Milviz F-15E Service Pack - Page 7
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: Milviz F-15E Service Pack

I am not having any luck -- manually adding the Dlls or not. I think I might re-download the current version (I had the version that was pulled after a few hours). I need to get this figured out in the next few hours before I actually have to do real work

Great airplane though.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawka4m View Post
    I haven't bought this ....yet....but I have to ask this question...Are we all in training to fly the real F-15? Does it really matter that the FLCS is coming out of a hole in the floor? Last time I checked this was a SIMULATOR! This is beginning to take the fun out of what I enjoy about FSX/FS9 as we are seeking way to complex aircraft and frankly its most likely loosing people in the process.

Lets get back to the FUN of the simulator not the hole in the floor where the FLCS is coming through. Ok...back to flying my mustangs!

Skyhawka4m,

If I may ask, how is it that you know that it is a P-51 Mustang you are going to go back to flying and not a P-47 Thunderbolt or a Spitfire? It is because the devil is in the details and someone took the time to research put those details into the simulator.
    If it is just a flight simulator then all you need is a fuselage , wings and a tail, there is no need for details, flight characteristics, or any other such things, BUT the second you put a designation on it such as P-51, P-47, F-18, F-15C, D or E, or any other designation..then the details matter!
    I apologize if my love and passion for this bird are coming off as negative in anyway, but for some people it is more than just a plane. For some it is more than just pieces of metal held together with rivets and bolts, it is more than just wiring and switchs! For some it is something they have worked on or in for years or decades! For some it is something that has either saved their life or their brother in arms life on the ground and in the trenchs! For some it is something that they depended on to get them home as a victor and not a statistic.
    So forgive me if someone wants to make a simulation and put the F-15 designation on it and I want to honor my devotion to it and hold them to high standards to make it as realisic and accurate as possible! I just feel it is my obligation out of respect to do so, and it is within their capabilities to correct the issue!

Please make it possible,
    Rob

Charter Member 2012
    Rob - have you actually bought this product?

At some point I'm afraid that you are going to have to accept that for now it is what it is. It has been stated that it is intended to be improved upon. Your original posts were reasonable, but after you have already said you would let it go and then you keep coming back for more I guess it's time to say this needs to stop.
    Regards,
    Robert

Well, I just installed the current version of the Eagle (the one I'm sure you all have) -- and it is a whole different aircraft! More functionality, switches in different places, and I actually have a fuel slider in my loadout page.

I did have to manually input the .dll files. Frame-rates took a hit on this version -- but I guess everything is a compromise. I really like the bird. Thanks again Milviz.

Quote Originally Posted by robert_basil View Post
    Skyhawka4m,

If I may ask, how is it that you know that it is a P-51 Mustang you are going to go back to flying and not a P-47 Thunderbolt or a Spitfire? It is because the devil is in the details and someone took the time to research put those details into the simulator.
    If it is just a flight simulator then all you need is a fuselage , wings and a tail, there is no need for details, flight characteristics, or any other such things, BUT the second you put a designation on it such as P-51, P-47, F-18, F-15C, D or E, or any other designation..then the details matter!
    I apologize if my love and passion for this bird are coming off as negative in anyway, but for some people it is more than just a plane. For some it is more than just pieces of metal held together with rivets and bolts, it is more than just wiring and switchs! For some it is something they have worked on or in for years or decades! For some it is something that has either saved their life or their brother in arms life on the ground and in the trenchs! For some it is something that they depended on to get them home as a victor and not a statistic.
    So forgive me if someone wants to make a simulation and put the F-15 designation on it and I want to honor my devotion to it and hold them to high standards to make it as realisic and accurate as possible! I just feel it is my obligation out of respect to do so, and it is within their capabilities to correct the issue!

Please make it possible,
    Rob
    Rob,

Fully understand and appreciate your attention to detail. You are right in stating it is the attention in the details that inspire sales. It's also the innovation and bringing the dream of simulated flight to those that either cannot obtain that goal or have life paths that will not take them into most, if not all the aircraft represented by the various flight simulators. I for one, raised as an Air Force brat, growing up around many afterburner takeoffs, fly-bys and airshows, had a vivid dream of flight. However, because of vision flaws, would never qualify to be a pilot within the military.

Enter into the advent of computers and flight sims. I was in nirvana and so enamored with the early titles by Microprose and Microsoft, that I began living the dream, vicariously through the computer. Those were the heady days of the study simulations. Much button pushing, moving of levers and very simplistic joysticks. Those study sim publisher began to dry up and whither away, mostly due to costs and also attributed to a shifting market. However, Microsoft continued its course, but it too has lost its interest in study sim and now looks to a more lite sim variant with its upcoming Flight release.

It is the dedication of fewer and fewer designers, artists and coders that keep this current title alive. While there are many add ons out there for this great title, look no further than FS9 and it's dwindling support. Does Orbx accurately display all streets, houses and scenery with 100% accuracy, no. But their scenery is some of the best out there, no offense to other scenery makers. Is every FSX publishers aircraft, helicopter or boat 100% accurate, no. But how many of us will ever operate or own one to tell the difference? Few.

I am trying to establish that while your comments, valuable as they may be, are extremely draining on both customers, developers and potential buyers. Colin and crew have put together many fantastic products, including their T-38, which you refuse to purchase because you couldn't figure out the AV firewall.

We are blessed to have people such as yourself, with a passion to accurately represent their machines with high fidelity, but it is what it is. You need not purchase it for it's glaring inaccuracies, but I for one am tired of hearing the nitpicking. I will never fly an F-15 in real life, but I can tell you, I have flown the MILVIZ Mudhen, and it's fantastic! Thank you for your service to your country and I am certain, with your attention to detail, your maintained birds were never down due to anything you overlooked. So, can you cut them some slack and allow them to fix the more obvious missing or errant things and allow all to enjoy the MILVIZ product?

Matt

It looks to me that the general consensus is people are enjoying this bird

Now would be a great time to purchase the T-38 as well since it's on sale

Regards, Diego

I didn't see it on sale....on the Milviz website?

Matt

Here you are: http://www.milviz.com/fs/item.php?id=T-38A

Regards, Diego

Edit: I should phrase that it is on sale at another site, but you can get it for the lowest price at Milviz

And it's the one that does two things: a: it gives us the biggest chunk of the pie. Everyone else takes between 20 and 35%. and b: it's guaranteed for 30 days...

Gents,

Wow. First, well done to MILVIZ for having the fortitude and dedication to bring this to our community; you certainly had some challenges. I'm a 24 year active duty Navy Captain, and I've served with three of the four DoD services (missing the Army) on exchange tours and what not. Before someone nails me on the Coast Guard, they're DoT. Not much deployed time (just two 8 month deployments), so I won't make Flag. I've met, worked for, and served with pilots of both DoN and USAF flavor. Just met a Marine LtCol the other day who flies F-18s and had an exchange tour in F-15Cs awhile back. We had a really interesting conversation about flying both aircraft types. I've served in a direct Presidential support billet across two Administrations, so I know that there is a time when we need to take the mission very seriously (but not necessarily ourselves). I am not a pilot. I did want to offer some thoughts for whatever they're worth.

As a potential customer, I'm awaiting news of the patch and resolution of the installer issues - thanks for extending the price break. I'm not particularly worried about getting to 100% realism, but I have watched with first interest, and then dismay, as this thread (which should be about a triumph) has gotten wrapped up in the details of this F-15E simulator. I'm trying not to sound pedantic, but I ask my esteemed forum colleagues to consider a few questions (and I say this having always encourged payware constructive criticism - heck, we're paying for it, right?). Are we applying a reasonable metric for even payware. Is 100% accuracy and realism achievable? Is 100% accuracy and realism desired by most of our paying target audience? Is 100% accuracy supported by the business case analysis when you decide about the potential market? I would submit that the answer to all of these questions is "no".

Instead, if the expectation for most everyone was to design and operate these sims at the far end of the bell curve, where exponential increases in time and resources are required to get ever decreasing incremental product improvements, we would not have payware developers that could stay in business, let alone freeware developers. They'd all be bankrupt, or the start-up costs would be prohibitive. Is 90% or even 95% realism reasonable? Perhaps, if we could even measure it.

What would your average F-15E Eagle pilot say (if any of them can be considered "average") if we asked him about this simulator. My guess is that it would be something like (he say it with a slight smile); "Not bad guys. You got a few things wrong, but I'm pretty impressed." My thoughts exactly.

Tonight, I'm going to go kill some alien baddies in Crysis 2. Heck, that's certainly not realistic, but it is fun. Maybe there's something to be said for that as well...cheers, MILVIZ and congratulations on your product.

Regards,

LT1

Quote Originally Posted by 1970LT1 View Post
    Gents,

What would your average F-15E Eagle pilot say (if any of them can be considered "average") if we asked him about this simulator. My guess is that it would be something like (he say it with a slight smile); "Not bad guys. You got a few things wrong, but I'm pretty impressed." My thoughts exactly.

LT1

I showed my ground instructor, (former Lt. Col. F-15A/B/C/D/E pilot), the F-15E, and that was pretty much his response.

"A few things are wrong, but nothing worth mentioning."

In contrast to the Lt. Col. you met, my instructor did an exchange program with the Navy, flying F/A-18C/D's.

Small world

Best regards, Diego

Ya know, you nailed it. I am, to be honest, WAY more concerned with people who bought it and are having issues than with the rivet count. That's where my concentration is right now and believe me, I am dealing with several people all at the same time trying to resolve their issues...

Not easy. I would rather be doing fixes...

For sure -- you guys are doing great work on customer support.

My father flew about 6,000 hours in fighters, from the F-86 to the F-4. I'm a private pilot with about 70 hours -- so I am approaching his level of experience ......

He really likes flight sim, he thinks it's amazing we can do all the things we do in this sim. When I've let him fly aircraft that he flew in his career in sim, I always ask, "does it fly anything like the real thing?". He always answers, "No, it flies like a computer -- but it still feels pretty good."

This Eagle feels great, It is such a joy to fly. Thanks again Milviz. Get some rest -- and then fix these small bugs!

Cheers,

Chris

Rob,

Are you an F-15 pilot, or former F-15 pilot? Or just a seriously intense F-15 fan?

I understand your desire to have it as realistic as possible, but as someone who's flown in an F-15, I find your comment "it's not make-believe, it's a simulation" hilarious. No matter how accurate the armrests or rivet count, flying an FSX fighter is nothing like flying in a real high-performance aircraft. Even simulated laser combat in a T-34 is 1,000x more intense than the best home cockpit setup.

Please step back and consider that FSX aircraft are built by enthusiasts who do it out of passion, but have realistic limitations in the the time, data sources, sim capabilities, etc that they have available. Even though many FSX planes are priced at a level that seems out of line compared to downloadable content for other AAA game add-ons, nobody who has the talent to make FSX aircraft is doing it for the big money cash reward. Those skills could make them a lot more in other areas. Certainly, a customer is owed a decent product for the money, but at the same time, no simulation is going to be perfect, and it's not realistic for most sim producers to take every piece of feedback they get from the rivet counters and continuously upgrade the planes. They'd never finish, and the planes wouldn't even necessarily be better for the effort in the end. (Look at how the Falcon 4.0 mod teams have turned it it a great simulation for the desk jockeys who think learning the switch sequences to power up the plane are the fun part of jet air combat. Sigh.)

You may have information that they don't that can help make a plane even more authentic, but you might consider the tone of how you share it, and not come across as so critical and combative. To spend many months working hard on a product and have people just slam it for very minor stuff... Well, that's one reason flight sims are nearly dead now. I know many formerly passionate people who just said "f* it" and moved on after years of abusive or nitpicking reactions from sim fans.

The propaganda accusations make me want to go full-on SNL Shatner in response. "You may have created a full-on, rivet-accurate simulation of an F-15E with an authentic flight model, but its armrests are wrong, and its joystick is limp. It is worthless, good sir, worthless!"

Attachment 53163

Guys, Rob has agreed to let it go, and now it's time for everyone else to do likewise.
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Robert

While I trust and believe the folks at MILVIZ...have there been any reviews posted anywhere yet? My PC isn't the top notch unit I'm sure some have and frankly...I'm a jump in and fly kind of simmer.....can this be done in this aircraft without worrying about blowing up an engine?

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawka4m View Post
    While I trust and believe the folks at MILVIZ...have there been any reviews posted anywhere yet? My PC isn't the top notch unit I'm sure some have and frankly...I'm a jump in and fly kind of simmer.....can this be done in this aircraft without worrying about blowing up an engine?
    Jeansy shared this with me: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/...836#entry73836

Regards, Diego

Edit: Scroll down for some amazing screenshots!

Quote Originally Posted by MenendezDiego View Post
    Jeansy shared this with me: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/...836#entry73836

Regards, Diego

Edit: Scroll down for some amazing screenshots!
    Jeansy, great shots on the Ozx forums. What airport scenery are you using? Looks very nice!

Matt

thanks for dobbing me in

not a problem, while im quick to gripe, i like to give credit where credit is due

the scenery is just the ground textures from the africa and middle east package by ground environment,
    which is the perfect package to back up this f15

I purchased on Saturday and installed, laucnhed FSX and was not able to load weapons, i did notice i didnt have the DLL prompts. So delved into the DLL.xml and no Milviz items. I remembered about the installed for them being metioned in the readme's so ran that with admin and now FSX prompts for the DLL's... Simple fix for me...

Just now need to figure how to lock onto AI and launch AA missiles...

Find a target, make sure you in AA mode and that the radar is ON. switch to AIM 9 and SS on the radar. Get the target into the circle... when you see SHOOT... uh... SHOOT!

wait. watch.

Those are, especially the last, VERY pretty... I almost thought they were real. Nice!