Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Wow! I had never heard of this software before .... Gonna give it a go tonight. Cheers Nigel ! Mike

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Z View Post
    Good to see this as a sticky, and I would hope it migrates into the Tweaks and Tips Subforum when done here.
    I would suggest that this programme is a fairly painless way to get into AI, especially if you previously glazed over at the thought of Traffic Tools.
    But remember each item you put into a flightplan is required, be it in a text file or in "remote control" software like Nigel describes here.

And if you want to get a little further into AI, you will need to get into the text files to have an understanding of how the traffic will work.
    "Remote control" will take you 90% of the way, which may or may not be enough for you...
    I also have an aversion to "manually" editing stuff, and so I have generated a spreadsheet which takes all the pain out of the repetitive stuff.
    It is still a "source" thing though, as I prefer to see the data. (There are spreadsheet solutions which are "remote control" too.)
    I may post a 3-step of that in due course...

Nigel, please forgive me for chipping in to your thread above, I was playing with these new 787's and was delighted to see them show up as planned!

EDIT: Oh, and FS does do VFR!
    It's fun to watch VFR planes gloomily sit on the apron, when it rains.
    Also, you can get creative with touch and go circuits, depending on whether they are VFR or IFR.
    Thanks Wing Zulu, beautiful pics my friend.

Now you've got me learning too! I read that bit about IFR/VFR traffic a few years back in a zillion-page-long 'expert' guide to TTools or something.

Glad to hear its not true...took the guide for face value, and never bothered to try.

I admire and respect hand-editing WZ, its the only way I would ever work on sounds. A case of what works best and familiarity I suppose.

I don't have that ease with traffic, and don't have the time to attain it.

So I need a versatile tool, that will allow me to do everything in traffic, and tell me when I'm messing up!
    AI Flight Planner does that!

And I remember in my bad old days of TTools, when, through my editing mistakes, I was sitting around on airports, ranting and raving like a mad dog...or Englishman, furious because the bally 08:45 bus to Biggin was late...or didn't show up at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy208 View Post
    Wow! I had never heard of this software before .... Gonna give it a go tonight. Cheers Nigel ! Mike
    Go for it Flyboy!

And make me proud as punch of yer, with some nice progress pics when you have time.

Ps: You'll be able to use those awesome MAIW planes for some smooth traffic of your own now!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Blog Entries

Don Grovestine - Thankyou Sir!

This should have been the first sentence in the whole tutorial!

So I sincerely hope the author of this wonderful program will forgive me for this major oversight.

And thankyou Don Grovestine, for that other amazing piece of magic;

Static Aircraft .mdl Maker...or SAMM as we have all come to know it!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Now that I am getting over the newness, I shall try to get more realistic. But I can't help posting two more as the Dash 7 looks great in FedEx clothes, and Oleboy's photo real scheme on the 156 is awesome!.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Now that I am getting over the newness, I shall try to get more realistic. But I can't help posting two more as the Dash 7 looks great in FedEx clothes, and Oleboy's photo real scheme on the 156 is awesome!.
    Yep! You done hooked now Milton... I can just see the skies filled with your great creations. I'm not sure which key it is on the keyboard but, you can mash it and just take a look at all the AI traffic in your vicinty. I am confident that somebody reading this post will tell both of us what that key is.

Romeo-Delta

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rdaniell View Post
    ...I'm not sure which key it is on the keyboard but, you can mash it and just take a look at all the AI traffic in your vicinty. I am confident that somebody reading this post will tell both of us what that key is.
    RD, Ctrl-W in spot view will cycle the views... but if you have 100+ of the beasties in the air, it's worth installing Traffic Toolbox from the FS2004 SDK.
    This allows realtime viewing and tinkering with AI in the sim.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    ...I remember in my bad old days of TTools, when, through my editing mistakes, I was sitting around on airports, ranting and raving like a mad dog...or Englishman, furious because the bally 08:45 bus to Biggin was late...or didn't show up at all!
    AI is absorbing, frustrating, and ultimately rewarding... one mark to you, Nigel, for engendering some interest in this stuff.

Another bit of software you cannot do without: Peter van der Veen's ACA2005v1.6
    Once you have gotten over the initial amazement of actually getting the bus to depart, this programme will tell you every single thing you need to know about the fleet, including the conductor's name!
    I claim 149 ways to screw up AI traffic, and this will find all of them.
    You can even go to a specific airport, and get arrivals and departure information, so you know when to go to the bus stop .

Blog Entries
    RD, Ctrl-W in spot view will cycle the views... but if you have 100+ of the beasties in the air, it's worth installing Traffic Toolbox from the FS2004 SDK.
    This allows realtime viewing and tinkering with AI in the sim.

AI is absorbing, frustrating, and ultimately rewarding... one mark to you, Nigel, for engendering some interest in this stuff.

Another bit of software you cannot do without: Peter van der Veen's ACA2005v1.6
    Once you have gotten over the initial amazement of actually getting the bus to depart, this programme will tell you every single thing you need to know about the fleet, including the conductor's name!
    I claim 149 ways to screw up AI traffic, and this will find all of them.
    You can even go to a specific airport, and get arrivals and departure information, so you know when to go to the bus stop .
    Handy sounding bus there Wing, thanks!

Uum...Wing...you're preaching to the converted: Romeo-Delta's a hand editor as yourself, the rest of us?....

We're using TTools too! It's placed ready installed inside ai Flight Planner ...jump right in, the water's fine buddy!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Charter Member 2011
    Hang on... I was talking about Traffic Toolbox, not Traffic Tools!
    It's in the SDK, and you run it while the sim is live...

Blog Entries
    Hang on... I was talking about Traffic Toolbox, not Traffic Tools!
    It's in the SDK, and you run it while the sim is live...
    Thanks for correcting me Wing.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

THANKS!!

Nigel,
    I would like to say THANK YOU for this tutorial. :ernae::ernae:
    It taught me two things:
    1-it is actually possible for me to get AI in my virtual skies-you have no idea how often I tried and failed at this before.
    2-I need more memory for my laptop--a lot more (frames drop to about 5fps when in sight of the Airhead Super Deke I set up as AI). I currently have only two gigs RAM-Theoretically it can go to four. Definitely looking into that.

Nigel,

Great tutorial.

Strangely, I just found it, because I've been spending the last few days just finally loading some of the GiGs of AI stuff I've downloaded. I've been using AIFP for a while now, and it is an absolutely great tool. OBIO needs to find this thread, if he hasn't yet.

One thing, if, like me, you have a lot of add-on scenery installed, (or even a small amount,) be sure and do the Airport search/update, in order to get ALL your airports into the list. If, like me, you have a lot, it WILL take some time, and is a TWO-step step.

And, for those who don't like aircraft without VC's, but like AI, go ahead and download those non VC aircraft, and use them as AI. If you don't have to many at a time, they work great. Not as well as true AI aircraft, but they look better!

Keep going Nigel, this is great.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Drzook View Post
    Nigel,
    I would like to say THANK YOU for this tutorial. :ernae::ernae:
    It taught me two things:
    1-it is actually possible for me to get AI in my virtual skies-you have no idea how often I tried and failed at this before.
    2-I need more memory for my laptop--a lot more (frames drop to about 5fps when in sight of the Airhead Super Deke I set up as AI). I currently have only two gigs RAM-Theoretically it can go to four. Definitely looking into that.
    DZ, when loading those beautiful full up aircraft as AI, make separate folder for the one you want to use, and in the texture folder, remove all the textures for the VC. This will greatly decrease the texture load. Also, if you know how, reduce those 32 bit textures to DXT3. Helps greatly on low memory units. Also, don't forget to rename the TITLE of that aircraft to include "AI" in the aircraft.cfg, so you don't have duplicate titles. (I make totally separate aircraft folders for the ones I want to use as AI, also resetting the aircraft type to type"2" in the airfile, so they don't show up in my flyable list.)

!Just sending a little help your way, Nigel.)
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Charter Member 2011
    Yes you can lose the panel and sound folders too, anything that doesn't contribute to the external model.

Is there a way to assign aircraft to a specific parking spot in fsx or do I need another program for that?

Thank you for this tutorial Nigel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillgjCook View Post
    Is there a way to assign aircraft to a specific parking spot in fsx or do I need another program for that?

Thank you for this tutorial Nigel.
    Thankyou Sir for the encouraging words - the more people able to set up traffic in their sim, the more worthwhile the simple tutorial.

I have no experience making traffic files for fsx, but imagine it must be fundamently simple.

For fs9, it simply meant using AFCAD: by openning: tools/Aircraft editor and assigning a Parking Code for a specific aircraft.

Then, assign a specific Parking code to a Parking spot on the airport AFCAD in question.

You will be using ADEX to do the same...I'm a bit rusty there, so will come back to you on this.

Anyone who knows the steps, please feel free to jump in.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Blog Entries
    Oops!!!! Drzook, modelr:

I thank both of you Gentlemen for such kind and encouraging comments, and see I owe a good many beers too!

I didn't realize till today, that this tutorial was still around! :salute:

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Thankyou Sir for the encouraging words - the more people able to set up traffic in their sim, the more worthwhile the simple tutorial.

I have no experience making traffic files for fsx, but imagine it must be fundamently simple.

For fs9, it simply meant using AFCAD: by openning: tools/Aircraft editor and assigning a Parking Code for a specific aircraft.

Then, assign a specific Parking code to a Parking spot on the airport AFCAD in question.

You will be using ADEX to do the same...I'm a bit rusty there, so will come back to you on this.

Anyone who knows the steps, please feel free to jump in.
    Thank You Nigel, I was thinking that was it but I was notsure I have been working on a airport that has CDF aircraft at one end of therunway and would like to make them park at that end, will do some experimentingand see what happens.

Blog Entries

Fast work!

BillgjCook; sounds like you're getting things nicely squared away there.

If you get the show running the way required, we'd love to see some pics too.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Blog Entries

Amsterdam - Sydney (via Singapore)

Quote Originally Posted by ryanspringer2294
    hi there, i have just been reading your tutorial about how to use AI Flight planner and was hoping you could help me. I am trying to create a KLM flight from Amsterdam to Sydney via SIN, but when i try to add another leg, the leg from SIN ends up like this: Deaprts - WSSS; Arrives - WSSS. What should I do?
    Hi ryanspringer2294,

My apologies for answering your PM question via the thread, but I think the screenshots may be of some value in sorting out the issue.

I've just put a flightplan together to see whats happening.
    No problems as far as I see (except overlooking vfr - ifr lol).

Attachment 73994Attachment 73993

This is for a daily flight.

First leg we have a 737 departing EHAM at 00:10 - WSSS (eta 12:35) Alt 300

Second leg: from WSSS departing 12:55 - YSSY (ETA 20:30) alt290.

Check out the screenshots for details - if you still have issues, send me a screenshot of what's happening.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Nigel

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Anyway to get the attachment to appear? Thanks.

lets continue;

so you're in the 'create new aircraft list' dialog box. Good.
    1. select your fs version or both.

2. Press the 'scan folders' box and direct 'AI Flight Planner' to your fs main 'aircraft' folder.
    It may take a few moments loading all your aircraft, but you should eventially see a list of all your aircraft as here.

3. For simplicity, press the 'use all' button; I'm telling you to do this because you might want to choose a different aircraft
    halfway through your flightplan. That's nearly what you're ready to do!

Look in the righthand corner of the 'AI Flight Planner' main screen;
    you'll see you now have a #.

Yes? That's good!

scroll down the list (yeah! your mouth's already watering)...

Choose a fairly reliable aircraft to begin with;
    I chose the Avia 156 (I'm trafficking in my sound testing sim)
    Go for something fairly 'normal' for now. (you'll probably give it the chase, if you're doing traffic for the first time)