Help with AFX

Thread: Help with AFX

Help with AFX

I have an airport I've made alot of changes to in order to line it up with photoscenery. All was going well, and it was showing up in flightsim until I chose to enable taxiway signs. Now it won't show in flightsim when I go to fly. It will show in the AFX grid, and also show in flightsim when I lock it to the flightsim position for viewing...but it won't show in the sim when it comes time to fly. I can't find anything in the manual that fits my problem here. Any ideas from AFX users?

Hi Bone,

Never come across this one and I've had AFX since it was released... How do you mean 'enable' taxiway signs - do you mean you added them?

Perhaps try posting your problem on the official forum?

http://www.simforums.com/Forums/airp...r_forum31.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bone View Post
    I have an airport I've made alot of changes to in order to line it up with photoscenery. All was going well, and it was showing up in flightsim until I chose to enable taxiway signs. Now it won't show in flightsim when I go to fly. It will show in the AFX grid, and also show in flightsim when I lock it to the flightsim position for viewing...but it won't show in the sim when it comes time to fly. I can't find anything in the manual that fits my problem here. Any ideas from AFX users?
    Steve, do you have this AFCAD setup inside a new scenery folder?. . . .or is it just in the Addon Scenery/scenery folder? The reason I ask is because sometimes, for some unknown reason, if I just drop an AFCAD in the default location it won't always show, but if I setup a new scenery folder (ie, main scenery folder with a scenery folder and texture folder inside it) and drop the AFCAD in that new scenery/scenery folder it will show up. Weird I know, but I started seeing that when I was doing my scenery projects. From that point on I would make a new folder. . . .say for Carswell_AFB, then inside that folder I added one for "texture" and one for "scenery". . . .dropped the AFCAD and all the bgl's in the scenery folder and all the textures in the texture folder. Activated it in the scenery library and never had any more problems with things not showing up.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Torkington View Post
    Hi Bone,

Never come across this one and I've had AFX since it was released... How do you mean 'enable' taxiway signs - do you mean you added them?

Perhaps try posting your problem on the official forum?

http://www.simforums.com/Forums/airp...r_forum31.html
    Maybe it said add, and not enable. It was a window that popped up after I saved the file and went to close out AFX.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Steve, do you have this AFCAD setup inside a new scenery folder?. . . .or is it just in the Addon Scenery/scenery folder? The reason I ask is because sometimes, for some unknown reason, if I just drop an AFCAD in the default location it won't always show, but if I setup a new scenery folder (ie, main scenery folder with a scenery folder and texture folder inside it) and drop the AFCAD in that new scenery/scenery folder it will show up. Weird I know, but I started seeing that when I was doing my scenery projects. From that point on I would make a new folder. . . .say for Carswell_AFB, then inside that folder I added one for "texture" and one for "scenery". . . .dropped the AFCAD and all the bgl's in the scenery folder and all the textures in the texture folder. Activated it in the scenery library and never had any more problems with things not showing up.
    Actually Ed, I had the reverse problem. I had the airport in my scenery folder on another drive, and none of my changes showed up in the sim went I went to fly. So, I put the folder in the addon scenery folder inside FSX and it showed up when I went to fly. When I started getting this current problem, I put the airport back in my scenery folder on the other drive, but it won't show.

In my experiences with AFX, if you go to save the file into a folder that is not an active scenery layer within FSX, as of AFX's starting up, you will get a prompting about saving to that (inactive) folder.

If you restart AFX and ask it to load a file it will only be looking within an active scenery layer.

So wherever the file is on the other drive, is that location active in the Scenery Library? If not, add it and restart FSX and AFX and the file should be available to you.

Otherwise try to grab a screen capture of any message.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshman View Post
    In my experiences with AFX, if you go to save the file into a folder that is not an active scenery layer within FSX, as of AFX's starting up, you will get a prompting about saving to that (inactive) folder.

If you restart AFX and ask it to load a file it will only be looking within an active scenery layer.

So wherever the file is on the other drive, is that location active in the Scenery Library? If not, add it and restart FSX and AFX and the file should be available to you.

Otherwise try to grab a screen capture of any message.
    Thanks, it's in an active scenery folder. I started having the issue when it was in the internal FSX adddon scenery folder, and it had been showing up. I moved it to see if that would make it show up after the problem started. Where I moved it is active.

Bloody hell. I found what the problem was. The AFX program creates a file and puts it in Scenery/World/scenery if you change the elevation of the airport...which I had done, and then I changed it back. However, that pesky file was still in Scenery/World /scenery. So, after about 8 read-throughs of the manual and umpteen clicks on every tool bar icon and option, I had a "eureka" moment. I made a trip to Scenery/World /scenery and assasinated file "AFX_X3KN_ALT.bgl". I'm happy to say my troubles are over...for now, anyway.

My brain needs alcohol.

Members who have read this thread: 0