2012 Cape-to-Cape Secrets Revealed!

Thread: 2012 Cape-to-Cape Secrets Revealed!

2012 Cape-to-Cape Secrets Revealed!

According to the Daily Express and Paris Soir, MRC Investigations has been at it again. Those newspaper reports indicate that the detectives were able to obtain a late draft of the upcoming Cape-to-Cape Challenge Cup. This race, from the North Cape to the Cape of Good Hope, has been mooted about for a little while now, so it is good to finally see something concrete.

Our agents have been able to obtain a copy of that draft. MRC Investigations indicate that even this late draft is subject to further change...
    -Mike

:ernae:
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    According to the Daily Express and Paris Soir, MRC Investigations has been at it again. Those newspaper reports indicate that the detectives were able to obtain a late draft of the upcoming Cape-to-Cape Challenge Cup. This race, from the North Cape to the Cape of Good Hope, has been mooted about for a little while now, so it is good to finally see something concrete...

Good job to our, I mean, those unknown agents. And don't give Moses any concrete ideas. Make sure you check all compartments before take off!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

hmm... I think he did mail order a cement mixer... I thought it was for drinks at the party in Cape Town.

By the way...

We realize that this Spring Event is fairly complex. It attempts to recreate an historical intercontinental competition with lots of 1930s character--and then to replicate that for the contemporary era. We ask that you please take your time with the setup and get a sense of how the pieces are meant to fit together. (Our apologies in advance for bad writing!)

Then we would appreciate your feedback. Is there anything that is a show-stopper for you? Or anything that we can easily add that would make it more fun? Or something that is confusing and needs better explanation? (You can respond to this forum thread or, if you prefer, send us a Personal Message and we'll get back to you.) We would like to get this going in a couple of weeks and so will necessarily focus on tweaks and changes that can be readily implemented.

Thanks for your attention.
    Mike (and the Spring Event crew)
    -Mike

Awsome ! Digging up the safari helmet.

(What a titanic work - Thanks to the commitee !!! )

Few comments:
    Rules
    p. 9: Pointe Noire is FCPP in my sim, not FCCP (typo?)
    p. 22: Request: Can we please use AS for weather ? The weather is just a big part of the trip, and AS just renders it better IMHO.
    p. 26ff: Reference times missing ?
    p. 31: In my experience "Automixture" should be enabled in the FS realism settings for reliable test results. I guess that is what you mean, but may be better to reformulate/clarify.
    Thanks.

Attached a Google Earth .kmz file with the official airports.
    Data from fsxge.zip by Ian Niblo.

Please give my best greetings to Miss Nellie !

Gunter

One thing to keep in mind. This is essentially the same as the 2009 London-Melbourne with some extra options and features thrown in. We're hoping that everyone enjoys the Cape to Cape as much as they did the L-M.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    One thing to keep in mind. This is essentially the same as the 2009 London-Melbourne with some extra options and features thrown in. We're hoping that everyone enjoys the Cape to Cape as much as they did the L-M.

That was my first impression too Willy ...

You will only get out of "stuff" what you put in it .... this is set up to payback ten times what we do to prepare and participate.

An awesome event guys ... can't thank you enough!

Now to roll out the maps and charts .... what the heck did I do with that e6-b? ... wonder if I left it in the Trimotor?

Good Luck everyone!
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Yes, it's really L-M, in even better.

I particularly like the reference speed handycap system which should hopefully allow any plane to be competitive, whatever it's speed.
    I'm really looking forward to see how this works out.

Quite a few interesting compulsary navigational challenges on the route through the Sahara and on as well.

And while the documentation is quite extensive, that is due to the fact that it is so indepth and complete. Very clear explanations.

The good news is that all relevant rules fit onto a two-page cheat sheet in the appendix.
    So they are not as complex as it may seem.

Great job, and looking forward to the adventures in the wilds of Africa.

Hi Gunter. Some notes below:

p. 9: Pointe Noire is FCPP in my sim, not FCCP (typo?)
    FCPP should be correct. Thanks for spotting that.
    p. 22: Request: Can we please use AS for weather ? The weather is just a big part of the trip, and AS just renders it better IMHO.
    We are looking into this currently. I would bet that Miss Nellie will make an allowance of some type.
    p. 26ff: Reference times missing ?
    Forthcoming.
    p. 31: In my experience "Automixture" should be enabled in the FS realism settings for reliable test results. I guess that is what you mean, but may be better to reformulate/clarify.
    Automixture should be enabled. All the testing we have done to date is with Automixture ticked off in the settings. Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks for the GE file.

Moses

Another suggestion!

Perhaps more of a common sense reminder than a suggestion...........

When using the sextant for navigation during daylight hours we should only use the sun and/or, the moon in rare cases, and only when they are visible. Also only use the stars and planets at night and only when they're visible as well.

Clouds during the day and at night can block the use of the sextant as well.

What a great and well planned event SOH! :salute:

Q. The Handicap System seems flawed to me.
    A. It is.
    LOL !!

This has the distinct odor of another DC-3 designed event, tell Nellie I'm skipping this one.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK