A Lockheed "Rounder" - Page 9
Page 9 of 112 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171959109 ... LastLast

Thread: A Lockheed "Rounder"

Moses, those are pretty accurate looking with maybe one exception, that being the distance between the door front edge and the trailing edge of the flap.
    The vstabs look a little bottom heavy, but at least the elevator's trailing edge seems to be where it is supposed to be, at the leading edge of the rudder trim tab.
    The wing root leading edge splits the pilot's window correctly, and the wing's trailing edge along with flap is nearly straight as it should be.
    The wing tips look closer to pictures than some 3-views.

Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

The more 3views you have the harder it will be to decide which is the best one. Most of the times even in a 3view of one source it happens that the seizes don't match, e.g the wingspan and length in each view is different.
    To add to the confusion or clear some differences here are two more views one from a PV1 Ventura and one from a PV2 Harpoon, source Squadron publication PV1 Ventura in action.
    I reduced the picture size for conviniance but if necessary i can do a 300dpi or better scan,also from the previous 3d views, they came from a book about the Lockheed Twins.

and a picture showing the DOOR

Wim

Attachment 65079Attachment 65080Attachment 65081Attachment 65083

Thanks Wim; the more the merrier. :-) It is not uncommon to have these issues and we invest a lot of time sorting through 3-views and comparing to pictures. In the end we produce the best we can using a variety of sources. That's partly why the modeling process takes so long; lots of give and take, research and changes to get the basics correct before moving forward.

The attached shows current status but with much more to do in tweaking and shoving to get things looking correct.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Mercy! Sweet!

I see another Netherlands Navy aircraft coming up. August-December 1951 the Dutch received from the US Navy under MDAP 18 PV2 Harpoons for patrol and ASW duties. They served with 320 squadron. In February 1953 the Harpoons proved very valuable when a large part of the southwest of the Netherlands (particularly Zeeland and Zuid-Holland) was flooded. In 1953-1954 they were replaced by 12 P2V-5 Neptunes. The Harpoons moved to Portugal.

Cheers,
    Maarten

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    That's partly why the modeling process takes so long.....
    He writes as he put's forth after a "few" days of work what most of us could only dream to put together in a few month

Once again I am amazed at just what you can make appear out of thin air. I am still working on my first full aircraft in Gmax....and at this rate I might be retired by the time it is finally done.
    Thanks again Milton for what looks to be another great addition to my virtual hangar.

Cheers
    Stefan

Ha! Well, a lot of the work was done in December and I just picked it back up a week ago. A lot to do yet on the exterior model just getting the basics in place and it is essential to get this "looking right" before moving forward. This is the phase of the project that is the hardest to get right but also is the most gratifying for me. Being creative is most rewarding and knowing that others will enjoy the outcome is icing on the cake. When others join to build the remaining elements of the project, then the fun expands when seeing their creativity kick in. I encourage anyone who has the time and interest to exercise their creative side.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Ha! Well, a lot of the work was done in December and I just picked it back up a week ago. A lot to do yet on the exterior model just getting the basics in place and it is essential to get this "looking right" before moving forward. This is the phase of the project that is the hardest to get right but also is the most gratifying for me. Being creative is most rewarding and knowing that others will enjoy the outcome is icing on the cake. When others join to build the remaining elements of the project, then the fun expands when seeing their creativity kick in. I encourage anyone who has the time and interest to exercise their creative side.

After seeing your work and others, and wanting to personalize some of your aircraft (TFF Aviation), started my quest on painting. I've always loved bare metal aircraft, so that was my main focus to reproduce aluminum. Well, not all are aluminum... some are painted orange. John did such awesome work on the A-26. I decided started my first quest on textures of the cockpit. It's more to my personal taste, so it's not accurate, just little worn. Anyways, thanks for some awesome aircraft to play with and looking forward to tinker with your latest project! -TF

p.s. Your aircraft seems to get into a lot of my videos!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

You are welcome TuFun :-)

Another area of challenge here is the wings.

Note from these three 3-views the differences in the wing trailing edge, wing tip, engines, and flaps.

I am wanting to get the wing tip chord accurate and the wing tip shape.
    Usually at this point, I go looking at pictures to discern the truth.
    However, top down pictures are few and far between. :-)

Any help resolving the wing tip shape and chord size issue will be appreciated.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Okay, I think I can get close from these 3 shots although I do not have a good measurement of the tip chord.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Concerning the wingtips, it looks like the 2nd one in the 3-views looks to be much closer to the photo shots of the wingtips. Here's a shot of Taigh Ramey's PV2D. See the starboard wingtip, it curves a bit, but the port tip looks a little straight, probably due to the dihedral angle of the port wing facing the camera. Notice it curves a bit to the rear.
    Attachment 65267
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    Concerning the wingtips, it looks like the 2nd one in the 3-views looks to be much closer to the photo shots of the wingtips. Here's a shot of Taigh Ramey's PV2D. See the starboard wingtip, it curves a bit, but the port tip looks a little straight, probably due to the dihedral angle of the port wing facing the camera. Notice it curves a bit to the rear.
    Attachment 65267
    I agree mrogers; that's the one I have used to pattern the wing tips. Thanks.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH-CM-2024
    Hply Moly! I just don't get in often any more. That is just terrific Milton. A Ventura from a master. The PV-1 never got the recognition she deserved, she served the US Navy in every capacity save that of strategic bomber. After Doolittle's raid, the second airplane to bomb the Japanese mainland was a PV-1. The gunship version could literally cut a destroyer-sized ship in two, forget it if you were a surfaced sub. Thanks Milton, I am looking forward to this.

Caz

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    Hply Moly! I just don't get in often any more. That is just terrific Milton. A Ventura from a master. The PV-1 never got the recognition she deserved, she served the US Navy in every capacity save that of strategic bomber. After Doolittle's raid, the second airplane to bomb the Japanese mainland was a PV-1. The gunship version could literally cut a destroyer-sized ship in two, forget it if you were a surfaced sub. Thanks Milton, I am looking forward to this.

Caz
    Yes, I should have done the PV-1 I suppose but instead am working the Harpoon and Lodestar.

The PV-1 is different in practically every way from a modeling standpoint so I have not committed to that just yet. We shall see how the Harpoon C and D models go and then the Lodestar. Afterwards, if I have the enthusiasm left, I will consider the PV-1.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Exterior modeling continues with cutting in door and windows, observation dome and turret size and shapes, and still wrestling to get the htail shape just right.

After a while, you just have to fly the circuit to shake off the cobwebs. Sweet!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Lovely stuff! Thank you, sir.

Pat

Exterior modeling continues with cutting in door and windows, observation dome and turret size and shapes, and still wrestling to get the htail shape just right.

After a while, you just have to fly the circuit to shake off the cobwebs. Sweet!
    I think I've run short of superlatives!!!

Cheers,
    Maarten

LOL Not looking for kudos; just trying to keep those interested in the loop regarding proogress. Thanks.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

LOL Not looking for kudos; just trying to keep those interested in the loop regarding proogress. Thanks.
    And thank you for that Milton.Always a pleasure seeing a new plane come to life.

Joel

Blog Entries
    Very fine modeling Milton. A great looking ship.

looks very nice..!! thanks for the "details" and the updates..!!

rgds
    t creed

No idea how to post photos here, but as I was looking for period cockpit photos, I came across a couple of walkarounds, one for the RB-34 and one for the PV-2. The former has one cockpit photo, the latter has a great profile of the fin/rudder. Not sure if I'm even allowed to post links to the websites?

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by patful View Post
    No idea how to post photos here, but as I was looking for period cockpit photos, I came across a couple of walkarounds, one for the RB-34 and one for the PV-2. The former has one cockpit photo, the latter has a great profile of the fin/rudder. Not sure if I'm even allowed to post links to the websites?

Pat

Thank you Pat for teh research.

To post a photo while posting a message, click the "Go Advanced" button and a window will pop up.
    Select "Upload Files" and you will get a "Browse" button with a + sign near it. If you click the + sign, you will get additional Browse buttoms, up to 4.

Select Browse and then browse to wherever your photos are and select it.
    Do the same for each browse button.
    When done, select Upload and give it a few seconds to you see the photos thumbnails appear at the bottom.
    Click Done and return to finish the message.

To post a link, select the icon above with a "world and chain link". Then paste or type the link in the box.

That's it.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 83