FDG P-61 Revisited

Thread: FDG P-61 Revisited

FDG P-61 Revisited

A new model version of the FDG P-61 is in the upload que.

Features....

A scasm edited version of the rescaled FDG model by Captain Tenneal (The Virtual Navy). The model is multi-res and has Wolfi's U.S. Pilot figure scasm edited into the model, but has no breaking parts. The prop textures are by Kelticheart.

This CFS2 P-61 is based on a P-61A-1 (42-5506) of the 419th Night Fighter Squadron based on Guadalcanal and is credited with flying the first P-61 combat sortie in the Pacific Theater of Operations on May 12, 1944.

Cheers,
    O
    :ernae:

Thanks Oglive!
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Reply...

Good morning,

Oglivie, this is awesome work, thank you so very much!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Icon5

You're welcome!

As no doubt already noticed I modded the wheels a bit different also from the old part III/IV FDG P-61s. An item I missed for the earlier CFS2 P-61s is a wheel cover on the nose wheel. From photos it appears that the nose wheel cover was only on the right side of the wheel, and the left side remained uncovered (spoked rim). This cover was eventually discarded on later P-61 versions and I don't know what its functional purpose was. Maybe aerodymanics and maybe some text about it is in my literature somewheres, I'll do some text searching. Also the earlier (Part IV CFS2 P-61) main wheels I textured were actually from A P-61C photo (duh), which showed a solid (actually slotted) rim on the brake side and a spoked rim on the opposite side, which is unlike the P-61A/B photos that show a solid wheel rim for both sides of the wheel.

Cheers,
    O

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano

Keep 'em coming....

More improvements on FDG's P-61? YEAH, anytime!

Thank you very much Oglivie for keeping this old beauty updated. Dogfighting an He219 in a P-61, updated by your last effort before this one, over the night skies of 1945 Germany gave me a while ago some of the strongest emotions I ever got with CFS2.

What awesome engine power, firepower and incredible agility for a warbird of this size!

Cheers!
    KH :ernae:
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Icon5

Hello Kelti,

I'm glad to read you enjoy the ole FDG P-61 aircraft. It makes the work, although fun and challenging, much more worth while. Thanks for your kind and memorable comments...and for the neat prop textures also!

I do have some more in the works...most notably I think is the P-61 flown by Maj. Carrol C. Smith who is the highest scoring U.S. nightfighter ace of WWII. He and his R/O scored four Japanese aircraft confirmed in just one night combat sortie! I'd like to do a CFS2 Mission for that one to include. If Rami would like to tweak another mission (Hint, PTO though), I'll send the beta mission to him. But this is a ways to go yet.

In the mean time I have the Gnoopey B-29 project about half-way done. I think (as with the FDG P-61) it will turn out well worth the (scasm) effort.

Cheers,
    O
    :ernae:

Maj. C. Smith's P-61A-10, named "Times A Waistin" [to get back to Los Angeles U.S.A. - as depicted in another picture I have of the aircraft's nose art]