Something slightly off topic, but may interest some.

Thread: Something slightly off topic, but may interest some.

Something slightly off topic, but may interest some.

Can anyone tell me what THIS is?

Attachment 59154

Yes, it IS a Seabee thats broken up, but can anyone tell what im planning with it? Here is a hint. take a look at the sponsons for your clue.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

someone is doing a scale model?

That "someone" is me! Its not a true "scale" model in that it does not follow the rules of 1/48 or 1/72. Its just a desk model im making for myself from the KCFS Seabee 3D model. I have been wanting to do something like this FOREVER. Now the technology is out there to model stuff like this, and print them in 3D!

http://www.shapeways.com/

This is a company that will take a 3D file like the Seabee and print them out. Im aiming for a 6" long model in the frosted detail plastic.

http://www.shapeways.com/materials/frosted_detail

Im really excited about this, and its almost finished! It will take about a week or two once its done to get it back from the printers though.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Interesting . How large can we build ? Could be useful in a cockpit build making those switch shapes or lever hand grips etc.
    Will be interested to hear about the quality and strength as regards to something in everyday use like a switch lever.
    Keep us informed . Thanks.

Here's one built using a 3D printer that flies (RC). Not as detailed as your model, but the potential looks promising.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

This one is just going to be a small 6" desk model for myself. I have seen some massive builds but I dont know the max size. Im sure it list's it on the web page somewere. There are a few tricks to building these that you need to know. First, you pay per cubic MM. That means solid models will get REALLY expensive. Thats why you can see I made all my parts hollow. Second, your parts need to pass whats called an STL Check. Its part of 3D Studio's Max. Basically the object must not have any open holes or leaks. Another thing to consider is since its built on layers, shallow angles will be hard. I may have a problem with the trailing edges of my wings and tail.

Its just something I have always been wanting to do. Im also going to design a silver ring for my wife. I will show everyone the results once I get it done and back from the printers! I would put them up for sale, but I think its going to be expensive. Im guessing around $40-$50 for a 6" model. This stuff aint cheep! Maybe I will do a smaller 3" one without all the detail for $20 if people are interested. I also have a TON of 3D models on my hard drive I can do this with.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller