Pitot tube blocked?

Thread: Pitot tube blocked?

Pitot tube blocked?

I saw pitot heater switch in my plane, does that means my pitot tube could freeze at higher altitude if i don't turn on my pitot heaters?
    Does it work? cause i have never experienced wrong indication on my static instruments..
    Student returing to WB on first GF solo.
    ABC - "WB ABC request joining and landing instructions currently FL7500 (he meant 7500')"
    Tower - "ABC report planet earth in sight!"

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    Don't think it's actually simulated, but, because the VCs of so many FS planes are now immaculately modeled, it's included.

Others will chime in, but I've never run into any issue with static stuff freezing up. :ernae:
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10
    Dedicated SSD for FSX:SE

I am not sure whether it was in the Pilatus or the Maule, but I flew in Switzerland recently and realised my ASi wasn't working. Switching on the pitot heater brought it back to life. I was so impressed that I told Mrs H, who reacted with her usual interest.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by PilatusTurbo View Post
    Don't think it's actually simulated, but, because the VCs of so many FS planes are now immaculately modeled, it's included.

Others will chime in, but I've never run into any issue with static stuff freezing up. :ernae:
    Yes it is simulated in FSX, including on the default planes.
    If you don't set the pitot heat, your airspeed gauge will quickly stop working.

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    I am not sure whether it was in the Pilatus or the Maule, but I flew in Switzerland recently and realised my ASi wasn't working. Switching on the pitot heater brought it back to life. I was so impressed that I told Mrs H, who reacted with her usual interest.
    Can you link me to those planes i would like to test i suppose tat Pilatus is Flight1 ver.? or were you flying for real :mixedsmi:
    ABC - "WB ABC request joining and landing instructions currently FL7500 (he meant 7500')"

The Pilatus is pc-6c_h2turboporter.zip. Probably FlightSim.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

As long as the Pitot Heat switch is modeled, I make sure it's turned on before I taxi as more often than not it's effect is modeled. As Daube mentions, if you don't turn it on, under certain conditions the ASI will quit working.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

There is actually a variable in FSX for pitot icing percentage ie 0% == unblocked, 100% == totally blocked. And yes Pitot heat gets rid of icing. Airframe icing also exists in FSX for that matter....
    -JB

...as well as carburetor icing on piston planes. Flying in clouds in the winter almost always causes carburetor and pitot tube icing.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    Well, hell, I gotta go fly one of my piston planes up into high clouds on a cold day. I wanna see the air frame ice effect! :ernae: Wonder if she'll actually start losing speed and increasing angle of attack, or stalling even.... That would be too cool. :salute:
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10
    Dedicated SSD for FSX:SE

Well, hell, I gotta go fly one of my piston planes up into high clouds on a cold day. I wanna see the air frame ice effect! :ernae: Wonder if she'll actually start losing speed and increasing angle of attack, or stalling even.... That would be too cool. :salute:
    When FSX went available, there were a lot of messages on the forums from people complaining about the 747's suddently dropping in a stall from level flights.
    Icing "visuals" are not modelled in the default planes, but the effects are there, as far as I know.

Same here

Actually I might make a nice video out of this experiment

Pitot heat definitely does work in FSX. Noticed it on my SR-71 in certain weather conditions when I forgot to turn on pitot heat for take-off and part of the climb.

Pity they dont simulate friction temperature since the SR-71 shouldnt even need airframe anti ice......
    -JB

Don't think it's actually simulated
    Yes it is simulated, happens all the time. (Okay, not all the time but you know hat I mean...)
    MarkH

Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Yes, icing is simulated in FSX. I've had the ASI begin to give lower and lower airspeed readings, yet the GPS indicated no change in ground speed. Switching "on" the pitot heat solved the issue with the ASI. I go to the Jeppesen general aviation maps weather page before starting a flight to look for winds, turbulence and icing conditions along my flight plan.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto-kun View Post
    Pity they dont simulate friction temperature since the SR-71 shouldnt even need airframe anti ice......
    Technically the SR-71 doesn't have any airframe de-ice except for one of the front panes of glass to enable the pilot to see! It didnt get supersonic until 30,000ft then once supersonic the pitot heat wasnt needed anymore I believe that is modelled in FSX. However the crews never intentionally flew through storm clouds and other systems that would cause airframe icing, of course once you're above all that you can fly wherever you like!