Crosswind taxi wandering

Thread: Crosswind taxi wandering

Crosswind taxi wandering

Deciding to do some local flying the gusty crosswinds here are pushing my 747 around like a wallowing whale as I taxi around. A real one would hold its ground track but FS ones don't. Is there anything to do to help an aircraft be less responsive to wind gusts while on the ground?

After some trials, it seems that moving the main gear contact points aft a little helps. Is that the best option?
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

This seems to be an even greater issue in FS9 than FSX. Moving the gear contact points aft causes other issues, such as making rotation on takeoff more difficult. The real wale does rock and roll a bit in a good crosswind. However it does do OK even though the nose gear has in reality very little weight on it. where the plane does have an issue is when the surface is very slick, the nose gear skids easily.

Good luck! T

Indeed every change here will cause another effect there. However, in this case the move caused little problem with rotation and better ground tracking.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I read somewhere, in the recent past and right here in this forum, about FS9 having an issue with the surface the aircraft is on always being too "slick." I guess based on this person's opinion there should be more friction at all points where an aircraft's wheel touches the tarmac. Of course, not so much it's like flypaper - but more friction nonetheless. According to him it's in the basic programming for the sim, rather than in individual aircraft files. However, since we don't have access to the programming I suppose we'll have to do it one aircraft at a time.

PS - thanks for the steer to those sceneries. Will be exploring for them soon, and will try an installation or two. After that, I'll helo down and get some photos.:salute:

Also surf on over to Bob Holland's website - http://www.bobholland.com/fs/default.htm - which is crammed with FS goodies including where the anomalies are. FlightSim, among other places, offer fix files for the most prominent ones. Come to think of it, I wonder if you fix them for the default game first, would an addon mesh then work correctly? Might have to try that.

FS9 has too much static and rolling friction and not enough lateral friction. There is fix for the former but not the latter. FSX has more realistic rolling friction but the lateral is not fully solved.

Eons ago someone posted the change in the fs9 configuration file, but have no idea where it is.

T

The only way I know to help rolling friction for props is the minimum_on_ground_beta and for jets the static_thrust. Both options can cause other problems, not to mention being blasphemous to some.