SOH A-26 Invader FSX Converted Files Download - Page 2
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH A-26 Invader FSX Converted Files Download

Thanks for doing the conversion John, much appreciated.
    And thanks to Milton & everyone else involved in the original release.

:salute:

SOH A-26 Invader FSX Converted Files Download

Hi,

Very beautiful plane, but I can't stear it while taxien on the runway.

What to do?
    :isadizzy:

Kind regards,
    langereis

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    We have one of these in Tatoi, my club's base, owned by a local shipowner and TV channel owner.
    Guns and passengers..? interesting combo!

The (Formerly?) Swedish 'Sugerland Express' has a similar configuration.

Anyway, thanks John!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by langereis View Post
    Very beautiful plane, but I can't stear it while taxien on the runway.

What to do?
    :isadizzy:
    Try the differential brakes or using seperate throttles as the plane, like the original, has a castoring nosewheel.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

I have just made a test flight. I have to confess that I didn't remember this plane being so good. Perhaps I had tried an early version or something like this, but in my memory this plane had a basic and non-interractive (not clickable) virtual cockpit.
    Here instead, I got into a fully (almost) functionnal VC with everything I needed ! What a pleasant surprise !

The flight around Bowerman was great and the plane behaved quite nicely. I would simply have five remarks:

1- I could not start the engines. Perhaps I need to ****, but basically I tried to switch them on exactely like in the B-17 or P-47 Accusim
    - Batteries ON
    - Props RPM 70%
    - Mixture full rich
    - magnetos BOTH
    - Enegizer ON (here I get no sounds or anything like that, so I don't know if it was really working or not...)
    - Starter ON (no noise, no reaction, just like if I had no more batteries... nevertheless, I had Volts and the nav lights were still working...
    I had to cheat and use the keyboard Magnetos commands: M key, then '+' maintained. Both engines started successfully in this way.

2- On final, the last crank of flaps seemed to disrupt my lift... but this one I'll have to check again, perhaps it's just my speed that dropped a bit too much.

3- Cabin lights (not istrument lights) didn't work, but perhaps they work only at night ?

4- taxying was fine once I understood how to use the separate throttles. Was it like this in the real plane as well ? (no front wheel steering and no differential brakes?) EDIT: ah ok, answer is right above my post

5- the windows are a bit too milky, as you can see in the screenshot below. Are the INSIDE windows linked to a texture or not ? If yes, then I can solve it simply by editing the Alpha Channel myself. If not, some material edition would be needed.

A great plane in any case, I think I'm going to fly this one quite a lot. Also, I think I will add the freeware 3D landing lights too, that should be fun
    Thanks again John for the conversion, and thanks to the SOH team who did the original plane :ernae:

SOH A-26 Invader FSX Converted Files Download

Ferry_Vo

Thanks for your quick response. That did the trick!
    Kind Regards,
    Langereis

Bedankt en groeten vanuit Apeldoorn!!!

FSX does a few things differently and I will revisit this plane to tweak a few items from the FS9 version. As noted above, the plane steers by differential braking and rudder as did the original. The way this works in FS is the braking is applied to either side in proportion to the rudder deflection. If you do happen to have dual throttles, even better! Though not as obvious as having nose wheel steering, once you get used to it you will find the takeoff runs much easier with less over controlling.

Currently revising the cyl head and oil temps and may have to adjust the low AOA lift a snitch to help the takeoff rotation (this was a bit of an issue with the FS9 version as well). A myriad of other small issues as well.

T

Daube,

Thank you for the feedback on the interior/VC glass! The opacity is controlled via the alpha channel connected to the VC_Glass_T texture, so making it darker will make the windows clearer from the VC. I noticed them a bit too 'cloudy' this morning too, after flying the aircraft in early hours - it isn't as present during the middle of the day. I'll provide an adjusted VC_Glass_T texture when I upload the files to the SOH library. Regarding the start-up procedure, I remember the aircraft has a gauge that comes into play, to allow you to start the engines in an authentic manner, with the energizer/starter switches. I'll have to check that out and try it out myself - I've been more of a sucker for the Ctrl-E as of late, something that the "2+ year ago me" would have been kicking myself about. : )

When I upload the files to SOH, the models will have bump map support, but the bump maps will be very, very subtle, as I don't really feel the models/textures are in the best format for bump maps, at least at this time. However, by doing this, it does allow others to make their own bump maps, if they wish, to whatever degree of intensity they desire. Also, if larger resolution textures are made, more detailed bump maps can also be made at that time.

Also, with the SOH files, I'll be providing FSX versions of the models I originally made, using Milton's source files, for the "Rude Invader", "Margie", and "CIA" repaints back when this aircraft was originally released for FS9.

When I upload the files to SOH, hopefully tomorrow, or Thursday at the latest, I'll make a post to this thread.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    FSX does a few things differently and I will revisit this plane to tweak a few items from the FS9 version. As noted above, the plane steers by differential braking and rudder as did the original. The way this works in FS is the braking is applied to either side in proportion to the rudder deflection. If you do happen to have dual throttles, even better! Though not as obvious as having nose wheel steering, once you get used to it you will find the takeoff runs much easier with less over controlling.

Currently revising the cyl head and oil temps and may have to adjust the low AOA lift a snitch to help the takeoff rotation (this was a bit of an issue with the FS9 version as well). A myriad of other small issues as well.

T
    That sounds great, Tom! I've always been a fan of the nose steering on the SOH A-26 - very accurate/realistic. I know it will be great to 'see and feel' the updated flight dynamics!
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Be careful not to knock the flight dynamics too far... the fs9 one I thought was fairly accurate... the A-26 not being an aircraft one 'rotates' on takeoff, but fly it off the runway at a shallow angle... The highspeed wing has fairly unique handling with a beast of that weight.

John; I'm working on a set of updated plain metal background textures for the 26 in 2048x2048 if you'd like those for the more detailed bumpmaps at a later point?

Daube: yep, the last notch will do that, its more drag than lift... she's a quirky plane to land, try to maintain around 130mph on final, with 110-115 over the keys, landing fairly flat with little flare, and a touch of power to arrest the descent.

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Wiredly enough the cfg file I had on my computer was missing the {Differential_Braking_Scale =1.0} line.... So yet another thing to add!

T

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I have just made a test flight. I have to confess that I didn't remember this plane being so good. Perhaps I had tried an early version or something like this, but in my memory this plane had a basic and non-interractive (not clickable) virtual cockpit.
    Here instead, I got into a fully (almost) functionnal VC with everything I needed ! What a pleasant surprise !

The flight around Bowerman was great and the plane behaved quite nicely. I would simply have five remarks:

1- I could not start the engines. Perhaps I need to ****, but basically I tried to switch them on exactely like in the B-17 or P-47 Accusim
    - Batteries ON
    - Props RPM 70%
    - Mixture full rich
    - magnetos BOTH
    - Enegizer ON (here I get no sounds or anything like that, so I don't know if it was really working or not...)
    - Starter ON (no noise, no reaction, just like if I had no more batteries... nevertheless, I had Volts and the nav lights were still working...
    I had to cheat and use the keyboard Magnetos commands: M key, then '+' maintained. Both engines started successfully in this way.

There is a word text document in the panel folder of the original FS9 A26
    Here is what it says:

"The included optional A26_engine_start.gau from D. Dawson has been
    modified so the engines can be started using the overhead panel.
    Speaking of which, that is a two step process. First engage the desired
    engine, then click and hold the starter switch for that engine.

To activate the engine start gauge, remove the // from window00 gauge 31
    and ensure you have the latest FSUIPC installed."

Look in the panel folder........

Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Very nice John... having a blast with the old bird!!!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Thanks John, Firekitten and Rick for your explanations.
    Indeed the glass was linked to a texture. I have darkened the Alpha channel.
    Also, the flaps behavior as described here corresponds to what I experienced during my test flight. I'll have to be carefull about that
    Concerning the starter gauge, it looks like I had to ****. As written here, there was a gauge to uncomment in the panel.cfg. I have done that, but unfortunately it seems that it's making my sim crash upon aircraft loading, may it be in game or on freeflight creation screen. I noticed that before the uncomment, the aircraft was taking ages to load (more than 5 seconds) before finally appearing on the preview window. Perhaps this is linked ?

Update - Bump Maps and Other Things

I love the screenshots posted! Thank you Roger and Ted!

Rachael, regarding the higher resolution textures you're working on, that sounds awesome!! And I would certainly love to use them to create new bump maps when the time comes! And regarding the specialized model for the "Fire Eaters" scheme(s), I still have my mind set on providing that for you.

All of the models now have bump maps made and assigned. I also have finished reproducing the early gun-nose variant. While making the early gun-nose variant, I re-scaled and re-mapped all of the guns, so I will be replacing the guns on the other models now as well. I also want to re-map the control yoke and column in the VC's. I have also darkened the alpha channel for the VC glass a bit, so that it is clearer. Other than that, exporting a couple of other variant models, and packaging it all together, I think it is fairly well set towards an upload to the SOH library.

Here are some screenshots of the early gun nose variant, with a couple of repaints of Damian Radice's which were made for this specific model type back in FS9. There are bump maps in-place, and although subtle, you should still see some of the effects of them at work in the screenshots. Although I'm going to include this model and two others, that didn't come with the original FS9 package, they will be provided in a way that is off-set, so you can choose to install them if you want to or not.

Woooo-Hoooooo!!!! Excelenté!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Thanks so much for the update!

Visit my website www.scale-aviation.com

Thrilling. I must say that the freeware showing up on this site recently is simply amazing. :salute:

Well, I think everything is ready for upload to SOH, with all of the latest additions/modifications. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to package it all together and upload it, so that some more time can be spent looking things over.

Anyone who has seen the old Jeff Ethell A-26 check-out film from the "Wonderful World of Warbirds" series should know this aircraft. By bumping up the alpha channels, you can really make this thing shine in FSX.

Just a few minor revisions to the flight dynmics, small tweaks really, but FSX and FS9 do some things differently. Indeed the plane does not leap of the runway, but the initial pull is sometimes problematic. In the original FS9 bird, some minor modification of the very low AOA lift and pitch was necessary to get a realistic takeoff. Part of this is due to the way FS in general treats horiz stabs and elevators, and also prop blast.

A great Milton Classic, glad to see it getting a new life!

T

John... lov'n the polished beauty!!!

Not as nice as yours... a little dx3 polish!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    John... lov'n the polished beauty!!!

Not as nice as yours... a little dx3 polish!

Can we get a plain jane aremetal with no markings?

John; Cool, I'll get cracking on the new set, same mappings? (I presume so) will work as fast as possible!

As for the fire eaters one, thankyou! basically use the glass nose C, but make the upper solid, as though it was simply replaced with a metal cover, but same shape...

Will knock up a set of 'Tanker 57' Fire Eaters textures for this on the new base textures when done, and an fs9 version not to leave out our neighbors.

Members who have read this thread: 113