Spitfire women

Thread: Spitfire women

Spitfire women

Check out this documentary from the BBC. It was broadcasted today on Dutch Television,
    You can still check it out for a few days.
    The subtitles are in Dutch

http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/afleveringen/1251129

Between 1939 en 1945, 185 remarkable women were part of the ‘Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA)’, an organisation responsible to get planes to the frontline from Spitfires to Lancasters.

Highly recommended.

Enjoy, Cheers, Rob
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

SOH-CM-2023
    The Uk Yesterdays channel has been showing a slightly different version that also interviews some of the remaining male pilots too - cant remember it proper title at the mo!
    I was interested because my father was an ATA pilot from the end of 1943 flying mainly single engine types & some of the 'aircrew collection' flights in Ansons. 32 different types I think are registerd in his log book ( that includes different marks of one type). He said that they were given the rather scant pilots notes & told to take it away! Wise ones sat in the cockpit for a few hours learning where all the knobs & switches were when introduced to a new type. One must not forget that they had no radio or armament........
    He eventually knew where he was as he could recognise church steeples!!!! Thats real VFR!!
    Keith

Hoi Rob,

Watched the programme (by coincidence). Was very interesting indeed. These gals did an awesome job.

Groeten,
    Maarten

Members who have read this thread: 1