Prop Pitch?

Thread: Prop Pitch?

Uriah

Prop Pitch?

IL2 has prop pitch. I noticed CFS3 has 'Prop (de/in crease RPM incrementally). Is that the same thing?

In one word: Yes :costumes:

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

OberstDanjeje
    But in CFS3 is almost useless since u can't over rev the engine (use higher rpm then the nominal one), u can use the prop pitch only for lower the consumption

I have a slightly related question : I want to use mixture settings, but I do not know how to decide which setting to use ? I suppose mixture should be lower at higher altitude, but what do I use to monitor correct/incorrect setting ?

Thanks.

Wildfowler
    Check the Manifold pressure. It drops, lean off the mixture.

Quote Originally Posted by OberstDanjeje View Post
    But in CFS3 is almost useless since u can't over rev the engine (use higher rpm then the nominal one), u can use the prop pitch only for lower the consumption
    Though I am not a real-life pilot myself, I'd say that it's certainly not useless. Flying with low prop pitch does not only reduce your fuel consumption but also your engine temperature. However, the ability to accelerate quickly is also reduced. So low prop pitch for cruising is fine but when it's dogfighting time, it's probably best to switch to fine pitch again, providing you can keep up enough speed to cool your engine. If not, you 'll overheat it to the point where it seizes up. I always compare it to low gear/high gear in cars or bikes.

But if I am wrong about this, then there's probably a real pilot around to correct me.

OberstDanjeje
    Frosty u are right but in CFS3 the engine never overheat, at least never happen to me!!

Quote Originally Posted by OberstDanjeje View Post
    Frosty u are right but in CFS3 the engine never overheat, at least never happen to me!!
    I think you are right - it was in CFS2 with the 1% Flight Models -, in CFS3 it seems to be tied in with the functioning of the cooling system. Once that is busted, your engine quickly overheats and seizes. Although I have no hard evidence to confirm it, I always have the feeling that I can postpone that event by reducing the prop pitch.

BTW @ noelberrier; try to find a pilot's handbook of your favourite a/c. It 'll probably give you the correct setting for altitude/mixture combinations. Wildflower probably has the 'good pilot's solution' - check your instruments - but I always listen to the engine sound and lean it above 3,000 ft to the point where the engine starts coughing and then enrich just enough.

BTW

Here's a good film on the basics of P-47...

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/w...061206160.html

There are two more parts there somewhere...

N.

Thanks guy, I'll try !

... but which one is my favourite ? This new question is even more hard to answer than the first one !