Red Tails...The Tuskegee Airmen Training Scenery

Thread: Red Tails...The Tuskegee Airmen Training Scenery

Red Tails...The Tuskegee Airmen Training Scenery

I'm going to watch Red Tails tonight at my local movie theatre.

A little over a year ago I did a significant amount of research on the Tuskegee Airmen and I am excited to see if the movie captures my awe and respect for those folks that fought a war within a war 65 or so years ago. I was impressed enough to attempt my own tribute by building the training fields that the airmen used as a scenery for FSX. I found blueprints for the 700 and 800 series cantonment buildings,tracked down the only standing original Tuskegee AAF hangar (it's not at Sharpe Field any more), and researched Moton field until I felt I'd been stationed there.

The Scenery has Tuskegee AAF (Sharpe Field) and the Cantonment area where most of the folks lived, Moton Field where primary flight training was done, and Shorter and Griel fields which were auxilary fields.

Moton used PT-13/17's for primary training. Sharpe Field used BT-13's the venerable Vultee Valiant. There were a few other training assets at time went on at Sharpe. In the pictures I've seen, you can see P-40's, P-47's and a smattering of others. There are enough period aircraft around for FSX that you could stand up a training squadron quite easily.

So this is a re-release of the scenery to coincide with the Red Tails movie. The link: http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=151470

Enjoy!

Jim

Merci Beaucoup Jim,

Just finished downloading your file.

Going to see that movie is also on my "to do" list and I cannot help but wonder how it will compare to the original "Tuskegee Airmen" movie which was pretty good as I recall...

Cheers, ...

Fleurdelys

Members who have read this thread: 0