Dil52's Cape to Cape Flights in the Golden Age Northop Gamma 2A - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dil52's Cape to Cape Flights in the Golden Age Northop Gamma 2A

Leg #12 GOOY-GUCY Complete

Another low visibility approach, but a nice NDB to line up with.

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=4HoM7a0KraPM3l2 XIq6KOYUzY

Attachment 63850
    Attachment 63851

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For those how are wondering what I’m doing here with the sextant.

The sextant shots explanation. (Note that this is not verbatum out of Dave B or Marks B's very detailed instructions. This is merely an explanation of how I used the sextant on this particular flight)
    It passes the time.
    (Actually, the whole process takes very little time when everything is set up in the plane. The explanation filled in the boring part of the flight and is what took some time).

Departing at 06:00Z I picked a point 200nm from Dakar in route toGUCY, which should give me an average of 200nm/hour including the climb speed,and turn to course after TO from GOOY etc.
    From the USNO website http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/celnavtable.php I set into the sextant the location I should be in one hour at 07:00Z

Attachment 63852 Attachment 63853

Notice that, on the sextant, I set LAT N12°00’ and LON W15°20’
    Attachment 63854

Also after hitting calculate (the second pic) I see that the sun will be at an azimuth (Zn) of 80.9°, or rounded off to 81, set by the course elevation wheel. The elevation (Hc) will be 16°55’ above the horizon set with the fine adjustment wheel on the sextant.

The Center (Spot) of the graph on the sextant is my destination location or where I should be at 08:00Z
    The blue line is a reading I took at 07:30z just to get an idea of how I was progressing eastward or longitudinally. The distance read 50nm. The green line was a reading taken at 07:45z and the red line is the reading I took at 08:00z.

So at 08:00z I was right where I wanted to be at that time.

Observations:
    1. Being that we’re only 12 degrees above the equator, 1 degree oflongitude is just about the distance of 58nm, or very close to the 60nm at theequator

2. Notice also, on the graph, that the Moon’s azimuth (Zn) is 78.1°andelevation (Hc) is 18° 01.8’ above the horizon as well. Obviously, if it weren’t for the brightnessof the sun we could see the moon as well.

3. Keep in mind that my readings are for April 21, 2012. If you pickan later date the readings will be slightly different.

4. When looking at the sextant graph think of the vertical lines asbeing parallel to the longitude and perpendicular to 90 and 270 degreesrespectfully. When the azimuth of the star, planet, sun or moon are close to anazimuth of (east or west) you’re obtaining accurate longitudinal readings.

5. In retrospect, when the azimuth of the star, planet, sun or moonare close to an azimuth of (north or south) we’re obtaining accurate latitudereadings.
    (In the example above the blue, green and red lines are more vertical so thelongitude reading is what’s accurate.)

6. Being that we’re close to the equator, and it’s spring, the sun will not give us an accurate latitude reading any time ofthe day. As we approach the poles, the sun can be used as a tool for reading latitude as long as we take the reading at high noon and ONLY then.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dil52

Just taking the time to refuel here.
    It looks like the weather cleared up for now so heading to Abidjan if the winds cooperate.
    At some point near W10 I'll take a sun reading, weather permitting, recalculate the fuel, and perhaps need to divert to Monrovia.

Leg #13 GUCY-DIAP Complete

It seems every time I fly a long leg there’s a direct headwind. I can’t remember the wind coming from the east in this case a 20 knot head wind nearly the whole trip until it switched to west at the coast.
    http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=sOxB3UJIYiNzqbw Nb5v6smREgI
    Attachment 63875Attachment 63876

Camera shots:
    1) The savanna in
    Côted'Ivoire makes for and nice scenic flight on a clear day with the differentshades of greens, and blues with mountains and grasslands near stream and lakes.

2) I must be gettingnear the coast, it looks we’re going to get into some weather conditions wherewe once again will need to rely on the ADF to find and airport and runway…..businessas usual this time of year, near the African coast!

3) Not bad, airporst in site.

4)Abidjan and Bingerville, Côte d'Ivoire

Attachment 63877Attachment 63878Attachment 63879Attachment 63880

Man this is a fine documentary ... and a fine lesson in some basic navigation skills the MS "team" failed to provide a platform for ... freeware rules!

Great performance Fred ... welcome to the "D" airport codes and my I introduce you to the Congo River ... very soon ... a Central African navigator's best friend ... east to west that is... 8~ P

Keep on keepin' on bud!
    salt_air

Hi Fred,
    good flights !
    Enjoyed the link to the AE documentation !

Quote Originally Posted by teson1 View Post
    Hi Fred,
    good flights !
    Enjoyed the link to the AE documentation !
    Thanks Gunter,

I'm not surprised you enjoyed that link, as you're our ultimate historian and statistician, never leaving a stone unturned, in your quest for past events in aviation.

Fred

Since we landed in Abidjan at 12:16 will take a customary halfhour to refuel and head out for Lagos, Nigeria. It’s nice to have the coast as abackup visual reference as we’re honing our skills in navigation before settingout once again across the wild back country of Africa.

Leg #14 DIAP-DNMM Complete

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=tLHVX3vdIGvc9j1 S7o4F3cE9Ai4

Attachment 64094
    Attachment 64095

When I stuck a wet fingure in the air, before departing Abidjan, I figured the wind was almost directly out of the north and pretty brisk at times as well.

Once I got over land, I guess it had switched more southerly as visual, electronic, and sextant readings all confirmed I was getting blown inland away from the ocean.

Some corrective actiion brought me back more on course.

Crossing over the Volta River.
    Attachment 64096

During this leg I crossed back over the prime meridiansomewhere near N06°00’ E00°00’, 25nm NNE of Accra, Ghana at 13:50z.
    The sun will be at an azimuth of 288 and an elevationof 62° 50’, which is just below the highest recommended elevation of a starreading.
    Note: A planet, star, sun or moon should be between a Hc of 15 and 65 degrees for accurate readings.

A rare daytime moon and sun shot for a nice location position reading below. This should make for some great daytime sextant navigation for the next week or so since the moon is slowly falling behind the sun’s azimuth and elevation a rate of about 50 minutes a day.
    Also Note: The phases of the moon don't match as we observe it real time either FS9 or FSX; however the rise and set times are always right on, which makes celestial navigation in FS always accruate.
    Notice the moon over the left wing.... and the resultant sextant shots of the moon (blue line) and the sun (red line)
    Attachment 64100 Attachment 64097

Sometime between departure and well into the flight the wind must have changed from the north to more southerly as I found myself northof the flight plan. I’ll need to do better once I start across country.
    Near Cotonou, Benin I ran into some heavy turbulence.
    Found the airport once again, the wind was back from the north..
    Attachment 64098

Dil52

Heading to Libreville, Gabon (FOOL)

Leg #15 DNMM-FOOL Complete

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=u5Qtiv3XODbXIG6 XUFiNDGfY36g

Attachment 64118Attachment 64119

Time17:00z
    SUN Hc + 7° 19.6’ Zn 283.6°
    MOON Hc +62°12.5’ Zn 313°
    I just managed to get a sun and moon shot at 5:00PM, but while approaching a thunder storm the turbulence is throwing this thing around like it Tom Jefferson’s kite.

I was afraid the Sperry’s was gona to overheat tryin to keep this bird on the straight andlevel.

This was a pretty rough flight. this must be the begining of what might end up as the hurricane somewhere,

Winds were out of the southeast with thinderstorms underneath until descent when we flew fight into them.

sun and moon shot
    Attachment 64124 Attachment 64120

Attachment 64121 Attachment 64122 Attachment 64123

Dil52

Quote Originally Posted by Dil52 View Post
    I just managed to get a sun and moon shot at 5:00PM, but while approaching a thunder storm the turbulence is throwing this thing around like it Tom Jefferson’s kite.

Dil52

Some superb airmanship Fred ... Love these screenies too!

Let's see ... would that be the same kite Tom sold to Ben Franklin?

ME: "Do you remember Cary?"

YOU: "Cary who?"

ME: "Carry your butt to Cape Town" ...

Keep it going ... looking fine buddy !

:ernae:
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    Some superb airmanship Fred ... Love these screenies too!

Let's see ... would that be the same kite Tom sold to Ben Franklin?

ME: "Do you remember Cary?"

YOU: "Cary who?"

ME: "Carry your butt to Cape Town" ...

Keep it going ... looking fine buddy !

:ernae:

LOL

I guess I got my history mixed up. Many times I ad-lib and this old brain gets me in trouble. I think it was a kite that Betsy Ross made for Ben which Tom tried it out first. Then Ben flew it one night in a lightening storm with the key to the capital building that he'd tied to the string. When lightning hit the kite it melted the key and zapped two secret service guys that were holding Ben up in the wind with one hand and on to a fence with the other.....Ben was OK though.......it was a mess!

Oh well, it's on to Leopoldville and the Congo, then some visual river and jungle flying from there.

See you at the Cape unless you're going to fly the trimotor. I'd advise against flying the coast this time of year. The weather's pretty bad with headwinds the just might push that Ford backward with a negative GS number. I hope you have plenty of lamp oil to burn to get all those flights in.

Dil52

Leg #15 FOOL-FZAB Complete

I've arrived at the Congo and the city of Léopoldville N'Dolo Belgian

There were thunders storms in the region, but the visibility was great. Just a nice spring rain.
    A great flight!

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=APaNjKHhme2mmDp DSfMjMtv3X8

Attachment 64267 Attachment 64268

Approaching the Congo river valley
    Attachment 64269

Good VFR conditions allowed a short final
    Attachment 64270

By far the shortest runway, so far on this trip, located between high rises on both sides.

Attachment 64271

Time to disable the AP and stow away the sextant.

Attachment 64272

Dil52

Looking good Fred. I seem to be following your lead at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Looking good Fred. I seem to be following your lead at the moment.
    Thanks Moses

I see you've passed me and have completed the VFR flights as well....nice flying at +11900' without breaking through the Golden Age hard ceiling...

Keep up the good work.

Some parts have come in for the Gamma. A landing gear assembly, a fuel, and an OAT gauge are being installed for the visual flights up the Congo and over the mountians and lakes across central and east Africa. In case we get lost the fuel gauges might come in handy....We were able to locate the guages from some parts that the Amelia Earhart team didn't need for the Electra on her flights across Africa in recent years.

We'll soon be ready to crawl out of this gin mill in Léopoldville and get her airborne once again....this is how I'm walking.....

Dil52

We're off to Lisala

Leg #17 FZAB-FZGA Complete

What started out to be rough flying, with thunderstorms and heavy winds, ended with to be a nice clear day with unlimited visibility….the first I’ve seen these conditions since we left the coast.

There was no reason to follow the river and it was enjoyable to see all the green, the lakes, and the Congo in the distance.

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=kL1j3NTTyEd9ugk ZB2WIHXRM4

Attachment 64532 Attachment 64533

1. Rough weather
    2. Lac Tumba
    3. Time to refuel

Attachment 64534 Attachment 64535 Attachment 64536

SOH-CM-2017
    I am really enjoying your narrative Fred. I particularly appreciate the lessons on "old school" navigation techniques. Bravo to you and all of the Golden Age pilots.
    Jeff
    "Providence Permittin"

Quote Originally Posted by jt_dub View Post
    I am really enjoying your narrative Fred. I particularly appreciate the lessons on "old school" navigation techniques. Bravo to you and all of the Golden Age pilots.

Fred is the best Jeff .... not because he's the oldest .... .... but because he's taken the time to figure out what works and just as important, why.

He has a handle on "Old School" from actually using it .... Quite the mentor for me .... everybody out here could pick up a trick or two from him to make the most of the sim.

Cheers,
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by jt_dub View Post
    Thanks Jeff,

Edit: Oh yes and Salt Air....You're too modest....I've learned a lot from you as well!
    hope to see you soon....things are slowing down here a tad at least.

Nice job you did in the modern PC-12.
    I could take a week in Saint Martin without a complaint.

May as we'll head up river to Kisangani since it’s such a nice day.
    I think I'm finally getting this Gamma 2A figured out where she responds to my controls or vice versa. When I get to the city I'm going to go over it carefully looking for stress fractures after the first part of that last flight.

I'll end the day up there in town and perhaps take in a soccer game.......or go to a pub.....or perhaps to church!

Funny thing, sometimes I say "I" and sometimes "we"...........I miss my copilot.......when I get back to South America I'm definately going to look her up. She's is usually unemployed until the money runs out. After hiring her last year to finish the cargo run I had no more mishaps.

This is another visual only with no navigational tools so good weather is a plus/plus win/win scenerio. I hope the air raft doesn't have any holes in it. About the only place for an emergency landing is to ditch it in the river, and from what I understand there are a lot of hungry animals both in the river and along the shore......:eek

Dil52

It's time to head to Kenya and back across the Equator once again.

Leg #19 FZIA-HKKI Complete

Another great day for a VFR flight from Stanleyville, over the Ruwenzori Mountains then Lake Victoria, to Kisumu, Kenya!
    I'm hearing thunder from a distance in Kisumu, but there doesn't seem to be any clouds in the sky?
    No problem, we'll have the use of the homer and sextant once again spot, but no time to stop and rest now...

I flew over a 500 acre island by the name of Bulango in Lake Victoria located 1 minute (1 nm) south of the Equator.
    You can a rent a nice house there for less than the cost of a hotel. I was thinking that would be a nice vacation.

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=2qfohFgR4DL9XON 30oED1XRYU

Attachment 64725
    Attachment 64726

1 Over the mountains and apporaching Lake George
    2 Over Entebbe, Uganda
    3 It's time to refuel, reinstall the radios, and get the sextant back out of the flight bag.
    Attachment 64727 Attachment 64728 Attachment 64729

It is only a short hop now over to Nairobi then south to the Cape from there.

Dil52

Leg #20 HKKI-HKNW Complete

The weather turned in a hurry today.

You could call Nairobi the mile high city of Kenya with an elevation of 5534' ASL at the city airport.

I spent some pretty tense moments flying over the city looking for the Airport.

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=oIYnxL19inOQ7Ol 07kBCe9ciwc

Attachment 64731
    Attachment 64732

Quiz: What’s wrong with this sun shot with the sextant? I shouldn’t be this far from Nairobi with 30 minutes ETE!
    I'll post the answer later if anyone's interested and ventures to guess.
    Attachment 64733

Looking for the city airport.

Attachment 64735 Attachment 64736 Attachment 64737

Attachment 64740

Dil52

Edit: Fred- I moved your post over here from my thread as I think you had meant to post it in here.
    -Moses

Going to try to make it from Nairobi to HTMB Mbeya, Tanganyika afore night falls!

Whether the weather is cloudy or notl

Attachment 64743

Members who have read this thread: 1