Short Stirling in FSX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Stirling in FSX

Short Stirling in FSX

RNZAF s No.75 Squadron replaced the Wellington with this , the Short Stirling : I notice a new paint of Edward Cooks 2004 model by Mike Delizee
    @ flightsim.com which really enhanced for FSX

Its not for the systems , very simple but the external model is ideal for your midnight missions over Wellington
    BEEP BEEP

Cool looking plane, but did they really sit that high? Just seems a bit tall.

Matt
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Charter Member 2011
    sure did, stirlings were huge!

comparison of the big 3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Br...comparison.png
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

We always get the Lancaster , Wellingtons yip both from FCS , a good MkV Halifax indeed required , but the Short Stirling .. now i wonder if Sir Edward Cook would not mind dwelling into the FSX world .. a complete update ...one amazing and very historical WWII Bomber

Blog Entries
    Looks nice, and good paintwork...so to confirm, there is not an FSX native model of this? This is the FS2004 model running in X, right? I've always like the Stirling (and yes it was miles off the ground!) after I had the Airfix kit as a kid. But I would like to see an FSX Halifax one day. Might have to be a project for the future.

Steven Beeny, FS repainter and modeller.

New EE/BAC Canberra series for FS2004 starting October 2010. See www.flyingstations.com for details.
    Watch the new Canberra promo video here: http://youtu.be/m3rWTivCupg

Quote Originally Posted by nazca_steve View Post
    Looks nice, and good paintwork...so to confirm, there is not an FSX native model of this? This is the FS2004 model running in X, right? I've always like the Stirling (and yes it was miles off the ground!) after I had the Airfix kit as a kid. But I would like to see an FSX Halifax one day. Might have to be a project for the future.
    Steve - Comfirm , this is a 2002 updated to 2004 and works in FSX , No FSX native , you had the Airfix as a kid and so did i , was my first large model WWII bomber .. least when your 11/12 it was huge .. Mike totally changed the model with his extra special paint , this is one the in a way nearly missed the boat but thanks to Edward Cook it lives .

It would be brilliant to see the type made for FSX a VC made up to represent the Stirling , many years ago one airman said to me the cockpit was so similar to a Bristol Frieghter , guess he was talking about the elevation and clambering into the cockpit .

They used to have one sitting outside Perth Airport in 1979 or so, dont know what happened to it. Dad and I had a climb in side once. long time ago.
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

Quote Originally Posted by mjrhealth View Post
    They used to have one sitting outside Perth Airport in 1979 or so, dont know what happened to it. Dad and I had a climb in side once. long time ago.
    It wouldn't have been a Stirling, they were all long gone by 1979. Last example broken up in the late 50s.

One wreck (EF311) was found underwater off England in the late 80s but hasn't been recovered.

One off those iconic WWII Photo's A No.75 Squadron Stirling in early 1943 ... home from another successful sortie

:salute:

Hi Ian,
    THANK YOU FOR THIS STIRLING...MADE MY DAY FINDING IT !

A stirling effort from you...I couldnt resist that one !
    This would seem to be the only way of seeing a Stirling in the air again and flying one (not counting radio control of course).
    I am not familiar with FSX or this site.
    How do I go about getting hold of this aircraft ? The skin and also the model, I gather Sir Edward Cook made the model FSX2002 updated 2004 reading in this thread.
    Are the models and skins free ?

I am also wanting Halifax Series 1, Whitley, hampden, Battle, Wellington, all our great planes for early WW2 that have been completely ignored.

I have found a source of FSX gold and I am told it runs on win7 64bit pro.

Can I get hold of wartime airfields and scenery for FSX ?

I would like to fly such in a ww2 sim environment. fido, fog, searchlights, flak etc,... but no one has created such.

Could the 3D model be used in the nearest sim that could do this, IL2 Cliffs of Dover. Its all a question of Polygons I gather and if this flies in FSX it might work ? The Team Fusion guys can work wonders. How does one contact the model builder ?

BOBC

Quote Originally Posted by BOBC View Post
    Hi Ian,
    THANK YOU FOR THIS STIRLING...MADE MY DAY FINDING IT !

This would seem to be the only way of seeing a Stirling in the air again and flying one (not counting radio control of course).
    I am not familiar with FSX or this site.
    How do I go about getting hold of this aircraft ? The skin and also the model, I gather Sir Edward Cook made the model FSX2002 updated 2004 reading in this thread.
    Are the models and skins free ?

I am also wanting Halifax Series 1, Whitley, hampden, Battle, Wellington, all our great planes for early WW2 that have been completely ignored.

I would like to fly such in a ww2 sim environment. fido, fog, searchlights, flak etc,... but no one has created such.

Could the 3D model be used in the nearest sim that could do this, IL2 Cliffs of Dover. Its all a question of Polygons I gather and if this flies in FSX it might work ? The Team Fusion guys can work wonders. How does one contact the model builder ?

BOBC
    Bob I 'll get back to you on this tomorrow ... crikey its 1.45 AM .. speaking to Norway and next .... time fly's

Good to see a Stirling even if just WWII AI...

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Good to see a Stirling even if just WWII AI...
    Roger , This was my first super sized kit-set , course AIRFIX 1/72 , simply the box artwork drew me to it .

Hi Ian,

How does one contact the model builder ?

BOBC
    UP in the afternoon , 1.20pm now .. Well we do have a reasonable 'Wellington' done by FCS .. ... the Halifax , I do like the later B. MkVI , they did look much more aggressive .. WWII airfield scenery's a builder , did that a few years back .. airfield/airport builds .. maybe a return when I start flying straight and level again .

Hi,
    Late reply but picking up on this quest as the last 2 years went somewhat wacky on me,

I see no getting back to me as you said Ian.
    Bob I 'll get back to you on this tomorrow
    see your post #11 above.
    I read of FSX FS CFS3 Alphasim, all a bit confusing
    Stirling was made by Alphasim ? who folded but the guys are now Virtavia. Not sure if they have it, Alphasim made models for Msoft flight sim, so would this model work in Msoft Combat Flight SIM 3 with ETO ?

I see I have acquired Combat Flight Sim 3 and the ETO upgrades that feature Cologne and Hamburg mission packs. Here I read of FSX and the Stirling, thats a different sim as far as I know, so trying to get my head around what I have and why. I have this past day or three installed msoft Combat Flight Sim 3 then ETO up as far as 1.4, yet to work out how to get at the stirling and what to do next, what has been upgraded and whats still 2014 vintage.

Are there different Stirling models and which is best ? Maybe I need to get FSX as well, but am I right in saying FSX is modern scenery, maybe that is why I have ETO, for the searchlights, flak etc. The 'sim engine' though might give a better quality for screen capture etc.

Some clarification of what exists, what I need and what I will see is what I need !...oh also after Whitleys hampdens Wellingtons etc.
    ETO when functional will give me an insight into what I am starting with, maybe it will suffice. Its not current graphics but I have yet to fly 1.5 so it might all be ok.

BOBC

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    UP in the afternoon , 1.20pm now .. Well we do have a reasonable 'Wellington' done by FCS .. ... the Halifax , I do like the later B. MkVI , they did look much more aggressive .. WWII airfield scenery's a builder , did that a few years back .. airfield/airport builds .. maybe a return when I start flying straight and level again .

Hi Bob , CRIKEY ! those two years went faster than bomb falling from the Stirling's bomb bay , the Short Stirling I'm very sure was only made by Edward Cook, I'd have to go back there and have a looksie for possible others, I have also noticed just recent one has been hooking into RAF airfields of WWII , I do have MS combat sim3 , don't recall a Stirling in the package, another I have not install for well over a decade plus X plus .

A link here Bob from the original posting ,

I notice a new paint of Edward Cooks 2004 model by Mike Delizee

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib....rchid=43833687

Hi,
    Thanks for reply.
    that link is a dead end though, nothing there ?

What is FSX and FS and so on, is there a stirling for them, seemed as if there was, I saw pics of them over mountains, non UK territory.
    What would FS or FSX give me that ETO wouldnt ?

I have also noticed just recent one has been hooking into RAF airfields of WWII
    Not sure what that means, can you elaborate ? Any thought of a nother option or model intrigues me.

BOBC

Hi Bob , CRIKEY ! those two years went faster than bomb falling from the Stirling's bomb bay , the Short Stirling I'm very sure was only made by Edward Cook, I'd have to go back there and have a looksie for possible others, I have also noticed just recent one has been hooking into RAF airfields of WWII , I do have MS combat sim3 , don't recall a Stirling in the package, another I have not install for well over a decade plus X plus .

A link here Bob from the original posting ,

I notice a new paint of Edward Cooks 2004 model by Mike Delizee

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib....rchid=43833687

Sorry Bob, best thing to is simply sign into Flightsim.com , go to the search engine, put in Edward Cook or Mike Delizee and that will lead you directly to the aircraft and the paint.

I like the Stirling, and it has an interesting history. It was very large and due to bureaucratic requirements, the wingspan was limited in size. So the aerodynamic engineers were over-ruled, the bureaucracy prevailed, and the plane's performance suffered due to a wing that was too short. That's why it's called the Short Stirling. (just kidding).

"I have also noticed just recent one has been hooking into RAF airfields of WWII"
    Not sure what that means, can you elaborate ? Any thought of a nother option or model intrigues me.
    I have not checked these out but the author is Terry Boissel also at Flightsim.com

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    I like the Stirling, and it has an interesting history. It was very large and due to bureaucratic requirements, the wingspan was limited in size. So the aerodynamic engineers were over-ruled, the bureaucracy prevailed, and the plane's performance suffered due to a wing that was too short. That's why it's called the Short Stirling. (just kidding).
    I have the pilots notes here ... looking at the engineers panel , one would think you on a submarine or a steam train of the 1930s .

One off those iconic WWII Photo's A No.75 Squadron Stirling in early 1943 ... home from another successful sortie

:salute:
    The boys are smiling because the have just been informed of the squadrons pending re-equipment with the Lancaster ......
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Wow! I didn't know a Stirling was available for FSX. Going to download it if I can find it. Love that aeroplane!

Sadly in history the Stirling (S.29) is much maligned. The design did have many shortcomings, but they were a direct result of Air Ministry short sightedness and overregulation in drawing up the specs.

For example the limitation to 100ft wingspan (which so affected flight performance and limited the Stirling in operations to 12,000ft - a suicide height over Germany) was an Air Ministry stipulation - not the myth that it was the existing hanger size (which was actually 112ft). The limitation was aimed to force the designer to keep overall weight down. That same limitation was also applied to Handley Page Halifax and the Avro Manchester designs (both twin-engine designs at this stage - 1937).

Another Air Ministry restriction that affected Short's design was the stipulation that on take-off the aircraft needed to lift off from a 500ft runway and be able to clear 50ft trees at the end - something even small light aircraft would struggle with! Naturally the Stirling failed abysmally in this aspect. To improve the take-off run Short looked at increasing the angle of the wing to create greater lift on the take-off roll. Two options were open to Short. Do what Armstrong Whitworth did with the Whitley, which was to modify the angle of he wing itself, or simply increase the height of the landing gear and so increase the wing angle on take-off. The second option was implemented, giving the Stirling it's characteristic long-legged look. That decision led to many landing and take-off accidents.

One of the advantages of the thick wing of the Stirling was that it gave great grip in the air, granting the Stirling surprising manoeuvrability. In fact the Stirling could out-turn both the Halifax and the Lancaster; and some pilots claimed it could also out-turn the Messerschmitt Me 110 and the Junkers Ju 88 night fighters.

The disadvantage's of the short, thick wing were low operational height; and some vicious flying characteristics during takeoff and landings. Those bad characteristic were uncontrolled swings on take-off, and on flare-out for landing a tendency to suddenly stall out and drop like a stone onto the runway (both with disastrous results for the crews). With proper training and manipulation of throttles the first was overcome, as was the crucial monitoring of engine power and speed for the second. But throughout it's life the Stirling was always regarded as a handful for both take-off and landing, the same as it was regarded as a joy to fly once airborne.

In 1941, Short proposed a new variant, the S.36 which was nicknamed "The Super Stirling" in a company publication. This Stirling would feature a wing span of 135 ft 9 in and four Bristol Centaurus radials and a maximum takeoff weight of 104,000 lb (the Lancaster max take-off weight was 72,000 lb). The performance estimates included a 300 mph speed and a 4,000 mile range with a weapons load of 10,000 lb over 2,300 miles or 23,500 lb over 1,000 miles. The defensive armament of the S.36 was to be ten 0.50 calibre machine guns, in three turrets. It was initially accepted for testing under Specification B.8/41 (written to cover it) and two prototypes were ordered but Arthur Harris, as commander of Bomber Command, felt that production would be too slow and would be better used to give the existing design improved Hercules engines, for a higher ceiling (which is reality proved only marginal). Shorts were told in May 1942 that the Air Ministry would not be continuing the project and in August Shorts decided to terminate work.

The one aspect of the Stirling design that I haven't been able to determine is why the fuselage was so long. Anyone know??
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    The boys are smiling because the have just been informed of the squadrons pending re-equipment with the Lancaster ......
    I think you could be right , its one of those WWII photo's I simply had to adjust and modify

Quote Originally Posted by Pips View Post
    Wow! I didn't know a Stirling was available for FSX. Going to download it if I can find it. Love that aeroplane!

The one aspect of the Stirling design that I haven't been able to determine is why the fuselage was so long. Anyone know??
    I do have a clipping here, the name changed from a Super Stirling to another when the program was cancelled , fuse length again was lack off foresight with bomb load/bay length and no depth but was more for the required spec's from the air ministry to carry the alotted load .. another was directional stability, or so mentioned.

Members who have read this thread: 10