aircraft had to meet the RTWR rules requirements so if I am wrong someone can feel free to correct me.

BTW this is just practice Rules Digestion for the race. :d

Quote Originally Posted by RTWR_Home Notams
    AIRCRAFT TYPES NOT ELIGIBLE IN 2007

The F2G (Goodyear's last version of the F4U Corsair).
    Ten were put in service, but those were in testing at Patuxent NAS and found deficient in handling--and decommissioned within two years. Its fame lies in low-level circuit racing.)

Fw 190-D11 and Ta 152C.
    The D-11 is labeled as a prototype by Shockwave in their documentation. Apparently 7-13 were built (Shockwave says 7) but we don't know much for sure here--this being a late-war on-the-fly aircraft. The TA 152C is a prototype. (The Fw 190-D9, Fw 190-D13, and the Ta 152H are fine.)

Pilatus PC-21
    There are not yet 10 examples in active service.
    Quote Originally Posted by RTWR_Home Official Rules
    iii. Aircraft Requirements.

a) General.

Aircraft must meet all of the following requirements to be eligible for use in the race.

They must be either:
    • Piston-powered fixed-wing aircraft.
    • Turboprop-powered, fixed-wing aircraft of two engines or fewer.
    • Rotorcraft.
    In addition at least 10 real-life flying examples of the model, type, and specific version of the simulated aircraft must have been produced and put into service.

Finally, the flight simulator model must have been designed for use in FS2002, FS2004 or FSX, and have been openly available to the general public, either as a commercial product or as freeware, at least two weeks before the race.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

PC-21 Eligibility

Hi Dave,

The PC-21 now has at least a dozen aircraft in service according to sources I found on the web (http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/new...3jul08_nr.html) so I felt it was now an eligible aircraft. I guess we should clarify it before the real race however.

Vicious

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    Putting on my RTWR Rules Hat
    ...fricking lawyers! :costumes:
    -John-

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    Hi Dave,

The PC-21 now has at least a dozen aircraft in service according to sources I found on the web (http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/new...3jul08_nr.html) so I felt it was now an eligible aircraft. I guess we should clarify it before the real race however.

Vicious
    Yep I did not look but I knew it would be close. We had a discussion last year on if they had enough units in service then I think Ed wanted to use it on a leg somewhere. It is a good idea to never fly aircraft in the race that have "Experimental", "Prototype" or "Concept" in the name. That is a red Flag and will get the leg disqualified even if the reason is it is a rePaint that is experimental, prototype, or concept. Willy was adament about that in the last practice session and clearly defined it as a NO NO

Otherwise if it were legal I would be flying the XP-38N created by P-38 Wizard dcc

Quote Originally Posted by jkcook28 View Post
    ...fricking lawyers! :costumes:
    Thanks from the Law Firm of SRG, DD26, & SCRWU :costumes:

My entry

Here are the Duenna files for the first 4 legs. I found time to do them this morning. looks like I will do the other 3 tonight in the dark.

EGPA-EGED 4:41
    EGED-EGEW 3:46
    EGEW-EGEP 0:52
    EGEP-EGEN 4:37
    EGEN-EGES not complete
    EGES-EGER not complete
    EGER-EGPA not complete

Aircraft of choice was Rockwell Turbo Commander

I messed up on the first leg and forgot to put the gear up. I noticed it when it was too late so I left it down the whole way.

In the last RTW I think I had to fly the Extra, which had "experimental" on the side....

And the last three

I proved I can not do it at night. Had to switch to day. I landed at EGES rather abruptly we can say. {read crashed}

EGEN-EGES 3:34
    EGES-EGER 2:36
    EGER-EGPA 4:41

Total 24:47

+ 10 minute penalty

Total 34:47

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    In the last RTW I think I had to fly the Extra, which had "experimental" on the side....
    Too true Tom... but every Extra is "experimental" thanks to the FAA (and there are a lot more then 10 examples flying) but it was forced on us by the "Default Aircraft" component of the race. Just for the heck of it I did a 'forerunner' flight in the RTW inverted (mostly with my eyes closed, I think).

**Editorial comment inserted: I hope this year we can reduce or rationalize the Deadly Defaults a bit since I think we've moved well past a bare-bones setup for most RTW racers -- bonus points IF you fly one, but few or no mandatory flights.**

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

So is the verdict that the PC-21 is not legal because it was in prototype colors? I didn’t think that would be a problem. I flew that scheme since I’m partial to black, as you can tell from my user pic.

Vicious

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    So is the verdict that the PC-21 is not legal because it was in prototype colors? I didn’t think that would be a problem. I flew that scheme since I’m partial to black, as you can tell from my user pic.

Vicious
    More like:
    the PC-21 WAS NOT legal for the 2008 RTW due to the lack of units produced and operated. WILL it be legal for 2009??? Quien sabe?
    If there are 10 or more AND the performance is within real-world specs it should become 'legal' but that won't be known til around the new year when the work-up for RTW'09 gets into details.

As far as this exercise is concerned, the final judgement comes from Reggie but look at it as a good learning experience in the format and for the airplane. If it's an RTW option you'll be well prepared... that's what these exercises are here for.

Look at it this way:
    For the Team, the keys are Planning, Organization, Pilots and Speed
    For the pilots they are Practice, Organization, Preparation and Speed

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    More like:
    the PC-21 WAS NOT legal for the 2008 RTW due to the lack of units produced and operated. WILL it be legal for 2009??? Quien sabe?
    If there are 10 or more AND the performance is within real-world specs it should become 'legal' but that won't be known til around the new year when the work-up for RTW'09 gets into details.

As far as this exercise is concerned, the final judgement comes from Reggie but look at it as a good learning experience in the format and for the airplane. If it's an RTW option you'll be well prepared... that's what these exercises are here for.

Look at it this way:
    For the Team, the keys are Planning, Organization, Pilots and Speed
    For the pilots they are Practice, Organization, Preparation and Speed

Rob
    Very right but also look at the Duenna Section Enroute / Aircraft: [T1] PC-21 First Prototype.

To me this reads that the model is the First Prototype of the PC-21 which means it could never be RTWR (maybe legal this race) legal because a prototype is not a production model. Even if they made multiple prototypes it still would not be a production model.

As far as a repaint is concerned that would just be an error on the part of a repainter. Lets say I am repainting a completely legal P-51D/H by shockwave (less external tanks) in SOH Race Colors but I name the title in the Aircraft Config "P-51 SOH RTWR Paint Prototype" because it is my prototype of the paint. This would cause confusion to other teams who may assume I am flying a illegal version of the P-51. Now the judges would possibly recognize by the airfile used that it is legal aircraft but it could cause a delay or a penalty during the race. At the very least I would expect a delay as we wait for a ruling from the committee.

These are just things to watch out for.