Dil52's Cape to Cape Flights in the Golden Age Northop Gamma 2A

Thread: Dil52's Cape to Cape Flights in the Golden Age Northop Gamma 2A

Hybrid View

Dil52's Cape to Cape Flights in the Golden Age Northop Gamma 2A

A samll crowd has assembled early this morning, the GlennMiller Band is playing “In the Mood”, and a featured celebrity guest is at hand, which all eyes are focused on at this time. She is none other than Betty Boop!

We’re about climb into the Gamma 2A “Sky Chief.”
    There's no sense in posing for pictures, they don’t even notice me. J

I’m checking my equipment such as gloves, boots (no spurs), helmet, goggles, scarf, hankie, a pair of pliers, E6B, an aviation sextant, kneeboard, and a set of maps, sketches, and notes showing all possible routes, fueling stops, and bonus airports between the Capes.

I wet an index figure and by holding it straight up in the air confirms a slight breeze out of the south west at about 214 degrees, which is also showing on the wind sock down along the runway. The sky is mostly clear blue with a few white cumulus clouds dancing along the horizon to the south.

We heard on a ham operators Hallicrafters SX-9 'Super Skyrider', which he had set up in the terminal, that the weather in Stockholm is rain with a 1000 foot ceiling. Nothing severe the flight's a go!

Flight 1 ENHF - ESSB

Both my mechanic and fabricator told me to do some more testing after they added the cargo bay, but me, OH NO!, I know better. I’ll be fine. After all, I did most of the testing of the Gamma 2A on this very flight and never came up with less than 6% fuel when landing at ESSB.

But today was a different scenario.

First of all I had a 20 to 25 knot head wind blowing squarely up the pitot tube the entire length of theflight.
    Secondly the top speed at FL10-11 was more like 197 KIAS today. I’d been averaging 203 KIAS or better before the retro fit of the mail bin had beenadded.

In an attempt to make it to the required AP ESSB I let the plane run completely out of fuel, turned to approach RW 1L at ESSA and came up short and landed on Sweden’s Highway E4 right at rush hour.
    We were dodging telephone poles and Volvo’s were running into each other and off the road all over the place!

I guess we know the range, time and fuel envelope of the Gamma 2Aa little better.

It was a total mess, but we got to within 1.9 nm of ESSA, which gave us a valid Duenna and landed with no mechanical damage......most pilots would call that a success....a walk away landing!

OK, to make a long story shorter.

I did not make my refueling airport and thus have penalty for needing to refuel at unprepared ESSA.

Penalty 5 hours.

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...01pi6RndC990Q4

Attachment 62879Attachment 62878 Attachment 62880 Attachment 62881 Attachment 62882

Time to regroup and continue on.

Ouch.

Technically, you could also declare this a "crash". Take the one hour penalty, return to Hammerfest and re-fly the leg (not counting the initial time in your flight log.) A lot less costly than taking a 5-hour penalty plus the already accumulated flight time.

Also...

We are now considering giving pilots a "one time" reduced rate on crashes for their first leg. The proposal is now sitting on Miss Nellie's desk. You never know with Miss Nellie...

--Mike
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    Ouch.

Technically, you could also declare this a "crash". Take the one hour penalty, return to Hammerfest and re-fly the leg (not counting the initial time in your flight log.) A lot less costly than taking a 5-hour penalty plus the already accumulated flight time.

Also...

We are now considering giving pilots a "one time" reduced rate on crashes for their first leg. The proposal is now sitting on Miss Nellie's desk. You never know with Miss Nellie...

--Mike
    Thanks Mike,

I was thinking about your first scenerio and, after reading the rules again carefully, I thought it would probably have been better to have crashed than to dead stick the plane onto the the highway. What happened was incredibly awesome in a bad way of course.
    Perhaps Just 1 or 2 minutes more of fuel or a couple thousand feet of glide altitude may have gotten me to ESSB. :mix-smi:

At one point in time, about the middle of the flight (at 100 minutes), I slowed down to under 140 knots thinking perhaps the landing gear was down, because I didn't hear it raise after take-off. The reason being is that I couldn't get her up to, or slightly over, 200 knots at cruise.
    I'm not sure whether Duenna squelched the sound as I didn't hear it come down when I lowered it either. I had no idea whether I was going to see sparks or if it would land on the gear when I touched down. As it turned out the gear was working and the sound was not.

I'll probably take the declared crash option and refly the flight.

If there's is indeed, a one time reduced rate on a crash on the first leg, then I'll put a couple Jerry cans of fuel in her, fly the 18nm from ESSA over to ESSB, which is prepared with fuel tanks, take the penalty, and be on our merry way once again.
    I'll do a, just in case, flight from ESSA to ESSB now. If the rule doesn't change then I'll refly the whole flight. I think I can make it this time if I watch the weather closely and pick a day when the breeze is out of the northeast rather than the sou'wester I we had yesterday.

Making the "just in case" flight now.

ESSA to ESSB

Provisional, tentative, Leg 2 from ESSA to ESSB, Arlanda to Bromma.....just in case!

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...8TSmB55MWXm9v8

Attachment 62916
    Attachment 62917

Fred,

Just got out of Miss Nellie's office. Came in through the opaque glass door and put the "first-leg crash" proposal on her desk. She smiled as she opened up the manilla folder and started to read. And then she stopped, turned in her swiveled chair and stared out the window into the dark wind-swept clouds above.

After a pause, she turned back and said "On the proposal, the answer is No." She shook her head slowly and then added, quietly but firmly, "No one said that this would easy."

So no change.

--Mike
    -Mike

Looking Good here brotha Fred!

I expect to here the whooosh any day now of that Northrop breezin' past.

Well ... I mean if we taking the same route that is ...

Good luck buddy!
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    Looking Good here brotha Fred!

I expect to here the whooosh any day now of that Northrop breezin' past.

Well ... I mean if we taking the same route that is ...

Good luck buddy!

I don't know about catching you, but we have enough time to make one more short flight today into Frankfurt and then we'll be preparing for the Alps flights.
    I wonder if the weather is better in Alps than what I just encountered in Northern Germany.........April showers might bring May flowers, but there's a draw back for pilots hand flying the Alps...........it could get very exciting indeed!

I'm not absolutily sure what route I'm taking at this time.
    I'd really like to fly the Trans-Sahara for the navigational challenge, but am leaning towards taking that mail run bonus.

Isee you’re at the point of making the big decision.

Good luck,

Fred

Dil, When I started my Alps run last night the weather into Bolzano was excellent. Which leads me to believe that it was a trap to draw me into the mountains.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Dil, When I started my Alps run last night the weather into Bolzano was excellent. Which leads me to believe that it was a trap to draw me into the mountains.
    I know what you'fe talking about Willy,

Mountain weather is fickle. It looks nice one minute, but can turn on ya quicker than a raging bull.

It seems the skies are blue, the clouds are white and puffy, and as soon as I descend into an airport it gets as thick as soup!

I see you made it! Nice flight and camera shots. I like the one on the tarmac with the snow covered mountain peaks in the background.

Keep up the good flights.

Leg #3 EDDB-EDDF Complete

Now that my goggles are thawed from my cheeks it’s time to take a break for the night.

I thinkI’ll catch a ride down to one of those places they call Gardens alongthe Rhine and have a couple of those good German barley waters that they talk about.

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...RTTI4tsxQnPPlk
    Attachment 63054Attachment 63053

Commerzbank Tower and Frankfurt Rhine Main approach
    Attachment 63055 Attachment 63056

Thanks Moses

I'm afraid I used up the 15 minutes bonus while lost in the fog.
    I so stressed after forgot to take a screen shot of the flight anaylsis.
    There were a few circles and a tight 180 degrees turn after flying up a box canyon.

Attachment 63191 Attachment 63190

We're heading to Marsielle this morning.

The weather looks about the same this morning, from the field here in Interlaken, as it did last evening.
    FS Real WW shows 4 big blue "L's" and reads "Broken Clouds, vis. 5nm"...........I'd like to know where that is.

Attachment 63192

Dil52

You put in some OT yesterday .... Great Job!

Welcome to Africa .... Good luck over on the coast!
    salt_air

Letter to the Committee

As I was researching statistics on the Gamma 2A I decovered that the maximum gross weight of the Texaco No. 11 was 7000 pounds.
    The maximum gross weight I’ve been flying with so far in the race has been 4490 w/o mail and 4690 w/mail.
    Obviously the additional weight was for fuel so I've made some changes to increase the range.

SOH Committee

Too whom it may concern,

As you can see below the Gamma 2A’s empty weight is 3500 lbs and gross weight 7000 lbs.
    The actual weights in the config file in the FS model are 3300 and 7100 lbs respectfully.

I would like to request an approval for some more changes and alterations that I’ve made to the Northrop Gamma 2A.
    None of these changes have improved the performance of the aircraft.

These are the changes I've made:
    Increased the capacity of the 2 original tanks from 85 gallons each to 96 gallons each, added three wingtanks (left, right, and center) and another auxiliary (center tank) for a total fuel capicaty of 508 gal (3048 lbs.)
    (Note: These total fuel amounts add up to be less than the original as I plan to retain a mail bin and allow for a slightly heavier pilot as well to fall short of the Gamma’s 7000 pound gross weight requirement).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Researched website:

Northrop Gamma 2A Sky Chief Statistics

From the website http://kcbx.net/~mhd/Passions/Northrop/gamma.htm
    S/n 1, Gamma 2A, Texaco No. 11 "SkyChief"
    Single seat.
    Engine: 14 cylinder, twin row Wright Whirlwind GR 1510, 785 hp @ 2,500rpm at 8,000 feet, gearing 8:5,
    Propeller: 10' 3" Hamilton three blade, fixed 31.5_ pitch.
    Weight: Empty; 3,500 lbs.; Gross; 7,000 lbs.
    Speed: Maximum, 248 mph @ 7,000 ft.; Cruising, 220 mph.
    Range: 2,500 miles
    First flown: December 3, 1932
    Delivered: The Texas Company, December 17, 1932 for $40,000.
    Pilot: Frank Hawks. Record: Nonstop L.A. to N.Y., June 3 1933, 13 hrs.27 min.
    Sold to: Garfield "Gar" Wood, August 21, 1934, renamed "KinjocketyIII"
    Pilot:
    Joseph Jacobson.
    Status: Exploded September 4, 1936 near Stafford Kansas, during N.Y. toL.A. Bendix Race.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From Paul Clawson’s CFG Files
    [General]
    editable=1
    performance=Weight:Empty 3300 lbs Gross 7100 lbs\nSpan:48' \n Length:29' 9"\n Speed: 200 mph cruise, 220 mph max\n Ceiling:24500 ft \n Power:700 hp Wright Whirlwind\n Designer: P. Clawson\n Date:6\2006\n
    // ACM V2.5
    max_gross_weight =7100
    empty_weight =3300
    cruise_speed=200
    max_indicated_speed=304
    max_mach=0.46

Note that I have changed the cfg file to a max gross weight of 7000 and an empty weight of 3500 as well.
    I reduced the total weight 100 pounds anad increased the empty weight to 3500 to account for the weight of the empty tanks as fopllows:
    max_gross_weight =7000
    empty_weight = 3500

Test results, using the AFSD program.

Northrop Gamma 2A Sky Chief, AFSD test results
    As required by the rules these figures remain the same:
    cruise_speed=200
    max_indicated_speed=304
    max_mach=0.46

Sea level (500 feet)
    Full Tank: KTAS/ 219, Range 1692
    Half Tank: KTAS 223, Range 842

Critical Altitude 5100 feet test results
    Full Tank: KTAS/MPH 215, Range 1729
    Half Tank: KTAS/MPH 220,Range 875

Illustrations:
    Attachment 63494 Attachment 63495 Attachment 63496

Any consideration of approval reguarding this request will be appreciated!

You decision will be respected,

Dil52

Fred,

We dare not approach Miss Nellie with this one. We're afraid that she'll throw a fit – or something heavier, like a rule book.

Seriously, participants may not change the flight dynamics of the aircraft at this stage. Those flight dynamics include the plane's combination of speed, range, altitude, agility, stability, and so forth. That is the rule. You will understand that in a competitive environment, even in one so friendly and mild as this, we cannot have pilots tweaking their aircraft to suit their needs.

The Paul Clawson Gamma is a particular representation of the Northop Gamma 2A. You are right that it does not have the fuel capacity, and thus the range, of Frank Hawks' plane--but it is also a great deal faster than the original aircraft. (Our own research suggests that the performance is much closer to the speed of the specially-powered Howard Hughes transcontinental record-holder, the Gamma 2G owned by Jacqueline Cochran. For that effort, Hughes installed a different Wright engine and added extra tanks.) The Paul Clawson model might not have the same range/performance that other designers would incorporate, but it is the model that we approved for the White List.

That said, the Clawson Gamma 2A is very competitive in our field of aircraft – it might be the fastest racer. However, it asks for some strategic planning about how to balance speed against range for different sorts of legs during the course of the event.

Hope this helps,
    The Committee

(BTW. We did do some extra research on the Northrop Gamma, and Paul Clawson's attractive model, because it is both the fastest aircraft in the race and also faster than the original. We decided to keep it on the White List because the Gamma is an airplane of real historic interest and character. The limited range compensates for the extra speed to prevent it from simply blowing away the competition.)
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    Fred,

We dare not approach Miss Nellie with this one. We're afraid that she'll throw a fit – or something heavier, like a rule book.

Seriously, participants may not change the flight dynamics of the aircraft at this stage. Those flight dynamics include the plane's combination of speed, range, altitude, agility, stability, and so forth. That is the rule. You will understand that in a competitive environment, even in one so friendly and mild as this, we cannot have pilots tweaking their aircraft to suit their needs.

The Paul Clawson Gamma is a particular representation of the Northop Gamma 2A. You are right that it does not have the fuel capacity, and thus the range, of Frank Hawks' plane--but it is also a great deal faster than the original aircraft. (Our own research suggests that the performance is much closer to the speed of the specially-powered Howard Hughes transcontinental record-holder, the Gamma 2G owned by Jacqueline Cochran. For that effort, Hughes installed a different Wright engine and added extra tanks.) The Paul Clawson model might not have the same range/performance that other designers would incorporate, but it is the model that we approved for the White List.

That said, the Clawson Gamma 2A is very competitive in our field of aircraft – it might be the fastest racer. However, it asks for some strategic planning about how to balance speed against range for different sorts of legs during the course of the event.

Hope this helps,
    The Committee

(BTW. We did do some extra research on the Northrop Gamma, and Paul Clawson's attractive model, because it is both the fastest aircraft in the race and also faster than the original. We decided to keep it on the White List because the Gamma is an airplane of real historic interest and character. The limited range compensates for the extra speed to prevent it from simply blowing away the competition.)

Thanks for the reply Mike,
    I just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask,
    I agree, and apologize for the time and trouble I've caused you to even need to respond.
    I feel really foolish and embarrased by having even asking the question.
    I have the original cfg file, which takes only about one or two seconds tochange back.

Please note that I wasn't trying to gain any advantage, but my thoughts were pure and aimed toward the Gamma 2A Sky Chief's authenticity, as flown in 1933.
    I'd give up the approximately 20 MPH faster top speed at 7000' in exchange for fuel capacity, but that's OK too.

I'm all about authenticity.....the perfect FS aircraft would take into account wear and tear and failute of the engines and air frame if not flown properly or damaged by weather conditions etc.......some day perhaps in the future if MS would only spend more time with that aspect and less time on eye candy.

I now know the limitations of the Gamma 2A very well by now.
    I'll go ahead and fly the western Africa route with the added mail container.

Again, I appreciate the thought that has gone into this entire adventure, and am having no less fun no matter what the limitations.
    To have tested and approved all the various aircraft on the white list is a fantistic accomplishment that speaks volumes of about the wonderful staff and group here at SOH.

Dil52

Man this is a fine documentary ... and a fine lesson in some basic navigation skills the MS "team" failed to provide a platform for ... freeware rules!

Great performance Fred ... welcome to the "D" airport codes and my I introduce you to the Congo River ... very soon ... a Central African navigator's best friend ... east to west that is... 8~ P

Keep on keepin' on bud!
    salt_air

Hi Fred,
    good flights !
    Enjoyed the link to the AE documentation !

Quote Originally Posted by teson1 View Post
    Hi Fred,
    good flights !
    Enjoyed the link to the AE documentation !
    Thanks Gunter,

I'm not surprised you enjoyed that link, as you're our ultimate historian and statistician, never leaving a stone unturned, in your quest for past events in aviation.

Fred

Edit: Fred- I moved your post over here from my thread as I think you had meant to post it in here.
    -Moses

Going to try to make it from Nairobi to HTMB Mbeya, Tanganyika afore night falls!

Whether the weather is cloudy or notl

Attachment 64743

There was a brief thunder shower leaving Nairobi, but 30 minutes into the flight the weather cleared and visibility became unlimited.

I was glad to see that happen since there were some mountain peaks we had to go between and one we actually had to go around.

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=roS8HU4kSroWTq8 FX8ybXPpT9k
    Attachment 64748Attachment 64749

It was nice to see the Great Rift Valley that Moses spotted on his flight to from Nairobi to Mbeya. That's quite a scar on the earth's surface.
    For anyone who's looking for it, the location is somewhere around S6° 34.00' E34° 21.00', as near as I could tell, using the sextant.
    The longitude coordinate is probably more acurate than the latitude coordinate.
    The latitude was best guess from DR timing

Attachment 64750 Attachment 64751

Three different sun shots taken about every 15 minutes (blue and green lines) up to the 2 hour flight time reading (red line).
    The sextant was accurate this time, which should act as a hint for answering the "Quiz" shot on the previous flight.
    No problem, the ADF needle was pointing striaght up as well by that time.
    The shot was just for fun at this point.
    Attachment 64752

Rough descent, approach and landing in the Gamma. The quick descent from the mountain to the north, plus the flaps don't slow her down much.
    Add a grass field and the beads started forming on the forehead. I almost dumped the egg beaters into dirt while braking to a stop.
    Attachment 64759 Attachment 64760

Another fun day flying this great adventure created by a great team here at the SOH.

Thanks again folks!

Dil52

Time to head south again. This will be my flight #23 since I forget mark 22 as complete.

HTMB – Mbeya, Tanganyika [UK] to FLKW – Broken Hill, Northern Rhodesia [UK]

If you see this...........
    Sorry Moses, I must have done too much flying yesterday....forgot where I was posting.

Good stuff, Fred. Amazing navigation there. I did my long DR leg using the SC-3B, but still "cheated" in the sense that I used "SHIFT-Z" to tel me what the wind was. My next challenge is to figure out how to use the sextant.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Leg #22 HKKI-HKNW Complete

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Good stuff, Fred. Amazing navigation there. I did my long DR leg using the SC-3B, but still "cheated" in the sense that I used "SHIFT-Z" to tel me what the wind was. My next challenge is to figure out how to use the sextant.
    That would be great if you do Paul!
    If you need any help just give Austin or I a nudge. We're always looking for others who are interested in the hand held USSGPS (Universe & Solar System Global Positioning System)......no batteries required.
    It is really very simple once you get past the mystique of it.
    It works exactly the same as the GPS only you use planets and stars instead of satelites.

Arrived in FLKW – Broken Hill, Northern Rhodesia
    BTW I believe it's leg 22 not 23.

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=8NbXXK1Zfs4CXJT TAQHGE9DR5gw
    Attachment 64853
    Attachment 64854

A couple of shots

Attachment 64855 Attachment 64856

Dil52

Members who have read this thread: 1