Installation guides for ETO and Rising Sun

Thread: Installation guides for ETO and Rising Sun

Hybrid View

Installation guides for ETO and Rising Sun

CFS3 has been kept alive (like all MS sims until now) by add-ons developed mainly by enthusiasts. The biggest add-ons for CFS3 are the expansions: Korean Skies, PTO Solomons, Mediterranean Air War (MAW) and now ETO and PTO Rising Sun. The last two are by far the biggest and need some care when installing, so Installation Guides have been written to lead the inexperienced user through the process.

This thread contains links to the written guides and Tailwind's excellent video guides. These condense the findings of many users in previous sticky threads. We hope you find them useful!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

ETO 1.0 and 1.2 installation guide

A new guide to installing ETO 1.0 and 1.2 is now available in the Warbirds Index, CFS3 Other section. This collaboration between Grizzly50 and myself compiles information from the ETO Expansion Download Links, Comments, Questions sticky and the instructions supplied with ETO and includes many screenshots to guide the user through the process.

I'm not saying the official instructions are faulty - all you need is there - but many of our new visitors are less familiar with file and folder fiddling than some of us. This guide was compiled to help them get up and running more easily with ETO.

The same questions keep cropping up in the sticky thread:-

•I've got lots of add-ons installed to CFS3 - do I have to dump the lot?
    •I made a mess of it and reinstalled ETO and it still doesn't work, help!
    •Why doesn't ETO work on my Vista system?
    •I can't get ETO to run anything but Attack in the West '40!

and I hope this guide will help answer them and lift some of the burden from rbp71854 and Ursa Major himself, Grizzly50, who has worn out several keyboards and his annual PM quota answering cries for help.

Main topics covered are:-

•I want to keep my existing CFS3 (using MultiCFS3)
    •Installing ETO
    •Editing ETO Batch files
    •If it goes wrong
    •Deleting a faulty installation
    •Updating ETO to version 1.20

Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 are all covered, as are the 64-bit versions. The guide is a single .pdf file - all you need is Acrobat Reader to view.

eto_installation_guide.zip -- http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=13&id=6698

Many thanks to those who contributed to the sticky:-
    0-1Driver, Grizzly50, rbp71854, Talon, cristiano103, middle, Tailwind
    - and many others.

Should you spot a mistake in this guide - LET ME KNOW PRONTO! Thanks!

The Guide was originally in the Warbirds Archive - CFS3 Other section. It's now in the Warbirds Index file library and the above link is to that copy.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Rising Sun installation guide

There is a new, fully illustrated guide to installing the PTO Rising Sun beta expansion for CFS3 in the downloads library, section CFS3 Other.

This reworks the original instructions by rbp71854 and Grizzly50 and adds essential contributions by mrjmaint and Italflyer.

Installation to XP, Vista and Windows 7 are fully covered, both 32-bit and 64-bit, and screenshots from the entire process are included. I hope the community finds this helpful!

If you find any errors, please let me know pronto!

PTO Rising Sun Installation Guide:- http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=13&id=5263
    Tom

Video guides for installing ETO in Windows XP 32 Bit

Instructions for ETO 1.0, 1.20 and 1.40 onto Windows XP 32 bit operating system

Version 1.0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDSAnaB-o_E

REV 1.20
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh-YgKeqqTU

Rev 1.40
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQHycWmATWY

Cheers
    TW

(originally posted by Tailwind)
    Tom

Video guides for installing ETO in Windows 7 64 bit

Installing ETO onto Windows 7 64 bit operating system.

Note: Installing ETO 1.0 requires making a small change to security rights on the ETO main game folder. Please review the process and proceed only if you feel this is within your comfort level

ETO v1.0 Windows 64 bit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaeCYsrLI2k

ETO upgrade to v1.20 Windows 64 bit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jggfk-bytFI

ETO upgrade to v1.40 Windows 64 bit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoZzi1YGVao

Cheers
    TW

Tom

Video guide to ETO multiplayer Windows 7 64 bit fix

Hello
    Instructions on how to fix the ETO multi player aircraft miss match error on Windows 7 64 bit operating system

http://youtu.be/XgiEcL_6hmQ

Cheers
    TW

Tom

common.dll

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    CFS3 has been kept alive (like all MS sims until now) by add-ons developed mainly by enthusiasts. The biggest add-ons for CFS3 are the expansions: Korean Skies, PTO Solomons, Mediterranean Air War (MAW) and now ETO and PTO Rising Sun. The last two are by far the biggest and need some care when installing, so Installation Guides have been written to lead the inexperienced user through the process.

This thread contains links to the written guides and Tailwind's excellent video guides. These condense the findings of many users in previous sticky threads. We hope you find them useful!
    Hi there iv`e just loaded ETO 1 and ETO 1.20 but starting it fails as that common.dll is missing,any ideas?
    alcanallen

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by alcanallen View Post
    Hi there iv`e just loaded ETO 1 and ETO 1.20 but starting it fails as that common.dll is missing,any ideas?
    alcanallen
    just find a copy of the requisite file from another cfs3 instal, and paste it into the ETO folder. Hopefully it is as simple as that!

Eto 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post
    just find a copy of the requisite file from another cfs3 instal, and paste it into the ETO folder. Hopefully it is as simple as that!
    Thanks all iv`e tamed the beast now on to ETO 1.4!

No, they can be installed in another directory or another drive altogether. Just pay close attention to the existing CFS3 and intended ETO directory addresses when installing ETO.
    Ok, I kinda lost here and AGAIN fail to install ETO. Could someone please give me step-by-step instructions for installation under Win7 64 Ultimate?

1) I have CFS 3 (patched to 3.1a, w/o no-cd) installed in "D:\Games\CFS 3".
    2) I run CFS3 ETO Expansion Rev 1.0 and at the first prompt input "D:\Games\CFS3 ETO" path.
    3) I do the same at the second prompt ("D:\Games\CFS3 ETO").
    4) CMD window opens, I press any key, it runs few lines very quickly and closes; it doesn't ask anything about overwriting.
    5) On the next prompt (CFS3 ETO Expansion Rev 1.0) I input "D:\Games\CFS3 ETO\CFS3 ETO Expansion".
    6) After installation is done, MultiCFS3.exe starts. But instead of "CFS3 version 3.1 found" it reads "MLD Patcher", and I can only close it.

What exactly am I doing wrong?

Live: Western Maryland. From: North Central West, By God, Virginia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dornil View Post
    Ok, I kinda lost here and AGAIN fail to install ETO. Could someone please give me step-by-step instructions for installation under Win7 64 Ultimate?

1) I have CFS 3 (patched to 3.1a, w/o no-cd) installed in "D:\Games\CFS 3".
    2) I run CFS3 ETO Expansion Rev 1.0 and at the first prompt input "D:\Games\CFS3 ETO" path.
    3) I do the same at the second prompt ("D:\Games\CFS3 ETO").
    4) CMD window opens, I press any key, it runs few lines very quickly and closes; it doesn't ask anything about overwriting.
    5) On the next prompt (CFS3 ETO Expansion Rev 1.0) I input "D:\Games\CFS3 ETO\CFS3 ETO Expansion".
    6) After installation is done, MultiCFS3.exe starts. But instead of "CFS3 version 3.1 found" it reads "MLD Patcher", and I can only close it.

What exactly am I doing wrong?
    Dornil,

First of all, stock CFS3 install should be at base loaction you itend for ETO.

If you do not already have it, please get the ETO 1.0 & 1.20 Installation Guide.zip here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...nks_search.php

It states what you must do to the MASTERSTARTUP. and ETOGLSwapper.bat files. The new pathway to the D drive must be edited as a new location into these files when installing to a location other than C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion\global_layer.

Also, check out Tailwind's fine ETO Installation videos for Win 7, 4-bit: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...and-Rising-Sun

Tooth, Fang, & Claw

Another use for sheep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

CFS3 ETO in WIn10

Got CFS3 working with help from here. Much thanks.

So then tried ETO.

Reinstalled ETO 1.0 from the download, at "C" drive, in a new folder "C\Program (x86)\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion". ( my original install was on "F" drive dedicated to Win XP programs.)

Got up to the MDL Patcher, and it wouldn't accept "CFS3 ETO Expansion..." as a name. (Do I need to label this for the other copy, not the ETO use?)

After several failed tries, I concluded ETO 1.0 (an XP program) might be less compatible with Win 10 than ETO 1.50

Soooo..., I copied the complete ETO 1.50 program files to the C drive; edited the MASTERETOSTARTUP,dat to the correct "C" drive addresses, edited the Swapper file to "C" drive target, and the popup when it runs is the command window asking for "any key" to change layer files. No choice of layers first. Then it runs Layer 1 window, and after 2 windows of "UnitData Model name "bob_do17z2_Sk+ba" alrady used!" and another for "h75a3, then I get a CFS3 screen " The configuration override file is either corrupted or missing. Please rerun CFS3. CFS3 will now exit."

Can I paste in the uncorrupted "configuration override file", and if so where form and its name please?

Otherwise, I'm stuck for ideas. The clean instal fails at MUlti CFS3 (the MDL patcher); and shifting and editing the swapper & Startup fails too.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Members who have read this thread: 54