Mach Loop Wales flightplan?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mach Loop Wales flightplan?

Mach Loop Wales flightplan?

I'm looking for the Mach Loop flightplan
    Any idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsHQ4zOnPL0

Thank you!
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

It's something like this, although cunningly the only Low Flying map I have stops about half way across it so the Northern bit is an educated guess.

Your best bet is to take off from RAF Valley, head south down the coast and then turn in when you reach the right lattitude (~N52.55), at which point it should be fairly easy to pick up the valley, you're then just following the road in a counter-clockwise circle. Note I've only done it once and that was in a Jetstream which made the whole experience much more civilised.

Attachment 57058

Blog Entries
    Hi,
    I'm not sure of the exact flight plan, but if you take of from <st1lace w:st="on"><st1lacename w:st="on">RAF</st1lacename> <st1lacetype w:st="on">Valley </st1lacetype></st1lace>on Anglesey North Wales, Head east and cross over the Menai strait you will see the Snowdonia mountains. Find the largest passage, you will fly over a lake,and your on your way (although in the films they actualy go the other direction). <o></o>

You will find it very spectacular if you have the Horizon photo scenery for <st1:country-region w:st="on">England</st1:country-region> & <st1lace w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Wales</st1:country-region></st1lace> installed.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Regards,
    Ian.

A while ago I made this feeble attempt - see attached, I'd be happy if someone could do a better one. It is a VFR FSX flightplan file, the idea is to depart from RAF Llanbedr, fly the Loop (counter clockwise) and land at RAF Valley. It helps to use the GPS...

Attachment 57060Attachment 57059
    Attachment 57062

Thank you Gentlemen!
    Tomorrow flying low, there...

Regards,
    Zsolt
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Don't frighten the sheep! They have a bad enough time amongst the Taffys.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Joining from the Bwlch area (which is between Lake Bala, an obvious visual reference, and Cadair Idris) you head towards Cadair and look for the V shaped entry to the left of that mountain. If you are leaving the pattern you continue straight ahead over the Tal-y-Llyn lake towards Tywyn, however if you are going around for another run you should position yourself to the right side of the valley ready for a sharp turn just before the lake ('Corris Corner'). If you've positioned yourself correctly, it's between 90 and 100 degrees - too fast or a lazy turn will see you in the hillside. Follow the valley down to just north of Machynlleth, then turn to follow the Dyfi Valley north easterly until you reach Dinas-Mawddwy - turn just before there and drop over the top back into the circuit.

If you have google earth installed, have a look before you fly it. There are quite a few valleys around there and it's easy to follow the wrong one and find yourself with no exit if you've not planned it.

Not a flight plan, but MSPG Simulations have some interesting "spotters" scenery for the Mach Loop:

http://www.mspgsimulations.com/mach-loop-fsx.html

Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

good old LFA07.... one of my favourite places.... once you've done a few laps you start to remember it and keep finding it even if you don't mean to....

425th Alouette MAS and VMA214 MAV VA Squadron

Map:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails machloopmap.jpg  

Zsolt,

It can be flown in any aircraft. Fast or slow.
    DH Vampire

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot406.jpg   screenshot407.jpg   screenshot408.jpg  

Gloster Meteor

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot420.jpg   screenshot421.jpg   screenshot422.jpg   screenshot423.jpg  

And for really low - AW 109

The 109 is good for learning the route !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot244.jpg   screenshot248.jpg  

Here is a set of plans I downloaded from somewhere. There is one for a North Entrance and one for a South Entrance that originate from RAF Valley.

Has anyone not realised this thread is from 2012 and sprang into life again today??

ATB
    DaveB

lol, lol. . .I'm always irritated that people seem to only read the title and then the last post and simply add their 2cents. . . .and now I am irritated at myself, LMAO.

Yep, I saw it was old. Afterwards.
    I'm gonna try flying it again - in the Franz Luftfahrt Paraglider.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Has anyone not realised this thread is from 2012 and sprang into life again today??

ATB
    DaveB
    Old or not, I think its cool stuff and am glad to see it active

When I was a teenager, I went to Outward Bound in Wales and we did a multi-day hike through part of this area. I was blown away at the number of aircraft screaming through the valleys....sometimes so close it seemed as if I could have reached out and touched them.

I never knew what it was called until now.

425th Alouette MAS and VMA214 MAV VA Squadron
    More informations here for those that are interested

http://oldafsarge.blogspot.ca/2014/0...mach-loop.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Map.jpg  
    Last edited by letourn; May 1st, 2016 at 18:01.

Maybe you should try looking back up the page several posts back. I posted the machloop flight plans.

Hi,

I'm pretty sure I posted this here, but can't find it anymore, sorry...

I made last year a mission in the machloop : you begin at RAF Valley and the loop begins in Barmouth. 30+ doors : the first is an entry, the second is the beginning of the chrono. Once a door is passed, the next ione is activated. After the first loop, a second one is possible.

That's very challenging in a jet, my personal record is 4'21" with the M2K, but was unable to make the secound round (fuel consumption...)

Here a picture, at the last door :

So, here's the archive with two versions : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...314/copier.zip

You must copy them in the "mission" file of your fsx. The mission "machloop" is with the M2K. The "machloop aircreation" begins with the ULM. Don't forget to check the "enable changes in selected mission", and you can replace it with your preferred plane and also change the date. I made it with Hawk and F15 and it's pure pleasure...

Hope you'll enjoy !

I agree awstub,

No harm surely in re-invigorating peoples interest in an old subject!

It benefits our newer flight simmers, who may not be aware of the previous posts.

It's rekindled my interest in the Mach loop; off to give it a thrashing in something or other!

ChipShop

Quote Originally Posted by awstub View Post
    Old or not, I think its cool stuff and am glad to see it active

When I was a teenager, I went to Outward Bound in Wales and we did a multi-day hike through part of this area. I was blown away at the number of aircraft screaming through the valleys....sometimes so close it seemed as if I could have reached out and touched them.

I never knew what it was called until now.

'Up the Valleys'

Westland Apache Longbow AH-64D, XJ186; based at Dishforth, 9th Army Air Corps.
    Leaves RAF Valley, for the 'Mach Loop'.
    ChipShop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-5-2_10-16-24-677.jpg   2016-5-2_10-59-16-800.jpg   2016-5-2_11-5-23-281.jpg   2016-5-2_11-11-34-434.jpg  

Chip, you better get a bit lower or you might get run over by one of the 'fast movers' !