CFS1 will not respond to joystick...

Thread: CFS1 will not respond to joystick...

CFS1 will not respond to joystick...

Occasionally I get the itch to go back, blow the dust off CFS1 and T-Bone with some FW-190s, but CFS1 will no longer respond to the joystick. I go to Settings, and along the way I get as many as three Dialog Boxes saying "Your ( )device has changed from (gibberish) to (gibberish). Would you like to reset the control assignments? (recommended)" (See attached) I always say 'yes'.

When I get into Settings and arrive at the graphic that allows me to test the axes of control, the little dialog boxes know that I'm using a Thrustmaster Flightstick-X (no other choices appear) and the graphic responds nicely to Pitch, Yaw and rudder Rotation. The Hat Switch also responds. All systems seem to be working. But when I go to Free Flight and try to take off, the joystick is dead. However; the up\down\sideways arrows work. How can I disable the arrows & enable the joystick?

Just after posting, I found, and followed, SOH links dealing with my problem. I arrived at 'JOYSTICK PROBLEM' started by Bjartmar, Nov 22,2009. Five pages long, it was exploration into .cfg files and ended at an extended dialog between SOH staffer "smilo" and "killer svend". By the end, Svends problem with the joystick was solved, but I am unclear as to what, exactly, the solution was. Smilo indicated that a clear, step-by-step account (tutorial) would be done detailing the steps. Was this ever done? Is there a "Knowledge Base" or Sticky for CFS1, joysticks and Vista? Thanks.

SOH Staff
    hello Hauksbee, welcome back.
    here's a little tidbit i found by a fellow named Panther.
    apparently, he has vista and the same issue.
    after giving up and uninstalling cfs,
    he gave it another try a few days later;

"Walked a way for a week and came back again and decided to reinstall with the disk.
    When it started installing it gave me the option of running the program in XP compatibility mode.
    Click yes.
    WooHooo! I now have a working joystick in Vista just by making it compatible with XP. How easy was that?!!"

one more thing that is very important,
    NEVER click YES
    "Dialog Boxes saying "Your ( )device has changed from (gibberish) to (gibberish). Would you like to reset the control assignments? (recommended)"

i hope this works for you.
    please come back and let us know.
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.