Naval Air Stations

Thread: Naval Air Stations

Naval Air Stations

Since NAS Fallon is now out what are the chances of say NAS Lemoore and NAS Oceanna coming out also? Training bases are fine but the Master Jet Bases are the big part of NAVAIR, along with China Lake and Pt Mugu in Calif and PAX River in MD. Just hopefully asking if these are on anyone's table.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

I tried MAIW's Lemoore in FSX. I think it would work if it had some flattening applied to the random default vegetation that pops up. Their Whidbey Island works fine.

I'm rebuilding my version of El Centro and me we're thinking of PAX River maybe as a project. I really like the lay out of that field.

Oceana is most needed. Almost a requirement now. Just my two cents!

H

There is a Pax River at avsim by Jim Cook in the FSX scenery section.

If you download it you can email Jim about the others you are looking for. He has made a lot for FSX and may have some others that you are looking for.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Suprised

I'm suprised Navy Chief hasn't "chimed in" here by now. I wish someone made an old NAS Memphis (Milington) KNQA. It is now Millington Muni. Or make a Millington Muni for FSX.

I have both Lemoore and Oceana, but they're quite long in the tooth and more FS9 than FSX. My current plan (can't change a plan unless you've got a plan) is to release the rest of my pure fsx NAS's (KNGP,KNSE/KNDZ, KNPA), then take a look around. I've committed to Luke AFB, and I have MCAS Miramar about half done to throw into the mix.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by richoday View Post
    I'm suprised Navy Chief hasn't "chimed in" here by now. I wish someone made an old NAS Memphis (Milington) KNQA. It is now Millington Muni. Or make a Millington Muni for FSX.
    I think the Chief will be saying something about NAS Cecil Field as that was his home for many years. As for NAS Memphis, I'm for that as I went to and washed out of AV A School, which explains why I'm an AO. Pt. Mugu back in the days when NAVAIRES had a big presence there, it's getting a lot of TV time these days as NCIS uses it when they need an NAS/MCAS for a story element. NAWS China Lake would be hard as the airfield is so far from the base perimeter and due to the nature of it's mission getting info even about parking spots is difficult. Having been assigned there at one time it's hard for me to do an AFCAD because I refuse to make it even close to my time there in the 90's because of OPSEC.

Pt Mugu might be doable, and as of a few years back the Targets flight line had at least two Hawker Hunters, two Kifirs and a couple of Alpha Jets along with the last few QF-4J/S's. That would make for some interesting AI traffic in and out. Anyway, if Mr Dhaenens has the Master Jet Bases somewhere in the pipe I'll be patient and behave myself.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

I will be happy with whatever Jim puts out. I would, of course, prefer KNTU and KNLC at the top of the list, but beggers cannot be choosers
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Shylock View Post
    I'm rebuilding my version of El Centro and me we're thinking of PAX River maybe as a project. I really like the lay out of that field.
    Strikehawk is correct about NAS Cecil Field being on the top of my list for FSX sceneries that I hope get updated for FSX. John Stinstrom did a magnificent job on the FS9 version (in my opinion). He even did his utmost best to recreate the barracks near the chow hall, along with many other buildings that were on base at the time. 90% or more of those buildings are all gone now, since the closure of NAS Cecil Field, back in the late 90s. The City of Jacksonville took it over. So a recreation of Cecil for FSX would be awesome!

Also, I know that Jim Cook created a version of Pax River for FSX, but am holding out for a more detailed one. And I've also hoped that perhaps NAS Agana, Guam would be done some day.... I have a few pictures of VQ-1's hangar, plus there are some pictures available on the net of other buildings at Agana.

As for Cecil, I have quite a few pictures of the base. Although I was at Patuxent River from 73-76, I don't have any pictures of the hangars. Wish I did!

NC

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Strikehawk is correct about NAS Cecil Field being on the top of my list for FSX sceneries that I hope get updated for FSX. John Stinstrom did a magnificent job on the FS9 version (in my opinion). He even did his utmost best to recreate the barracks near the chow hall, along with many other buildings that were on base at the time. 90% or more of those buildings are all gone now, since the closure of NAS Cecil Field, back in the late 90s. The City of Jacksonville took it over. So a recreation of Cecil for FSX would be awesome!

Also, I know that Jim Cook created a version of Pax River for FSX, but am holding out for a more detailed one. And I've also hoped that perhaps NAS Agana, Guam would be done some day.... I have a few pictures of VQ-1's hangar, plus there are some pictures available on the net of other buildings at Agana.

As for Cecil, I have quite a few pictures of the base. Although I was at Patuxent River from 73-76, I don't have any pictures of the hangars. Wish I did!

NC
    And while we are at it Chief, NAS Olonagpo AKA (NAS Cubi Point) would be awesome too. I was there before Olongapo had paved streets. Circa 1963. Was stationed there in 1967/69 (Transient line maintenance and Mer/Ter shop). Every night was a Saturday night. And professional night was the day before payday (the guys who still had money to spend bar hopping out in town).
    We should of removed all the light bulbs from the Hangers before turning the base over to the locals. (IMHO).

I will be forever envious of those who made Westpac cruises, with port calls at Olongopo "Po City"!!!

I would hear so many sea stories about that place, that I felt I'd been there! Alas, it wasn't in the cards. All I ever made were Med cruises (boring in comparison). But at least I did get to spend my last six months on active duty in Japan, at Mcas Iwakuni. And that det included a 8 day stay on Wake Island, which was the most memorable experience of my entire career!

NC

MAIW's MCAS Beaufort "Fightertown East" isn't too shabby. It is better in FS9, though, I did remove the trees *.bgl for FSX which helped...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP wet), EVGA GTX 970 FTW, 16GB DDR3-2400,
    128GB SAMSUNG 830-Win 7 Ult x64, 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro-FS9/FSX/P3D, WD 1TB Black-FS98, ROF, etc. WD Black 2TB-Storage/Backup,

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I will be forever envious of those who made Westpac cruises, with port calls at Olongopo "Po City"!!!

I would hear so many sea stories about that place, that I felt I'd been there! Alas, it wasn't in the cards. All I ever made were Med cruises (boring in comparison). But at least I did get to spend my last six months on active duty in Japan, at Mcas Iwakuni. And that det included a 8 day stay on Wake Island, which was the most memorable experience of my entire career!

NC
    You would of most definitely liked the "scenery" in PO town. I can see you with a cold Sam Miguel (brown bottle) beer and maybe some monkey meat on a stick. Good eats over there. I am suprised you did not pull into subic.
    Most of my tours were Westpac and only one or two med cruises.

Stick Meat RULES!!!! When I was there, Baguio was also a nice place.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by richoday View Post
    You would of most definitely liked the "scenery" in PO town. I can see you with a cold Sam Miguel (brown bottle) beer and maybe some monkey meat on a stick. Good eats over there. I am suprised you did not pull into subic.
    Most of my tours were Westpac and only one or two med cruises.
    I was with VA squadrons on the Indy and Sara. All were Med cruises. One of them was when we hit Grenada, and then Lebanon. Almost all of the port visits for that deployment were canceled. Near the end, we did make a couple stops: Anatalya and Istanbul, Turkey.

But never made it to the P.I., unfortunately. I know I would have loved it!

Can just hear it now, "I love you, no sh...., take me stateside, buy me airconditioned Honda!"

Navy Chief

Charter Member 09
    In my day, if you ran across a Honda, you'd shoot it down. I wish someone would do NAS Jacksonville, NAS Memphis, NAS Norfolk and NAS Quonset Point, stations I served some duty in. Plus I would like NAS China Lake for the many times I visited there. They invented hot out there.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

NAS PAX River

There is an awesome version of PAX at MAIW that John Stinstrom did.

Quote Originally Posted by navychief8 View Post
    There is an awesome version of PAX at MAIW that John Stinstrom did.

Any texture issues when loaded into FSX? Thanks...NC

Helldiver,

NAS Jacksonville is on Flightsim dot com. updated it with the new hangars.

Any texture issues when loaded into FSX? Thanks...NC

..Not that I have encountered.
    Matt

Blast from the USMC past...

....how about El Toro MCAS (KNZJ)?

I grew up with it...and it was awesome!

Kent

Charter Member 09
    JD, That NAS Jacksonville doesn't show the Barracks, the Gedunk Stand or the Beer Garden where I spent most of my time. Plus they show all new hangars. NAATCenter is no longer there and the massive A&R hangar is non-existent.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

Quote Originally Posted by Felixthreeone View Post
    ..Not that I have encountered.
    I checked Flightsim.com, AVSIM, and Simviation. No sign of John Stinstrom's Patuxent scenery. But no problem, I'll just email him! NC

Members who have read this thread: 2