Washing Dishes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing Dishes

Washing Dishes

Thought I should post this question before I think about it too much. Might change my mind. We all fly 'scientifically'. We develop 'routines'. Some of us are sticklers for detail. Where 'some' of us use slew to take off and use tower view to fly (you know who you are). My question is this: Do you often 'Do The Dishes'? And if so, what ('scientific') ROUTINE (if any) have you developed over the years? And finally, how has being a simmer influenced that routine? Just curious.

My routine is to scrape the goop of plates. Then pre-rinse. Then I do the crystal (glasses, cups) first. Then I do the silver (spoons, forks, etc). Then I do the plates. And finally I do the pots & pans. It HAS to be in that order in my book (or rather, house). And I clean the stove top (yes burners too) and counter(s), plus I throw out the trash. No exceptions (hehe). What's your routine? (Let the 'ladies' do it? Order pizza? Eat out? Bar-B-Q? Skip meals? Boil some Ramen? Use (ugh) paper plates?).
    Chuck B
    Napamule

Let the sink pile up with dirty dishes and glasses until there's no more room. Then with the tap running, using a scrub sponge fill with liquid soap, wash the items as I grab them, working from the top down until the sink is clear. I place the dishes on a rack in the sink next to the washing sink and let them drip dry.

You guys are not doing enough simming!!! How come you have so much time to cook and eat???

Alan

~ A clear conscience is usually the sign of a poor memory ~

Pans get washed first straight after use as do cups and glasses. Dinner plates get an overnight soaking. So yes I have a problem too
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

at the firehouse we had to do the plates first..then drain the sinks...yes sinks...then refill and do utensils..then drain/rill and do glasses/cups and other containers..drain/fill and then pots and pans.... and i had allways done my home this way as well.....then i met the lasyiest woman i have ever met and i gave up for well over a year ....and now...well im to fat and disabled to do much of anything.....

Two words: Automatic Dishwasher
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Glasses, plates, bowls, silverware, pots and pans. One batch of water for the glasses, plates and bowls, a fresh batch of water for the silverware and pots/pans.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Clean and Soak dishes first overnight then into dishwasher in the morning. Then wife will rearrange dishes in dishwasher as if I put them in wrong. Start dishwasher and empty as soon as done.

Don't know. Last time I did the dishes was when I worked in the scullery in boot camp.

My Mom lives with me and she doesn't thinke I do the dishes correctly so I just let her go ahead and do them the"right" way. My routines revolve around making coffee in the AM. But the routines apply across the board. Some of us are just more routinized.

LA

I am the dishwasher (manually, no automatic dishwasher in my 65 year-old house), the cook, clean house, do the laundry, clean out the cat litter box and also work 40+ hours a week. My wife does what she can, but recovering from two major surgeries, shingles, and a recent fall also make me something of a LPN. I sometimes wonder where I find the time to fly my computer. Most days I'm exhausted and fall asleep on the couch a short time after eating dinner and do my simming on my so-called day off (when I'm not doing the laundry, etc.).
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

What? Are all you people Amish? Living in the 17th century? Never heard of Maytag?
    I jest....
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Charter Member 2011
    rinse round almost straight after eating/drinking, fill with clean water, rinse quickly before next use .. sorted (only works with bowls/cups though!)
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    Glasses, plates, bowls, silverware, pots and pans. One batch of water for the glasses, plates and bowls, a fresh batch of water for the silverware and pots/pans.

OBIO
    Indeed and this is the method I was taught also. Reinforced by my stint in restaurant washing dishes. Sadly nowdays, since there's only me at home, I do them by the "running water + tub of hot wash water" method.

Hmm, insert your own witty saying here --

Charter Member 2015
    The dirtier the plates/pots,the better. I bring the lot out to the dog's kennel...he leaves everything sparkling!

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

It was a treat to finally get a modern convenience in our 100 year old house when we updated everything. Firing up a dishwasher is one of those small wonders that I still feel grateful for being able to have. Now I figure we got a dishwasher to wash dishes, so I let it have first crack, except for stuff I know obviously needs a first assault by hand. Anything comes out still dirty I take care of but at least those are at a minimum and typically everything comes out clean and ready to put away. The wife INSISTS on pre-washing EVERYTHING, something I suspect she got from her mom. So she spends time, water, and soap pre-washing stuff saying I'm doing it wrong. For sure, her loads don't need re-washing but I say the time and effort she pre-puts into the process is wasted, as compared to my letting the machine do what I paid for it to do and does well 98.6% of the time, WITHOUT pre-doing everything. I'm not looking for anyone to say I'm right or wrong here, there is a relationship to maintain after all. I know I'm right just as much as she knows she's right. I was just wondering how many others out there have this discussion. I'm seriously thinking of sending this conundrum to Myth Busters. Still do the teflon pans and other 'delicates' by hand.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Quote Originally Posted by aeromed202 View Post
    It was a treat to finally get a modern convenience in our 100 year old house when we updated everything. Firing up a dishwasher is one of those small wonders that I still feel grateful for being able to have. Now I figure we got a dishwasher to wash dishes, so I let it have first crack, except for stuff I know obviously needs a first assault by hand. Anything comes out still dirty I take care of but at least those are at a minimum and typically everything comes out clean and ready to put away. The wife INSISTS on pre-washing EVERYTHING, something I suspect she got from her mom. So she spends time, water, and soap pre-washing stuff saying I'm doing it wrong. For sure, her loads don't need re-washing but I say the time and effort she pre-puts into the process is wasted, as compared to my letting the machine do what I paid for it to do and does well 98.6% of the time, WITHOUT pre-doing everything. I'm not looking for anyone to say I'm right or wrong here, there is a relationship to maintain after all. I know I'm right just as much as she knows she's right. I was just wondering how many others out there have this discussion. I'm seriously thinking of sending this conundrum to Myth Busters. Still do the teflon pans and other 'delicates' by hand.

Myth Busters, the perfect solution. The reason I pre-wash is either becasue the dishes sat there and now have dried food chunks all over them so of course I soak them overnight for easy removal of chunks. Milk left at the bottom of glasses.....YUK....this happes a lot as well. I Find them around the house from my wife and child. You could start a bacteria culture in some of these glasses. They as well get the soaking..BIG time soaking and of course I don't ever use these glasses as well. I have my own set of glasses I use just becasue...lol.

Jim

Retired SOH Administrator
    If it don't fit in the dishwasher, throw it away...lol. It takes Linda and I a few days to get the DW loaded up enough to do a load.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

im an ex-plumber...for clairity..yes i was a firefighter,drove race cars semi-pro ( as i like to say,i did get paid) and i was a plumber,my father,grandfather and a great uncle were all plumbers..i started when i was 12 yo,not that this maters,,but i was good at working with lead..( i know),but i could use a running rope and pour lead joints horizontaly,not many my age knew how to do that the correct way or even how to do it at all....
    back to dishwashers,,,,,they do not have a way to remove the food "yuck" from the bottom of the dishwasher itself..there is a screen and most people will never clean it..if they even know its there..and if yer are the type who doesnt pre-rinse atleast..the food will wash down to that screen and in time it will rott and smell really bad...people then search theyre kitchen for dead mice ect to no avale and the whole time its the dishwasher...the drainline is then to go from the dishwasher to a safety valve that sits on your sinktop,little chrome dome usually,,works as a "breathing tube"its an anti siphon valve..its then hooked to the garbage disposal if one is presant..if not..it goes to a sink tailpiece above the P-trap,,,,

bottomline.....food wont make it past the screen..and if it does..the anti-siphon will stop it,because it will get stuck there..and then...well it would go to the disposal and well you'd have to run it....

please ..pre-rinse...but you dont need to wash...use a quality dishwasher detergant

Other than making sure that the puppy's food and water bowl are always spotless and sanitary, I don't ever wash dishes.

Even if I had the sudden urge to wash dishes I would be SOL as there are no dishes in my house. I have a set of water glasses, but have all of them tucked away except for the one that I use to drink water. That one stays in the fridge when not in use.

There's no need for dishes as I never keep food in the house other than the nice selection of food the pup eats. The only thing the fridge is for is to keep open cans of the pup's food fresh and to hold the water glass when not in use. There' also a Zero Water Pitcher in the fridge. The ZW Pitcher was purchased for the pup, but after tasting how good the water comes out of that thing, we share that device.

Worst case scenerio is that even if I let things completely slide, I have one glass, two puppy bowls, one spoon and a ZW Pitcher to wash.

FAC

I used to take mine down to the creek and beat them against the rocks.....then my wife told me that was supposed to be the clothes! Who woulda thunk??

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

My wife used to take me down to the creek and beat me with rocks.....she said it was to wash my clothes.

I have discovered this about an automatic dishwasher (and in our married life we've not always had one). No matter which way I load it....it's wrong.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

I let it pile up. Then I either get a new girlfriend or I sell the house. Works every time. End of story.

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

We like to dine with family and friends, at their homes of course, or several of our favourite restaurants, no dish washing required!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Compulsive.

I wash everything instantly.

Cooking, done with a pot or pan, stuff poured into serving dish, pot or pan washed now, dumped in drying rack. Finish cooking, kitchen already clean, no evidence left. That said...I never dry dishes. They sit in the drying rack until...well...dry.

Put away next morning.

Meals...dishes straight from the table to the sink, done immediately. Then off to the fireside for brandy and cigars.....umm...no...beer and flightsim.....okay...flightsim with tv going off to one side.