CCF Burnelli CBY-3 Loadmaster

Thread: CCF Burnelli CBY-3 Loadmaster

CCF Burnelli CBY-3 Loadmaster

There was a thread here recently about aircraft you'd like to see in FS9; can't seem to find it at the moment, but I did come across this.

Attachment 57390

Looks like anything designed by Vincent Burnelli would be an interesting addition to FS!

http://the-things-with-wings.blogspo...-fuselage.html

Anyone know of anything equally as odd?

Az

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    There was a visit to the U.S. in the 1930s, I think, by a mass flight of twin-engined, twin-hulled Italian flying boats that looked very similar in basic planform to your photo. That's all I can remember about that aircraft, but their appearance was very striking and I don't recall seeing that aircraft in the FS9 offerings on the major sites (probably wrong though). Would like to see that one as well.

There's a real one - I think the same one as in the photo you posted - at the New England Air Museum.

One day many years ago, before it was restored, a friend and I snuck into the holding area and went inside it. From the outside you'd get the idea that it's very spacious in that wide, thick blended wing-fuselage, but what a surprise. We couldn't stand up in it, and we could barely move around because of the forest of internal ribs, struts and braces.

We got the impression that if we ever had to fly a load of anvils, this would be the plane to use, but that it would be impossible to put any cargo items of any size in it. Any passengers better not be claustrophobic!

Another great concept that worked quite well as far as being an efficient flyer, but fell short on practicality.

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    There was a visit to the U.S. in the 1930s, I think, by a mass flight of twin-engined, twin-hulled Italian flying boats that looked very similar in basic planform to your photo. That's all I can remember about that aircraft, but their appearance was very striking and I don't recall seeing that aircraft in the FS9 offerings on the major sites (probably wrong though). Would like to see that one as well.
    You're thinking of the Savoia S.55X that flew the Atlantic (and back) in formation to visit the Chicago World's Fair. The mission was led by Italo Balbo, Mussolini's air minister and head of the Regia Aeronautica, and for years afterwards a large formation of airplanes was known as a "Balbo."

The S.55 series looked a bit like the Burnelli Liftmasters in some views, but they were really totally different. In the views where the looked alike, the angle hid the fact that the Savoia was actually a catamaran, with two separate hulls. The cockpit was in the wing between the hulls, and the twin engines were mounted back to back in a single nacelle supported above the cockpit on struts.

There is an FS9 model of the S.55X, but I don't recall who made it. It was released years ago, when FS9 was young.

it was actually a FS2002 model and still available:

FS2002 Savoia Marchetti S 55 X
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: sm55x_v3.zip Size: 2,166,003 Date: 02-10-2003 Downloads: 2,437
    FS2002 Savoia Marchetti S 55 X Italian flying boat. The model here presented shows one of the examples of the plane that took part to the historic North Atlantic flight to commemorate the tenth anniversary of foundation of Italian Royal Air Force in 1933. Archive contains two different examples of the plane. One with Marshall Italo Balbo marks and the other with that of Capt. Nannini. This is the 3rd version of the model, it is made with FSDS2 and has full moving parts, a detailed cockpit canopy with pilot inside, a 3D virtual cockpit. Model and panel by Massimo Taccoli. The Balbo example is repainted by Luigi Speroni.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Vincent Burnelli had lots of ideas that made it to the flight stage and a few that didn't ...

http://www.aerofiles.com/_burnelli.html
    http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/...-owen_oa-1.php
    http://www.aviastar.org/air/usa/a_burnelli.php

There's a wealth of inspiration for "odd" types here:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...read-Part-Deux

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Members who have read this thread: 0