RE: WWII Era 4"x5" Kodachrome Photos.....

Thread: RE: WWII Era 4"x5" Kodachrome Photos.....

RE: WWII Era 4"x5" Kodachrome Photos.....

Hi All,
    You might be familiar with some of these wonderful Kodachrome photos covering the home front. From war production work at the factories to running of the railroads. However, I think you'll find some 'new' ones too like I did. Sadly, I don't think America will experience again this 'can do' attitude that prevailed during the war years.
    (You may have to copy/paste the link into your browser.)

http://pavel-kosenko.livejournal.com/303194.html?thread=22669914

..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

Members +
    Reminds all WW2 was a maximum effort by all!..The role of women,being a great part of the effort.not only in the factories ,but in the sky's as well.Remembering those days,moms with kids, Husbands over seas some where,off to the plants,with other women at home picking up the slack.They then the grand parents.Even the younger kids,in Scrap Drives,gathering all Metals and items for the War effort.The Rationing,for food ,and gas!.It was bitter sweet of course,the War took many if not all out of the great depression.for many it was a better home front life,and for so many others it was it was the ultimate effort,They gave it all, never to come home!The Telegram then was a feared thing to receive,they never had good news!.Its called now the Greatest Generation!...I think any American Generation is the Greatest.,if tasked and lead!...But in those days of uncertainty,apprehension, sacrifice,loss of loved ones,No one thought that!..For then nothing was a sure thing,The daily Papers reflecting the now historic battles.,great losses,...The Homes reflected this...those Little banners with a star in home Windows...Some had multiple stars,and some were not Blue,but Gold....Proudly Displayed .Hung with Tears,Pride,and longing.....And So It Was!....Thanx,Most impressive, A Keeper!

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beana51 View Post
    Reminds all WW2 was a maximum effort by all!..The role of women,being a great part of the effort.not only in the factories ,but in the sky's as well.Remembering those days,moms with kids, Husbands over seas some where,off to the plants,with other women at home picking up the slack.They then the grand parents.Even the younger kids,in Scrap Drives,gathering all Metals and items for the War effort.The Rationing,for food ,and gas!.It was bitter sweet of course,the War took many if not all out of the great depression.for many it was a better home front life,and for so many others it was it was the ultimate effort,They gave it all, never to come home!The Telegram then was a feared thing to receive,they never had good news!.Its called now the Greatest Generation!...I think any American Generation is the Greatest.,if tasked and lead!...But in those days of uncertainty,apprehension, sacrifice,loss of loved ones,No one thought that!..For then nothing was a sure thing,The daily Papers reflecting the now historic battles.,great losses,...The Homes reflected this...those Little banners with a star in home Windows...Some had multiple stars,and some were not Blue,but Gold....Proudly Displayed .Hung with Tears,Pride,and longing.....And So It Was!....Thanx,Most impressive, A Keeper!
    Amen to that!! What everyone seems to forget is most of the GIs doing the hard fighting in Europe or Asia were products of the Depression, they grew up in want and for many the America they knew before the war was a place of shortages, hunger and doing without. Yet they gave without stint when asked to, as mentioned, some to the ultimate extent. Dad left home at age 16 (1932) because it meant one less mouth to feed, and from then until 1941 he wandered the U.S. and Canada, working where and when he could. CCC camps, WPA projects, picking fruit and vegetables, fighting forest fires by hand - he did it all. I remember him talking about riding a fast vegetable train (they actually were run ahead of the big-name "flagship" trains on the big railroads - like the CP, CN, GTW, AT&SF, CB&Q, UP, MoPac, Katy, StL&SF and others) one time because their cargo was highly perishable and had to get to market fast. You wanna travel fast as a hobo, you take one of these. These cars were iced, not mechanically refrigerated, so they got priority routing. He and some other guys rode in a lettuce car and were so hungry, yet all they had to eat was lettuce so that's what they had. Yet he volunteered his draft in January 1941 and joined the Army, wound up in some vicious hand-to-hand fighting in the Aleutians and then with 3rd Army through Europe to VE Day. In Germany it was "strengst verboten" to provide any food to the German civilians, they were either on their own or got their food through the German Red Cross or other means. I can remember him telling us, my sister and I, about how he and the other guys in the battery would sneak food at least to the kids as often as they could, or leave it where it could be easily found, because they could remember what it was like to be hungry and to feel overwhelmed as a child or adolescent. He wasn't even born in this country to boot, but gained his citizenship legally. You don't find much of that any more.

Charter Member 2011
    Like vinyl LP's, the 4x5s have an analogue vibrancy not easily matched in the digital age.
    Truly a great series of shots from another time, another style of doing things.
    Wonderful to see, thanks for the link.