Gauge Question

Thread: Gauge Question

Gauge Question

Hello:

I don't know if I'm in the correct forum for this question - or if this question has already been asked and answered - but here goes...
    Is there a way to change the night lighting of a specific gauge?

I have a couple of gauges that I use in almost all my aircraft and their fine during the day but at night they always show up White even when all the other surrounding gauges are in Red.. I've done the 'luminous' change in the panel.cfg but that doesn't effect these specific gauges so I was just wandering if there was a way I could 'edit' these gauges and change the night time color..

Thanks in advance for any tips / suggestions..

Bill

If they show up in white instead of red/pink, I would bet that the gauges were built using the IMAGE_USE_BRIGHT image flag instead of the usual IMAGE_USE_LUMINOUS tag.
    _LUMINOUS will illuminate the bitmap using the night lighting as defined by the sim.
    _BRIGHT will just draw the bitmap using the full "daylight" brightness regardless of the time of day. It gives it a white lighting effect but you can't switch it on/off with the panel lights command...it's "on" fulltime.

I used to use IMAGE_USE_BRIGHT for many of my MAPE gauges that I built for CFS2 since CFS2 didn't utilize the IMAGE_USE_LUMINOUS flag properly.
    This is coded into a C/C++ gauge and isn't editable without recompiling the gauge (or some hex editor digging I suppose).
    On an XML gauge, you should be able to dig into the source for the particular gauge using a text editor, find the offending image_flag, and edit it.

Are you working with a .GAU/.DLL file or an XML gauge? And what sim are you working in?
    Also, what gauge is it? If I've got it in my library I'll look at it closer.

Hey Mike:

Finally made it home from work.
    First of all, thanks for responding..
    Second, I did a little research before replying:
    1. I run FS9
    2. The gauge package I bought several years ago - it's called "Century Triden" and I believe it was put out by the same guy that does the "Airwrench" program.. It comes with an Autopilot and 2 gauges - Horizon and HSI

I really like them but lately I've been changing all my gauges to red for night time (which to me is more realistic) however these 2 gauges just stay 'white' just like you would see them in the daytime.

Prior to replying to you, I took a look at them and this popped up: "Element_Type_Static_Image".. Don't know what it means - I'm not in the gauge business!!!!!

What I might do tho is e-mail the person that made the package and see if he can help me - might be something that can't be changed... 'll keep ya posted..

Bill

I don't have that gauge in my stash, but yep it sounds like a regular .GAU gauge.
    Jerry has made a bunch of gauges over the years. I don't know if you can still contact him via his email address on the mudpond.org site or not and that's the last email address I have for him.

Assuming you're looking at the gauge using FSPanelStudio's gauge editor, check the following screenshot...
    Hit the "..." button right next to the "Flags" data field. It's right where the mouse cursor is in my screenshot.
    A pop-up will show what flags are being used by the gauge.
    But...it's kind of a moot point anyway since you can't edit those image flags using FSPS's gauge editor anyway.
    I'm pretty sure it is possible to edit the flags using a hex editor, but I don't remember exactly how anymore. That was long ago and far away!