P3D - Who's running it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P3D - Who's running it?

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Roger that.

Ok, yes, I have been depressed. I could never handle more then 30 min's on FSX. It drove me nuts, just like windows vista. I have been making planes in FSX format for my customers, but I would enjoy fun flights (myself) in FS9.

But now, I have PrePar3D and it runs smooth and it runs FSX planes. Its like a blessing from the Lord. PrePar3D came down in prices, its much smoother and faster, looks a bit better. I am happy. I dont feel like I am fighting myself, making FSX planes. Now I can say, I am making P3D planes (that will also work in FSX).

I'll let you know when I move up in rigs. I have my eyes set on either a Mac Pro tower or Alienware tower, dual 6 cores, 16 or 32 Gigs of RAM, SSD HD's. I will always keep a mid to lower mid range computer though for testing on. That is the standard of the populace, the 'normal' computer. Most of our flight simmers are 45 to 70. They do not always have super computers, managing families (and grand kids) so things have to work for 'everyone'.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country
    ......flew the Columbia River Gorge tonite......
    mesh set to 10m, texture res: 1m
    ( those cars below left are moving )

Attachment 62147
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    ......flew the Columbia River Gorge tonite......
    mesh set to 10m, texture res: 1m
    ( those cars below left are moving )

Attachment 62147

I need to try this.

Thanks for the heads up LD.

I just flew the Mauley Mauley from Burbank (LA) to the Salton Sea and cannot believe the change in scenery textures. Totally different.

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

I'd like to know off those who have ORBX scenery installed in P3D and FsX if the P3D is still smoother and faster than in FsX?
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Roger, I purchase the Orbx FTX NABluePNW SBSL package and found that this definitely works better in Prepar3D. There is still a big hit at Portland International and Seattle / Tacoma International. Very smooth flight but the problem is on the ground there are some real altitude problems with the transfer into the Prepar3D engine. The airfield was elevated about 2 feet above everything else leaving some steep ravines around the airport.

SBSL allows you to use your FSX NABluePNW intall in Prepar3D. You have to have purchased the FSX version first. The SBSL software is only a few bucks and uses your FSX install in Prepar3D. Hope that makes sense. The scenery other than the problem at the airports looks and flies great but there is a hit on FPS. They come down to 14 - 15 in some areas. Hope this helps.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

I don`t run P3D because i have a solid and stable Setup of FSX+ACC.
    None the less i`m pretty sure,that P3D will be the future for us simmers.
    But at the moment i don`t feel any need to buy a license only because P3D runs perhaps a bit smoother and faster.Must not have problems with sceneries and aircrafts which cannot be ported over without problems at the moment.
    I will watch the further developement and perhaps in the future i will buy a license,but not now.
    Maybe Microsoft surprises us one day and will take Flight! to another level,who knows?
    For now i`m happy with FSX.
    My 2cents.

I am downloading the Academic version now. Just got my new rig up and running, haven't flown any more than a few minutes just to make sure things are working. Will be interesting to see. I have noticed my FSX is smoother than before, but that may be because very few add-ons have been activated, yet.

My FS9 IS much better! As well as my R/C Sim (RealFlight G6)
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

I *will be* running it as soon as there is an Ivy bridge in my box to replace the sandy bridge....sometime this summer
    Matt

Charter Member 2015
    Hmmm...watching this thread with interest. I'm still not convinced,though ....I'm thinking that there's possibly a placebo effect of loading up a fresh new sim install compared to a bloated/tweaked/broken current FSX install? I've signed up at the Prepar3d forum's and will see how things pan out in the coming months.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I would like to learn more about P3D and have a few questions.
    How much space do P3D need when installed?
    Has somebody installed more sceneries and airplanes and is there a FPS impact to notice?
    Is it easier to copy sceneries and aircrafts from an existing FSX setup?
    UTX,GEX,AS2012,REX-Overdrive,Megasceneries------are they working flawless?
    I cannot afford P3D at the moment,50$ is a lot of money for me,but i`m interested.
    Thank you
    Michael

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by big-mike View Post
    I would like to learn more about P3D and have a few questions.
    How much space do P3D need when installed?
    Has somebody installed more sceneries and airplanes and is there a FPS impact to notice?
    Is it easier to copy sceneries and aircrafts from an existing FSX setup?
    UTX,GEX,AS2012,REX-Overdrive,Megasceneries------are they working flawless?
    I cannot afford P3D at the moment,50$ is a lot of money for me,but i`m interested.
    Thank you
    Michael

Think of it as being just like FSX, except that it runs correctly. Same folders, same files, etc, etc, etc.

Intrigued....but only so much. I really like my experience with FSX at the moment.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    You were right..........the "admin fix" worked. Thanks !!

Now I'm getting the "Fatal Error" message and crash whenever I hit the Load or Save flight buttons.

P3B forum hasn't responded......

LD
    Its a permission thing and what you need to do is give yourself full permisisons on the P3D folder.

Run as administrator is not necessary once you have full permissions.

See the 7th post in this thread.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ues-in-Win7%29
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Thanks All for replying to this thread....

Thanks all for replying to this thread, and helping it get into the new P3D forum! Hopefully this will help us all to know who's "in the know" around here regarding P3D. A starting point. Thank you.

I am, but didn't reply so far as I forgot my machine specs. Something with 8 Gb RAM, Quad 9550 or so CPU, 580GTX vidcard...... but who cares? It changes almost every month.
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Blog Entries
    I tried Preper3D, and was a little disappointed. It looks like I'm the only one on those forums who is not totally enamored with it! I've even taken advantage oftheir refund policy.
    Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the program, but I didn't see any significant improvement over FSX on my machine, and when I found out that there is no upgrade policy to V2, when it comes out, I decided that keeping V1.3 seemed a little pointless, so I think I'll wait until V2 is released.

Regards,
    Ian.

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post
    I tried Preper3D, and was a little disappointed. It looks like I'm the only one on those forums who is not totally enamored with it! I've even taken advantage oftheir refund policy.
    Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the program, but I didn't see any significant improvement over FSX on my machine, and when I found out that there is no upgrade policy to V2, when it comes out, I decided that keeping V1.3 seemed a little pointless, so I think I'll wait until V2 is released.

Regards,
    Ian.

Hey Ian,

Roger that. Sorry it didnt work out for you. A friend of mine also downloaded it, tried it, no improvements for him on performance. I can only figure its graphics cards. They say that this happened to a number of people when it went from Build 1.2 to Build 1.3. For me, its totally night and day difference via performance.

If people are running FSX fine, no issues, no hopping planes, blinking clouds or studders, you might stay with FSX then as P3D is very similar, almost identical. Scenery is a slight bit different, interface is totally different, 4096 ground textures now. So if FSX is running great for you, you might stay there.

Generation 2 of P3D is going to be about a year from now, just a heads up. Its quite a ways out there yet.

Prepar3D ver 2.x will be a totally different software than ver 1.x. In the same way that FS9 and FSX are completely different. That is why everybody who does not have a developer's account will have to purchase a new license for ver 2.x the same way any FS9 license owner had to purchase a new FSX license when it came out.

Developer's accounts pay $9.99 a month so it is very likely that in the end we will be paying more than the professional license by the time ver 2.x comes out. Developer's accounts cannot be "deployed" into business solutions and they do need access to the latest upgrades and versions to keep current. They are strictly for developing add-ons/business solutions (a.k.a. simulation cabins) for Prepar3D.

If you purchase a 1.x license, you will have free access to all the upgrades made to that version. Same policy applies to ver 2.x

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Hey Ian,

Roger that. Sorry it didnt work out for you. A friend of mine also downloaded it, tried it, no improvements for him on performance. I can only figure its graphics cards. They say that this happened to a number of people when it went from Build 1.2 to Build 1.3. For me, its totally night and day difference via performance.

If people are running FSX fine, no issues, no hopping planes, blinking clouds or studders, you might stay with FSX then as P3D is very similar, almost identical. Scenery is a slight bit different, interface is totally different, 4096 ground textures now. So if FSX is running great for you, you might stay there.

Generation 2 of P3D is going to be about a year from now, just a heads up. Its quite a ways out there yet.
    I don't know why I'm not seeing a great improvment, I would have thought that my graphics card should be adequate, it's a Nvidia GeForce 580. Ah well, as I said, I think I'll have to wait for V2.

Regards,
    Ian.

I think experiences running P3D will vary as they do with many sims but the thing to remember that P3D is still being developed whereas development on FsX stopped 5 years ago.
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

I am running it and the only problem I have is the occasional CTD when I transfer aircraft over. The aircraft that will install directory in P3D don't seem to have a problem.

EZDOK does not work well in my case.

Does REX and GEX work?

VCN-1

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by VCN-1 View Post
    I am running it and the only problem I have is the occasional CTD when I transfer aircraft over. The aircraft that will install directory in P3D don't seem to have a problem.

EZDOK does not work well in my case.

Does REX and GEX work?

VCN-1

Concerning REX, according to John (Big Kahoona) at P3D, yes. GEX I do not know if it has support yet.

More here; http://www.prepar3d.com/2011/10/27/r...-for-prepar3d/

Unfortunately it is forbidden to use GEX in P3D

http://www.simforums.com/Forums/foru...d-3d-port-over

Michael

That was last November...maybe Nick and team will see the light now. I'm more interested if UTX will function in P3D?
    SYSTEM :

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    That was last November...maybe Nick and team will see the light now.
    Snicker.... I respectfully decline to say any more. :mixedsmi:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I'm more interested if UTX will function in P3D?
    It was posted in the UTX forum a couple of days ago that this might be looked at. The developer of the Ultimate Terrain line of products is a nice guy, having worked with him for the FSX line of products. If there are enough requests or enough demand, I would expect it to happen.

Members who have read this thread: 2