Red's Cape-to-Cape Snowbird Adventure - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Red's Cape-to-Cape Snowbird Adventure

Well, the race organizers certainly can't be faulted for picking a boring place for the race to end. Boring does not describe a 2000 foot runway with an offset ILS and loads of terrain issues. And just for more fun, Mother Nature threw in lowered visibility, rain, and a 20-25 knot quartering crosswind. It was indeed a big relief when the tires planted themselves firmly on the ground and the Rockwell came to rest for the final time this race.

And so, Mission Accomplished! Hats off to the organizing committee for an outstanding event that truly was an exercise in strategy, planning, and pilot skill.

Now, I would head to the bar to celebrate, but I'm uncertain if there is one on this isolated Norwegian hamlet....

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...tmwoQL7C8eiz0Y

Congratulations Red! I think the Viking Steakhouse & Motel down the road serves beer.:ernae:
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Excellent run RG. Jeff buying the drinks?

Quote Originally Posted by RedGreen View Post
    Well, the race organizers certainly can't be faulted for picking a boring place for the race to end. Boring does not describe a 2000 foot runway with an offset ILS and loads of terrain issues. And just for more fun, Mother Nature threw in lowered visibility, rain, and a 20-25 knot quartering crosswind. It was indeed a big relief when the tires planted themselves firmly on the ground and the Rockwell came to rest for the final time this race.

And so, Mission Accomplished! Hats off to the organizing committee for an outstanding event that truly was an exercise in strategy, planning, and pilot skill.

Now, I would head to the bar to celebrate, but I'm uncertain if there is one on this isolated Norwegian hamlet....

You wouldn't have had it any other way .... Great Job David!

It is always enjoyable for me to follow your endeavors in these fine events we are privileged to participate in ...

Well balanced narratives .... impeccable timing and and a super sense of humor.

Welcome to Norway bud!
    salt_air

Terrific job, David.

Loved the splendid screenshots that illustrated your story. Made if fun to follow along with you on your adventure in that classic aircraft.

--Mike
    -Mike

Well Done, RG!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Congratulations Red! Well done on completing the course. That small runway in the gloom certainly made a nervous end to the C-to-C for me as well, and a big relief when the aircraft came to a stop. Come and join me and Jeff for a beer and reindeer burger ....:ernae:

SOH-CM-2017

Icon5

Great Run Red! Fastest and most miles travelled. Well Done. Open bar, I've got the tab. :ernae:
    Jeff
    "Providence Permittin"

SOH-CM-2016
    Congratulations!
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

Thanks for the congratulations everyone. It truly is an accomplishment just to finish one of these events, regardless of how you place.

However, there was one last thing I had to do before I put the Rockwell in the hangar for a well deserved rest....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8R23Ps9pmU

SOH-CM-2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGreen View Post
    However, there was one last thing I had to do before I put the Rockwell in the hangar for a well deserved rest....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8R23Ps9pmU
    [Like]

I must have missed reading the rule about bonus time for inverted flight!!
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

Members who have read this thread: 7