Soviet F-5

Thread: Soviet F-5

Soviet F-5

Found this rather interesting...captured F-5E (and A-37?) from the Sth Vietnamese AF tested by Soviet pilots

http://www.patricksaviation.com/vide...o.ricjam/4707/

Charter Member 2015
    yep..while the USAF had their secret Red Eagles flying out of Groom Lake, the Soviets also had their own top secret dissimilar air force.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Interesting!

Kind of puts a different perspective on things when you consider the US Aggressor schemes on the F-5. Here's the real deal!

Always fun to test-fly something your air force has never had before, like this B-17D in Japanese Army service.

Also add on around 15 P-40s to that B-17.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Saburo Sakai, in "Samurai," makes reference to flying several captured Allied aircraft, the most prominent being the B-17. He did not mention the type of B-17, but as I recall he said it was captured in Java, so there's an even chance he flew the aircraft in the photo - quite a few "D"s were used in Java.

I figured it was going to be the "MiG-28".

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Also add on around 15 P-40s to that B-17.
    Yeah, they had enough captured P-40's to use them operationally in the defense of Rangoon. I'd be interested to know the details on what was going on here (see below), with a B-17 in the mix...

Attachment 62000

Quote Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
    I figured it was going to be the "MiG-28".
    "Don't leave him, Maverick!"

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Interesting. I knew about the Soviets reverse engineering WWII aircraft, but did not realize they did the same with more modern aircraft. Makes sense, I just never thought of it or saw anything on it until now.

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Railrunner130 View Post
    Interesting. I knew about the Soviets reverse engineering WWII aircraft, but did not realize they did the same with more modern aircraft. Makes sense, I just never thought of it or saw anything on it until now.
    They didn't reverse engineer the F5..it was a captured example that was shipped to the USSR from Vietnam for evaluation by Soviet test pilots...much the same as the USAF pilot's flying MiG's from Tonapah.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    Saburo Sakai, in "Samurai," makes reference to flying several captured Allied aircraft, the most prominent being the B-17. He did not mention the type of B-17, but as I recall he said it was captured in Java, so there's an even chance he flew the aircraft in the photo - quite a few "D"s were used in Java.
    Wiki says that 3 B-17 were captured. A "D" already posted and a later "E" 41-2471. It looks lihe the 3rd was a "E" or newer.

http://www.j-aircraft.com/captured/c...ptured_b17.htm

B-17E 41-2471

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Yeah, they had enough captured P-40's to use them operationally in the defense of Rangoon. I'd be interested to know the details on what was going on here (see below), with a B-17 in the mix...

Attachment 62000
    Think I saw that on Wiki too. I was looking up the P-40E.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Members who have read this thread: 0