Cloning disc question

Thread: Cloning disc question

Cloning disc question

Hi,

Hopefully will be able to move my OS onto an SSD in a few weeks time. Can any of you experts tell me is it possible to use cloning software to transfer the stuff from my HD onto the SSD or will I have to build again from nothing upwards?

Thanks Ron

I'd think so Ron. I've certainly done it using Acronis software from one hd to another when I needed a more roomy hd.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Thanks Roger,

Was hoping that would be the case but suddenly thought that it might need size for size to place bytes in the same location on transfer.

Going to use a couple of 120's for each OS (WinXP and WIN7) and buy a larger SSD for all the other bits and pieces.

Cheers Ron

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ronvking View Post
    Thanks Roger,

Was hoping that would be the case but suddenly thought that it might need size for size to place bytes in the same location on transfer.

Going to use a couple of 120's for each OS (WinXP and WIN7) and buy a larger SSD for all the other bits and pieces.

Cheers Ron

If you've Win7 Professional,Enterprise or Ultimate you have an option to use XP mode....saves the hassle of dual booting.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/w...e-in-windows-7
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

You have to reset some BIOS settings if you're going to swap to an SSD. Specifically the AHCI. If you've been running a HD, and then just stick in an SSD, the computer won't recognize the SSD.

Hi Kilo Delta, I had tried that before going duel boot but for some reason one program refused to run under the XP mode and its one I need to use daily and never been updated cos the company didnt update it before changing hands.

Thanks Bone, I'll watch out for that. I am running the two 120g SSD already for FSX and other bits but FSX is getting rather full so though I might try going fully SSD with a 1TB hard drive as an external back up.

Quote Originally Posted by ronvking View Post
    Hi Kilo Delta, I had tried that before going duel boot but for some reason one program refused to run under the XP mode and its one I need to use daily and never been updated cos the company didnt update it before changing hands.

Thanks Bone, I'll watch out for that. I am running the two 120g SSD already for FSX and other bits but FSX is getting rather full so though I might try going fully SSD with a 1TB hard drive as an external back up.

Yeah, if the op system is on a regular HD, you obviously can run SSD's as additional drives without any BIOS changes. The issue is with going from an op system on an HD, to an op system on an SSD.