AI at airfields - Page 2

View Poll Results: Do you care about AI?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, i like AI at every airport, big and small

90 82.57%
  • sorta, i ilke ai at the big international airports but i'm not that bothered with it at smaller ones

4 3.67%
  • sorta 2, like above, but the other way around

6 5.50%
  • no, ai are a pain, i have em all turned off!

3 2.75%
  • not bothered, i'll fly with em on or off

4 3.67%
  • I'm not saying, i just want to view the results!

2 1.83%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AI at airfields

This was done by Nigel Richards in the FS9 Forums after I asked some similar questions. . . .an excellent Step-by-Step tutorial using "AI Flight Planner".
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...r-STEP-by-STEP
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

AI is a very important part of simulated aviation for me. Unfortunately, I think the AI engine in FS9 is not so good as in FS2002. There was more versatility in runway use in FS2002. The facility in ADE9X to code ILS approaches for AI flights has made up for that. No more flying through mountains on approach thanks to Jim Vile.

I run a small AI VA out of Kodiak, AK. It serves the local community but is also in direct competition with AI Penair. I've just recently re-opened the old USCG base at Sitkinak Island, AK so that the occasional AI USCG flight can call with relief crew.

John

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JoHubb View Post
    ...The facility in ADE9X to code ILS approaches for AI flights has made up for that. No more flying through mountains on approach thanks to Jim Vile. ...
    Didn't know you could... does it add waypoints?
    And, what about departures through the mountains?

I use AFX and don't think it has this facility in-built

Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Z View Post
    Didn't know you could... does it add waypoints?

I use AFX and don't think it has this facility in-built
    I am talking about Airport Design Editor (ADE) which has versions for FSX and FS9. The link serves as a tutorial but I didn't find it easy going. Jim Vile is the AI approach guru - you can do a search on AVSIM and take a look at his curved AI approaches. That is the easiest way to learn. And then make one yourself. I managed it but it was a slow process.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13751

If you have ADE open any stock airport and you will see top right 'Approach Mode'. Click on this and your in. Backup any airport .bgl files you plan to work on.

And, what about departures through the mountains?
    No, the programmers wrote code for approaches (they are all there in the GPS) but they didn't write SIDs unfortunately. Departures are hard-coded and cannot be changed.

Have fun!

John

PS I couldn't make the link open on page 1 - best to 'start at the very beginning'.....

Charter Member 2011
    Thanks John - I thought maybe AFX also had this capability, I know ADE is very comprehensive.
    Funny how some of the tools just have a feature you cannot live without - and then you end up learning an entire software package just for that!
    I still miss AFCAD's very simple aircraft editor, so useful to jump in while doing parking...

I have to admit that most of what folks are talking about is flashing past over my head. No idea what the acronym's WOAI or MAIW mean. But I'm guessing that they have something to do with AI?

I spend my time potting around the countryside in small GA aircraft, bouncing from one small airstrip to another. Having some AI in the skies sure would liven things up somewhat, but not sure just how to go about getting AI planes out and about. Was thinking of something like Just Flights Traffic X, or Flight One's Ultimate Traffic. Do they fit the bill, or are they more large commercial airport AI add-ons?
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Pips,
    No problem:

WOAI= World of AI www.world-of-ai.com <-- requires the WOAI installer
    MAIW= Military AI Works www.militaryaiworks.com <--all military based packages for most countries.
    PAI= Project AI www.flightsimmer.com

Programs to set up AI with flightplans:
    AIFP2= AI Flight Planner v 2 (FS9/FSX)
    TTools= Traffic Tools 2 (FS9)

All freeware as well as all the models used.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Ahh Haa! Cheers matey.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

I wish WOAI would replace their AI planes with FSX-native ones...
    I wish WOAI would propose a full pack in just one file as well...

Also, something strange happened with AIFlightPlanner: I converted all of the FS9 traffic flightplans to FSX flightplans, and as a result, I got less AI planes in the airports !
    I never understood the reason...

WOAI only assemble the separate models, paints and flightplans from other authors into one package with a convenient installer. Another in the AI game, AIG, get the flightplans together while one has to find the models/repaints themselves. Some model developers are releasing FSX native models, as AIA recently did which will cover the majority of your airline traffic (mostly Boeing). For the rest of the models, I haven't seen any major issues in FSX so far.

Not sure about the other issue, I have seen a lone FS9 traffic.bgl sneak into my sim and cause some problems, as soon as I found the bad one, all returned to normal.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

I like sharing my world so AI keeps it real for me.

Hi All,

I've gotten used to seeing other planes and cars and now people when I fly. I like feeling like there's life down there and as I am trying out Flight that's one of the things I would like to see changed. I like having AI.

good flights, Cal

Members who have read this thread: 0