SBuilderX install troubles....

Thread: SBuilderX install troubles....

SBuilderX install troubles....

Well, i wanted to try out SBuilderX so i installed it. On trying to open it, it gave me this error 'Access to path C:/Program Files (86x)/SbuilderX313/Tools/shp2vec.exe is denied" Along with at the bottom saying if i click yes, i ca nwork at my own risk, then it opens the same error then SBuilderX crashes... What is going on? Anyone know whats going on?
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

I kinda remember this as well the first time I attempted to open the program. There are options settings that require you to locate the paths for certain SDK utilites, bglcomp and shp2vec. I believe that once you browsed to all of those and got them set, then it should open without any problems. That error about "work at your own risk" actually means "get ready cause when you click ok, I'm gonna close anyway", lol.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Couple of things. The link to open SBuilderX 313 should be SBuilderX313.exe. The setup procedure Ed is mentioning is to the utilities SBuilderX uses to compile the scenery. If till no joy, open as administrator.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Not sure how to edit the settings when i cant open SBuilder lol. Still getting the issue. Also, Stovall, when you say to change the name, im not sure where you mean lol. Plus, it wont open as admin for some reason...
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

Cag40Navy, Go to the main SBuilterX313 folder and click on SbuilderX313.exe. That should open the program. If not remove the entire install and redownload and try again. Works fine here.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

You could try to install it in another directory (not one of the standard ones) to circumvent UAC problems, and be sure you have at least the dotnet 2.0 Framework installed, since it was written in VB.

The application shp2vec.exe is normally in a FSX SDK path (...\Microsoft Games\SDK\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK\...) , so you should point the application to that folder (the other ones too, of course).

HTH
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    On trying to open it, it gave me this error 'Access to path C:/Program Files (86x)/SbuilderX313/Tools/shp2vec.exe is denied"
    It's Microsoft trying to protect you from yourself! Using Win7 or Vista? You've made the HORRIBLE mistake of installing stuff into a Protected Folder. The message shows SBuilderX is in \Program Files (86x) and I'm going to "assume" that the SDKs and FSX are installed there also?

I went to Win7 a couple of months ago and have run into this "protect myself from me" situation a few times. Even with not installing stuff into a Protected Folder! I'd try turning UAC off and then starting SBX again and see if it gets going. Otherwise, it might involve a little tweaking to be able to get into the files and folders. Let's see how it goes with shutting down UAC before worrying about the next step.