Object Placement

Thread: Object Placement

Object Placement

Hi guys,
    I learned in the static FSX airplanes thread that with a certain software i could place objects almost everywhere in FSX scenery.
    So, after trying ADE, my choice went on ObplacerXML, freeware.
    I added some interesting "targets" in and around Persian Gulf, like Nuclear Power Plants, Refineries, Oil Rigs, and so on.
    The program uses by default the FSX internal default object library.
    Now I ask if are there any other "non default" object libraries FSX compatible to use.

Thanks to all. Roberto.

Wow, that's a wide open area Roberto. A download site like flightsim.com will have a ton of freeware object libraries to choose from and once installed will be easily accessible for use in any scenery. If you can access flightsim.com, then click "Files", then "Search Files", on the next page under "Search only file section:" select "FS 2004 Scenery Objects" and finally in the box for "Search for text", type *.zip (it's a wildcard that will load every file for that section.) Once it loads you'll have page after page of just about any scenery object you might want. Good Hunting!!
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

As falcon409 said, there are lots of object libraries out there. You'll want to use some care in which you use. For instance, some very complex models don't have LODs (level of detail), so FS tries to draw them from very far away and they kill your frame rates. For example, I used one chain link fence library. I spent hours placing these sections of fence in FS9. Then, I started using the scenery. It turned my scenery into a slideshow. If my view included the airport from 30 miles away, frame rates dropped to 2. I had to remove the fence.

When I do models, I try to make them disappear around 5 miles away (depending on their size). That way, they have little or no impact on frame rates. To add insult to injury, FSX SP2 broke LODs. To get them to work, the author needs to put in a false animation. That means that all of the old default models no longer have working LODs. I used FS9 models (like the first static aircraft library) because the FS9 LODs worked in FSX. When I updated the library to FSX, I added an animation that doesn't really do anything so the LODs still work. The new library is very easy on frame rates, even if you use lots of them. Up close or at a distance, they shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks both pals.
    So, even if for FSX I must search fs9 objects, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by robertorizzo View Post
    Thanks both pals.
    So, even if for FSX I must search fs9 objects, am I right?
    You'll be more likely to find a better variety if you search both FSX and FS9 yes.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Members who have read this thread: 1