dsd_xml_sound3 gauge playback

Thread: dsd_xml_sound3 gauge playback

dsd_xml_sound3 gauge playback

It's been a while since I've messed with this gauge, and even longer since I've edited WAV files, but I needed to add some sounds to a xml gauge I'm working on and have had nothing but crashes from the sim when playing back the sound file I borrowed from another plane.

Does anyone know or remember IF there is a difference in format between the external and interior WAV files FS9 uses for playback ?

Does Doug Dawsons dsd_xml_sound3 gauge (v3.7) only playback certain formats ?

Thanks in advance
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Maddog; FS is configured to play 22050 Hz files although you can change this to 44100 Hz but that will then affect all your other sounds.

Some gauges use 8 bit files, others 16 - no big issue here. And either mono or stereo is fine.

I'd be inclined to make a copy of the sound in question. rename it for a known working gauge (any of the gauge related sounds within your main fs 'sound' folder would do).

Try it and work from there.

At least you'll be able to quickly eliminate any element of doubt re suitability of the sound file in question.

If its what I suspect to be xml code related, then you'll have to seek someone blessed with a larger portion of grey-matter for your answer.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post
    Does anyone know or remember IF there is a difference in format between the external and interior WAV files FS9 uses for playback ?
    no, there is no difference.
    Cheers Isra

Thanks all,
    As it turned out the borrowed sounds I used were the culprit. I looked at the sounds from the groundhandeling4 package (that also used the dsd_sound3 gauge) and converted my sounds to match those in the GH package, and all my crashes ceased. I suspect the gauge is particular in it's playback format.
    PCM, 44100 8 bit stereo is the 'magic' format I was looking for both internal and external sounds.
    :ernae:

Hi Isra, never did thank you for the new F5 panel, awesome bit of work there, the INS system works great now.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I seem to recall that you cannot have a high format WAV file. It must be the basic format. I have had this issue before.
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Members who have read this thread: 1