FSX Static Aircraft Library Released
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FSX Static Aircraft Library Released

FSX Static Aircraft Library Released

I just wrapped up an FSX version of my static aircraft library. It has the same aircraft as the FS9 version, but with 512 x 512 DDS textures.

Large image

these look great...now if I could only figure out how to put them in scenery settings.

Wow, haven't seen you around in ages it seems. I use your aircraft in just about every scenery I do, great to see FSX versions now as the only problem I had personally was that my fps suffered if I used more than 5 or six airplanes. This is terrific news. Thanks for doing this.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Right, the FS9 version was hard on frame rates. These perform a lot better, even with all of them at an airport.

Thank you, KJB, these will certainly be put to use on my end! I know of several local airports that could really use the extra population of aircraft parked out on the ramp.

Downloaded and already used at one airstrip. Thanks for sharing your talents.

Romeo-Delta

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawka4m View Post
    these look great...now if I could only figure out how to put them in scenery settings.
    May I recommend Airport Design Editor. It can be found at scruffyduck's site. If I can learn to use it, anybody can. But, once you do a simple airport enhancement, you will be HOOKED. I mean to the point of doing an airport and thinking well that one is done now. Then guess what? You'll think of another object or two that will just look really great and you open the program one more time. Fellas, am I making this up?

Romeo-Delta

Quote Originally Posted by rdaniell View Post
    Fellas, am I making this up?

Romeo-Delta
    ADE is an excellent tool, although I prefer Instant Scenery 2 for model placement. I just recently transitioned from AFX to ADE and so far I'm very pleased with the performance, ease of use and results. ADE works well with a photo background for accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by kjb View Post
    ADE is an excellent tool, although I prefer Instant Scenery 2 for model placement. I just recently transitioned from AFX to ADE and so far I'm very pleased with the performance, ease of use and results. ADE works well with a photo background for accuracy.
    I still use AFX and probably the only reason being that I went for ADE in it's infancy and it was a royal PITB. Not at all user friendly. I needed something right away to start doing FSX AFCAD's and AFX was perfect, very much like Lee Swordy's AFCAD program. The only thing I wish it had was the ability to do "Fuel Triggers" like ADE. Aside from that it's perfect. I also use Instant Scenery for object placement and wouldn't use anything else for the ability to place objects precisely where I want them.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by kjb View Post
    I just wrapped up an FSX version of my static aircraft library. It has the same aircraft as the FS9 version, but with 512 x 512 DDS textures.

Large image
    Hi,

What kind of scenery in the background?
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

The screen shots were taken at P52 Cottonwood, AZ. It's part of a photo scenery I'm working on that covers the area around Prescott to Sedona.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I still use AFX and probably the only reason being that I went for ADE in it's infancy and it was a royal PITB.
    Agreed, the early versions I tried weren't great. Recently I decided to give it a shot again and it's definitely matured. Sure, it doesn't do the visual overlay in FSX and you need to use FSUIPC to coordinate FSX and ADE, but with a good photo background, they're minor differences. The smoother performance makes it easy to be more precise, no waiting for the interface to catch up.

Ok....got ADE loaded and gonna try my luck....but how do you load a photo backround?

Thank you very much

Its greatly appreciated

kjb,
    These look great and I just started really getting into ADE for static object placement, although I prefer animated AI, so...how hard would it be to make the A-Star's AI? About to politely Mr. Diotte if his models can be done the same way.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Question How to place kjb's models with ADE?

I downloaded kjb's library.

It includes a Scenery folder with a single .bgl file, and a Textures folder with 128 *.dds files for the individual aircraft.

How can I place an aircraft from this library with ADE? I am familiar with placing *.mdl files with ADE, but not *.dds files

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jschall View Post

It includes a Scenery folder with a single .bgl file, and a Textures folder with 128 *.dds files for the individual aircraft. How can I place an aircraft from this library with ADE? I am familiar with placing *.mdl files with ADE, but not *.dds files Thanks.
    I'll try to help...1. Open ADEX and then an airport. 2. Open the Library Object Manager 3. Click on "Add File." 4. Click on kjb's library 5. Save

It should now be in your Objects Library when you click on Add Library Object.

Of course, you first need to make sure that the bgl is added to your ADEX FSX bgl folder and your Static Objects scenery folder in FSX Addon folder.
    And place the texture files in the texture folder of the Static Objects folder.

Hope this helps.

Romeo-Delta

It includes a Scenery folder with a single .bgl file, and a Textures folder with 128 *.dds files for the individual aircraft.

How can I place an aircraft from this library with ADE? I am familiar with placing *.mdl files with ADE, but not *.dds files

Thanks.
    In addition to rdaniell's reply I'd like to add that the *.dds files are simply texture files so you do not place them in ADE, instead you place the model file and then make sure the required textures for that model are in the 'scenery\textures' folder for that scenery in the 'Add-on Scenery' folder of your choice then activate in FSX as normal.

The single *.bgl file is a library of multiple objects and needs to be added to ADE as such and then you can search it and just place the models you require from that library.
    Larry

Thanks, rdaniell, for taking the time to help.

Quote Originally Posted by rdaniell View Post
    I'll try to help...1. Open ADEX and then an airport. 2. Open the Library Object Manager 3. Click on "Add File." 4. Click on kjb's library 5. Save

It should now be in your Objects Library when you click on Add Library Object.
    I follow you up until step 4. I have placed the whole library, both Scenery (.bgl) and Textures (*.dds) in the ADE Models folder. ADE "sees" the .bgl file, and ADE says it has added 68 objects to the object library. But when I open the Object Library, none of the new kjb models are there. No C172, for example.

Of course, you first need to make sure that the bgl is added to your ADEX FSX bgl folder and your Static Objects scenery folder in FSX Addon folder.
    And place the texture files in the texture folder of the Static Objects folder.
    Now you've really lost me. What is the "ADEX FSX bgl folder"? What is the "Static Objects scenery folder in FSX Addon"?

Under Airport Design Editor/FSX there is a "Bgl'' folder, but it is empty. Should the kb_static_aircraft_FSX.bgl be moved there? And the "Scenery" folder with all the *.dds files - where should it go? I have an "Addon Scenery" folder in my main FSX folder - but no "Static Objects scenery folder".

Sorry for being so thick. As far as I know, this is not mentioned in the ADE Manual.

Thanks for your reply, Tako_Kichi. But I still don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    In addition to rdaniell's reply I'd like to add that the *.dds files are simply texture files so you do not place them in ADE, instead you place the model file and then make sure the required textures for that model are in the 'scenery\textures' folder for that scenery in the 'Add-on Scenery' folder of your choice then activate in FSX as normal.

The single *.bgl file is a library of multiple objects and needs to be added to ADE as such and then you can search it and just place the models you require from that library.
    "place the model file" - what model file? There are ONLY *.dds files.

"make sure the required textures for that model are in the 'scenery\textures' folder for that scenery in the 'Add-on Scenery' folder of your choice then activate in FSX as normal."

Are you saying I have to MANUALLY copy a .dds file into the Scenery folder of a particular ADE-created airport in "Addon Scenery"? I thought I could use the ADE Library Object Manager to place a static aircraft. No?

Ok. Let me try again. In your FSX Addon Scenery Main Folder, you need to have a Folder called: Static Objects Library. It has two sub-folders: scenery and texture. Put kb_static_aircraft_FSX. bgl in the scenery folder. Put all the dds textures in the texture folder.

I believe you already have kb_static_aircraft_FSX.bgl in your ADEX bgl folder. That's all you need in ADEX as I don't think any thumbs came with it.

Now open ADEX then an airport you're working on and select one of the airplanes. Add it to your scenery, save, compile and open FSX. The airplane should now show up at the airport.

Of course, you first need to have that airport already added to FSX. I always make a Main folder (Farm for example) then I have a scenery and texture sub-folder.

When you compile in ADEX, it will ask where you want the compiled file saved. Tell it to save it in Farm/scenery (again, my example) and that's where it will save it.

Once you get the hang of using ADEX, you will really enjoy using it.

Hope this helps.

Romeo-Delta

Got it - I think

Thanks again, rdaniell.

Here is how I got it working:

In FSX/Addon Scenery, I just stuck the kb_static_aircraft_FSX folder, with its Scenery and Texture sub-folders.

I copied the kb_static_aircraft_FSX.bgl file into the ADE Bgl folder.

But the real trick I was missing before is - you have to SELECT the kb library in the Library Object dialogue before you can see the kb objects! (It is set to "*All" by default). That's why I wasn't seeing the C172 before!

Thanks again, rdaniell. Here is how I got it working: In FSX/Addon Scenery, I just stuck the kb_static_aircraft_FSX folder, with its Scenery and Texture sub-folders. I copied the kb_static_aircraft_FSX.bgl file into the ADE Bgl folder. But the real trick I was missing before is - you have to SELECT the kb library in the Library Object dialogue before you can see the kb objects! (It is set to "*All" by default). That's why I wasn't seeing the C172 before!
    That's great news. Now you'll have static airplanes all over the place. I've even placed some inside some open door hangers.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of tweaking the airports that I either have flown in and out of in the past or the ones that I occassionally visit now. Just looks better than the "default" stuff. I'm also always on the look-out for "new" scenery objects like the four wheeler that Dimus just released here at the Outhouse. He's in the process of doing a mobile home/trailer scenery object. Probably still awhile off as he posted that he would be traveling this week.

Happy Simming.

Romeo-Delta

I appear to be missing something. When I get the file from the link at the beginning of this tread, it is a file from 2009 with bmp's not dds's. What link are all of you getting the FSX version from?

Dave

Never Mind. I seem to have had an old link to the pages in cache. when I Cleared it, I went to a different location.

Doh.

Dave

Thumbnails?

I installed kb's static aircraft library, and I can use it with Airport Design Editor.

But, in the ADE Library Object dialogue, the thumbnail box says "Not Available".

It is possible to take a snapshot of installed objects with ADE's Library Object Manager. But to do that I would have to install each and every one of the static aircraft into an FSX airport - as kjb seems to have done in the screenshot.

Has anyone already done this?

Or is there an easier way to get the thumbnails into ADE?