RA-5C Vigilante
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RA-5C Vigilante

RA-5C Vigilante

Keep going back to this old favorite . .
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

There is definitely something about the lines on that plane - it's one of my favorites as well :ernae:

In Sunnyvale, CA, near Moffett Field (KNUQ).
    I have a different RA-5C, but it really is a joy to fly.
    -Brian
    Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man. Landing is the first.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What RA-5's are there for FS?
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

The one I fly when I get that Vigilante urge is Obio's rebuild/mod of the Alphasim bird. It's in the FS2004 aircraft library.

LA
    ...things will go as they will; and there's no use hurrying to meet them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    What RA-5's are there for FS?
    Three that I'm aware of. A freeware version by Kazunori Ito and another by Massimo Altieri. And the now freeware one by Michael Davies/Alphasim.

OBIO did a lot of work on the Alphasim one here are Sim-Outhouse. I've just sent OBIO's model and texture masters to Antonio Diaz (lots of E-2C and S-3B repaints recently) to have a look at so we may be seeing some new RA-5C texture sets coming out. I did a search for "vigilante" at Simviation.com and found examples (originals/updates/repaints) of all three versions.
    :ernae:

The screenies at the top are of OBIO's repaint and re-worked model (with a few embellishments from me), based on the Alphasim Viggie, originally I believe an FS2002 model which still looks the business today IMHO. :salute:
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Some very nicely done artwork and examples of paint schemes here: http://www.markstyling.com/ra-5c.01.htm

Really is a lovely bird-gear up, cleaned up passing over the Forrestal as we did a re-spot after launch-going vertical,full burner-till it was out of sight!

I was in RVAH-9 (Hoot Owls) from 1970-74, Jet mechanic...had to climb those intake ducts after every trap to check for FOD damage
    Ahh, the smell of kerosene exhaust in the morning........better then a cup of coffee!

Are there any more HEAVY members out there?

Attachment 64941
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Rick, I was a Heavy "wannabe". When stationed at Pax River in the early 70s, I put in for a transfer to one of the RVAH squadrons. I think it was one at Key West..can't recall. The transfer would have meant a guy with that squadron would have swapped duty stations with me.

But what happened was my unit at Pax River did some checking on my replacement. Turned out he was a real dirt bag, so they nixed my transfer request. That's the closest I ever got to a heavy squadron.

We did, however, have two Viggies at Pax when I was there. Helped work on them a couple times.

The Viggie, in my opinion, was one of the most beautiful jets the USN had in it's inventory, ever. Sleek, powerful, and a joy to watch fly overhead....

NC

Hooters!

Expat-Great repaint!

She was a sweet bird and great to work on......

Rick

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Rick, I was a Heavy "wannabe". When stationed at Pax River in the early 70s, I put in for a transfer to one of the RVAH squadrons. I think it was one at Key West..can't recall. The transfer would have meant a guy with that squadron would have swapped duty stations with me.

But what happened was my unit at Pax River did some checking on my replacement. Turned out he was a real dirt bag, so they nixed my transfer request. That's the closest I ever got to a heavy squadron.

We did, however, have two Viggies at Pax when I was there. Helped work on them a couple times.

The Viggie, in my opinion, was one of the most beautiful jets the USN had in it's inventory, ever. Sleek, powerful, and a joy to watch fly overhead....

NC

The Vigilante Squadrons moved in Jan 1974 from NAS Albany, GA to NAS Key West....got two weeks basket leave on the move!

And before they converted her to recon and added extra fuel tanks and the recc canoe on her belly, she was to drop Nukes out of the bomb bay between the engines
    The tail cone was to pop open and act as fins on the way down-

Out at Fallon one time, we had an Air Force Pilot on a three month cross training( A. J. Showers was his name)

After we completed this part of our carrier qual training, on departing ,A.J. held her on the deck at about 200 feet in full burner for what seemed like a 30 seconds, pulled the stick back to go vertical and at the same time pulled the fuel dump handle(dump tube comes out below the port engine). He flew out of sight with at least 200 feet of buring fuel trailing behind him....

What a show!

Rick

Get the AB to work from the throttles, play around with the lights (I had to switch the red beacons to "#2 " strobes for the them to work right), get some heavyish smoke going and then top it off with this fairly ancient sound file by Eric Cantu and listen to the almighty howl of those J-79's !!!

<CENTER>FS2002 - FS2002 Sound</CENTER><CENTER>FS2002 Sound--Lockheed F-104
    </CENTER><CENTER>[ Download | View ] </CENTER>
    Name: lf104snd.zip
    Size: 3,682,163 Date: 01-25-2003 Downloads: 6,585

FS2002 Sound--Lockheed F-104 Starfighter. Here's your chance to hear what the infamous missile with a man in it sounded like. Includes full suite of startup and shutdown sounds, including noise of start cart. Recorded from real recordings of an F104 Star Fighter equipped with the J79. By Erick Cantu.
    <CENTER>
    </CENTER>

Just to show how one can have fun modding an older model like this, I have installed the "realistic HUD" by Scott Printz and Jivko Rusev
    on the RA-5C (the Viggie IRL had one of the very early such displays).

This one is cool in that the "9.6 TCN" reading is the actual distance between the plane and the Javier Nimitz (9.6 miles off shore) and the green mark highlighted with the red arrow is the bearing to fly to rendevous with the CV. Last, the green arrow in the red box is the direction the CV is heading. This is all very useful and fun to have when trying to find a moving carrier in the dark or bad weather. Better still you can do this with CarrierTracks and the default moving carriers in FSX. You need to tune your Nav to 112 for Javier's Nimitz and 111 for the default cvs. Happy hunting.

You can get the HUD here: http://forums.vrsimulations.com/foru...php?f=7&t=2110

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Keep going back to this old favorite . .
    One of the few aircraft I actually enjoyed making . I can still see the normals/vertices folding over on the intake tops and casting poly shadows, golly I anguished over those for weeks, wish I had Max back then, so much easier and nicer to bend polys with than Gmax and the silly poly limit we had way back then....think it was about 45K, most modern VC joysticks beat that in one part these days!!, silly how we managed to build a whole aircraft for what now covers a joystick or ejection seat in poly count.

Gents, over on flightsim.com, A. Diaz has released more paints for the Viggie. Continuing on his now long line of naval aircraft repaints, including most of the Abacus FD series and some great ones for the FS9 DSB/Iris S-3 and A-7, they look good in FSX too!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by michael davies View Post
    One of the few aircraft I actually enjoyed making . I can still see the normals/vertices folding over on the intake tops and casting poly shadows, golly I anguished over those for weeks, wish I had Max back then, so much easier and nicer to bend polys with than Gmax and the silly poly limit we had way back then....think it was about 45K, most modern VC joysticks beat that in one part these days!!, silly how we managed to build a whole aircraft for what now covers a joystick or ejection seat in poly count.
    Time to do a new one???

Its one of my old alltime favorites and I fly all 4 in FSX with Alphasim modernized gauges (e.g. off SR71) and it is fine and a gracefull look,but just imagine what HD textures and a bump map could do to THAT beautiful plane

My 2 cents as non modeller at all

Roland

Gents, over on flightsim.com, A. Diaz has released more paints for the Viggie.
    Just noticed these!. Very realistic looking based on real photos. This plane was usually big, fast, loud and filthy!

One of the few aircraft I actually enjoyed making
    Michael, all your work is top notch but you really nailed this one. The shape is perfect and it stands up so well after a number of years. b/t/w - the low polys are a bonus with the AI Viggies I have camping at NAS Key West!

Always better looking cleaned up flying than on the ground but having fun populating NAS Key West circa mid seventies. Using a MAIW airbase scenery that ports fairly well into FSX.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder100 View Post
    Time to do a new one???

Roland
    Maybe, it flits in and out of my interest bubble more than most aircraft, the only trouble with the Viggi is the lack of real detailed VC info and for today's models you really need all the nuts and bolts etc to pass muster, or more correctly, more than interests me LOL, we'll see, I'm not committing to anything FS for some time, need to find a balance of interests at the moment and catch up on hobbies neglected over the years by being 100% FS orientated.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Just noticed these!. Very realistic looking based on real photos. This plane was usually big, fast, loud and filthy!

Michael, all your work is top notch but you really nailed this one. The shape is perfect and it stands up so well after a number of years. b/t/w - the low polys are a bonus with the AI Viggies I have camping at NAS Key West!
    Your too kind , the shape isn't too bad I suppose, certainly not top shelf any more, but reading recent posts by a few, there seems to be a growing band of those just out for fun and not minding the older style of simpler model making?.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder100 View Post
    Time to do a new one???

Its one of my old alltime favorites and I fly all 4 in FSX with Alphasim modernized gauges (e.g. off SR71) and it is fine and a gracefull look,but just imagine what HD textures and a bump map could do to THAT beautiful plane

My 2 cents as non modeller at all

Roland
    I disagree. What we need is more P-51Ds, more early mark Spitfires, and what – only two Beechcraft Barons – however will we survive? Our real crisis, however, is with F/A-18 Hornets. With only the 3 versions including MS A/C models , MS/CS B/D models, and the VRS versions E/F models, the scarcity of Hornets is getting severe. Thankfully, we have another A/C model is on the way.

Of course, I’m being facetious – tastes and market behaviours are statistically biased to the familiar, so I understand the compulsion for developers, especially payware ones, to follow suit. But bravo to those developers who brought us interesting, off-the-beaten path – yet iconic aircraft that most of us may never even see in museums, much less have seen flying. Hopefully my personal hope is that FSX FJ- Furies, F-4 Phantoms, CF-100s, F-8s, and small-wing U-2s will someday grace our skies. And an FSX Vigi? You bet – I’d get one in a heartbeat. In the interim, maybe Falcon409 could work his magic on the VC textures on the Alphasim model?

Question – where are the 4 Vigis? I know only of AS and Altieri’s, and I suspect Abacus did one. Whose is the 4th?

Thanks!

DL

PS - any screens of the Diaz RVAH-11 paint? That's my favourite Vigi scheme - not at sim pc for a few days ... looks lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by michael davies View Post
    need to find a balance of interests at the moment and catch up on hobbies neglected over the years by being 100% FS orientated.

Michael
    That I understand VERY well

Just there are dreams

take the Alphasim Vigilante
    Textures to 2048
    Bumpmaps
    FSX output-then we could use other (non accurate) interiors
    FSX animations of that famous mixer steering
    a 2 D VC just with a far higher texture resolution,where we could place the gauges flat in.

Now then again there are FAR more important things in life-then such a beautiful plane(by all standards**)

Best regards

Roland

**All Standards-I love Connies and was in about most development groups-still so the Vigilante has something

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Question – where are the 4 Vigis? I know only of AS and Altieri’s, and I suspect Abacus did one.
    Whose is the 4th?
    I saw something over on Razbam's facebook page this morning.
    Looked a bit like a Vigilante panel but I might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    PS - any screens of the Diaz RVAH-11 paint? That's my favourite Vigi scheme - not at sim pc for a few days ... looks lovely!
    I have some textures he sent me this past weekend after I hooked him up with OBIO's
    paint kit. I've sent him back some feedback covering a few things I noticed. These
    are WIP and also from FS9 so please excuse the ugly water color (I know we're standing
    in the FSX room but does anyone recall a solution for that?).

If anyone has any comment on the accuracy of the underside dirt/grime this would be
    the time to comment. Otherwise he'll probably use this as a common template for all
    of his repaints.

Attachment 65472

Attachment 65473

Members who have read this thread: 67