Seagate Momentus Hybrid Drive

Thread: Seagate Momentus Hybrid Drive

Seagate Momentus Hybrid Drive

I have just ordered a new system and have this as the main drive a 500GB Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Drive, question is would this be any good for FSX?

I know nothing of the SSD hard drives but I can say that a few years ago they were having a terrible amount of problems with their Seagate Momentus SATA drives.

So much that I had two fail in under two months.

That gave me a bad taste in my mouth and caused me to coin this phrase....

Seagate Momentus that's about as long as they last.

Good luck myself I stay with Western Digital.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Yeah, I'm no expert but I'd imagine SSD drives would speed loading and probably help general smoothness, I've been considering the same idea. I agree with dangerousdave, my experience with Seagate hardware has been less than stellar - two failed ( mechanical) Hdd's in less than 12 months. Although SSD's dont have moving parts, maybe Seagate will have better luck with those?

LPXO

An SSD is a definite performance boost.
    I run an OCZ Agility 3 240G drive for my FSX installation and a second one for my OS.
    Anything else [Various FS9 installations, Race Sims] run on a pair of 600G WD Raptors.
    Next year I'll step up to a pair of OCZ Vertex 3 48oG drives, as the price is dropping and the performance is almost as good as their Overdrive 3 X2 480G drives without the A$2100.00 price tag.
    To be honest, anything with 'Hybrid' in the name raises red flags.
    As an aside, it appears that mechanical hard drives are in relatively short supply due to the recent floods in Thailand, once shelf stock sells out there will be a delay in supply.
    I believe this will only be for some six months or so.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

The Seagate Hybrid still contains a conventional platter hard drive. For my likes, I'd go with a true SSD. SSD's are faster, but you also have to have a motherboard, CPU and RAM that can take advantage of the higher data transfer rates of a SSD.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

And cost a whole lot more.

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by noddy View Post
    SSD's are coming down in price,though. Check out the likes of www.Overclockers.co.uk (they've a reduced VAT sale with free shipping at the moment), www.Scan.co.uk , or my personal favourites... http://www.hardwareversand.de and www.Amazon.co.uk

Conventional HDD's suffered a massive increase in price following the recent floods in Thailand (apparently 75%+ of worldwide HDD manufacture comes from this region) so it'd be wise to hold out for a while until prices stabilise before making a purchase of a conventional HDD. SSD drive manufacture was not affected,however.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by noddy View Post
    Well, it is all relative mate.
    Performance, be it a car or a computer costs $$$$$, to use a well worn phrase, "How fast do you want to go?"
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,