What is the strongest tape?

Thread: What is the strongest tape?

What is the strongest tape?

I'm hoping to get some replies similar to OBIO's thread on the rusty bolt.

Recently, my older laptop's top cover containing the screen has started to separate along the left seam down near the hinge. It looks as though the single screw there has broken away. So far, the best tape I have used is adhesive tape as per the medical kind. The problem is that it stretches and has to be reapplied after a few days.

I know I should take it apart and really fix it, but laptops can be a pain to disassemble. I have tried a type of fiberglass tape and although it is great for not stretching, it's adhesive qualities give way too easy.

So, lol, suggestions....
    Matt

No matter what kind of tape you get make sure it is has the 3M brand mark on it. That is always the best tape. Now which tape to use is another question and one I can not answer.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

I find the handyman's secret weapon (duct tape) solves most problems, and will also give your cover a distinctive silver shine sure to be the envy of do-it-yourselfer's everywhere.

A more permanent fix would be a dab or two of crazy glue.... realistically, how many time have you ever had to pop open a lap top cover anyway?

If it were me, I'd head down to the auto parts store and buy a couple rolls of the stainless steel exhaust repair tape. It's super strong; the longer it is on the more it bonds; and gives a really trick look....a pimped out stainless steel encased laptop would be the envy of all the techies and nerds.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have an old laptop that was comming apart on the sides of the monitor frame. Some strips of duct tape fixed it fine.

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks! I kinda like the stainless steel idea. The laptop is black, so silver racing stripes should do the trick nicely.!!!

Thanks all!
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by 1pepito2 View Post
    realistically, how many time have you ever had to pop open a lap top cover anyway?
    Several times a day. I am constantly on the move between various offices and this laptop is my "road warrior". It is configured very nicely for what I do and if it failed, I'd have a "B" of a time finding all of the utils I've amassed over the years.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by aeronca1 View Post
    Several times a day. I am constantly on the move between various offices and this laptop is my "road warrior". It is configured very nicely for what I do and if it failed, I'd have a "B" of a time finding all of the utils I've amassed over the years.
    I didn't mean open, as in flip up to use, I meant take the cover apart. A dab of glue at the seam and no one will even know there was a problem.

Ah, I see. Sorry for the misinterpretation.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    No matter what kind of tape you get make sure it is has the 3M brand mark on it. That is always the best tape. Now which tape to use is another question and one I can not answer.
    DD, gotta go with ya on 3M ! And duct tape....I've seen car fenders duct taped to the frame before. Gimme a hammer, pair of pliers and some duct tape and I'll conquer the world.....

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    i mostly agree with this. 9 out of 10 times 3m is the best. except when it comes to duct tape, then you want magnum 357. i would, for your application, reccomend the semi clear packing tape that contains string re-enforcement. i swear that stuff, once it sets, cannot be completely removed, and has near zero stretch

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Mylar! The best.

I wanted to say Frog tape as it sounds a bit funny, second to 'duck' tape (feathers removed).

But with Mylar, we used it on shipping of our aircraft at Sadler Vampire. It has some amazing power qualities (shear strength is really high). It has a really good adhesive as well. Just cut a very thin strip from a roll and apply that and you should be good to go. Maybe touch the area with rubbing alcohol first to remove oils so the tape will stick better.
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write