A Lockheed "Rounder" - Page 65
Page 65 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1555575859606162636465666768697071727375 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 2790

Thread: A Lockheed "Rounder"

Quote Originally Posted by lemonadedrinker View Post
    Milton,
    Great news about the cigars
    These are wonderful aircraft and tweaking a few bits makes them a bit more interesting for the truly unskilled, such as myself.
    I notice that in the sim (had I troubled to look),there are assignments shown for pitot and engine anti-ice, but would they work anyway? I shall ascend to 24000ft and see what happens.
    Thanks,

andy.
    Yes, of course. Switches just make activation easier. Any of the key assignments available would work unless the aircraft.cfg deactivates them.

I am using the upper left part of the aux electrical panel on the left wall to add master, electrical, generator, pitot, and deice switches.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Hi,
    At 20,000 ft everything seemed to work, except the radios froze up for some reason!

Andy.

Awesome...awesome...awesome...awesome !!

And your plane is nice too Milton

Ha ha ! Seriously....this is a must have. What a great model and gorgeous textures.

Thanks for the effort Gents.

Cheers,
    Jaap

That's a fine looking office there, mrogers...

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Thank you guys for the comments, much appreciated! Of course I'll keep on with it, thanks Milton!

Edit: Milton, could you please send me the templates for the overhead panels that mark the positions of the switches?
    Last edited by mrogers; June 19th, 2015 at 00:12.
    Mark

Work in progress or not, I've been having a blast flying the Lodestar! Looking forward to all the updates and paints to come, but for now I'm really enjoying this bird.

Thanks Milton and everyone else who's names escape me. Flight Sim is great because dedicated folks like you guys (and gals, too) make it so. So, a HUGE "tip of the tattered fedora" to each and everyone!

Bob
    CPU: Intel i7-5960X OC 4.5
    MOBO: Asus X99 Deluxe
    RAM: 16GB (4x4) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2800
    GPU: Asus STRIX GeForce GTX980
    PSU: SeaSonic X850
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (FS9)
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB (FSX)
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    HDD: WD 7200 Black 1TB
    CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo (white)
    CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

Members +
    Can anyone advise on the differences between the members of this Lockheed family?
    Lodestar, Harpoon, Ventura, Hudson? Have I missed any? Howard as well? Or is the Howard a civvie conversion?

Many thanks,
    Robin

I found this:
    http://www.uswarplanes.net/lockheedtwin.html
    & http://www.burbanksbest.com/

that explains all.

The "Lockheed Twins" were built to the same basic solid design that had had improvements to it over the years they were produced. Howard Aero got their start by doing executive conversions to them. Mostly from Venturas. But when it became time build the Howard 500, Dee Howard went down a slightly different path. Instead of converting an existing aircraft, he bought the jigs from Lockheed (they weren't using them by this time anyway), built an all new lengthened fuselage strengthened for cabin pressurization and an all new wing center section with wet tanks. He added the R-2800 engine used in the DC-6, stuck custom 4 blade props (F4U Corsair hubs with cutdown Constellation blades), modified Ventura outer wings and Harpoon landing gear. And the legend was born.

I guess you can tell I'm a fan of the Lockheed Twins...
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    Thank you guys for the comments, much appreciated! Of course I'll keep on with it, thanks Milton!

Edit: Milton, could you please send me the templates for the overhead panels that mark the positions of the switches?
    Maybe this will help if you drop it in a layer.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Can anyone advise on the differences between the members of this Lockheed family?
    Lodestar, Harpoon, Ventura, Hudson? Have I missed any? Howard as well? Or is the Howard a civvie conversion?

Many thanks,
    Robin

I found this:
    http://www.uswarplanes.net/lockheedtwin.html
    & http://www.burbanksbest.com/

that explains all.
    Here is a different view:

In 1939, the company Lockheed Aircraft Corporation has decided to expand their family fast twin-engined airliners new aircraft with a larger capacity. This was because of the competitive struggle with the company Douglas , who successfully sold and the United States and abroad their planes Douglas DC-3 (DST) . The new plane, named the Lockheed L-18 "Lodestar" , applied a lot of design elements from the previous construction of the Lockheed L-14 "Super Electra" , including almost completely wing. In contrast, the hull was new, longer and higher, fit 15-18 passengers in further versions of their number increased to 26 Wishing to meet the requirements of potential customers, has developed a number of different engine version Pratt & Whitney ( L-18-07 , L-18-08 , L-18-10 , L-18-14 ) and Wright ( L-18-40 , L-18-50 , L-18-56 ) with a power of 490 HP to 650 HP. Three prototypes "Lodestar" arose as a result of the reconstruction serial aircraft Lockheed L-14H . The first of these was flown on 09/21/1939, the first production aircraft took to the air on 02/02/1940

Operation of the L-18 was launched in March 1940, however, the U.S. aircraft has not won widespread popularity, most of the lines operated slower but more capacious aircraft DC-3 . Only 43 aircraft (including improved versions of the L-118 and L-218 ) was able to sell different airlines, most acquired the Pan Am-12 exam further 96 aircraft were sold abroad, including 38 in the UK and 29 for South Africa. Were also used in Brazil, Canada, France, the Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia), Norway and Venezuela.
    In May 1941, the USAAF purchased one plane L-18-20 (under the designation C-56 ), and three L-18-14 (as a C-57 ), followed by a further 10 copies of the C-57 . They were ordinary passenger aircraft that served to transport staff officers. When the U.S. joined World War II, was purchased for the purpose of military aviation aviation certain number of aircraft L-18 "Lodestar" different versions. In the years 1941-1943 developed into large-lot production aircraft to transport aviation. Versions built for the USAAC:

- C-56 - driven motors Wright R-1820 with a capacity of 760 hp, built 1 copy,
    - C-56A , C-56B , C-56C , C-56D , C-56E - powered versions Pratt & Whitney R-1690. Built 25 copies,
    - C-57A - driven engines Pratt & Whitney R-1830. Built 1 copy,
    - C-57B - driven engines Pratt & Whitney R-1830. Built seven copies,
    - C-57C - a variant of the C-60A powered by Pratt & Whitney R-1830-51. Built 3 copies,
    - C-57D - a variant of the C-57A powered by Pratt & Whitney R-1830-92. Built 1 copy,
    - C-59 ( "Lodestar" Mk ) - version powered by Pratt & Whitney R-1690 "Hornet". Built 10 copies,
    - C-60 ( "Lodestar" Mk.II ) - powered motors Wright R-1820-87. 36 impressed L-18-56 aircraft,
    - C-60A - driven engines Wright R-1820-87 (not Pratt & Whitney R-1830 "Twin Wasp"). Built 324 (not 125) copies
    - XC-60B - a variant of the C-60A with an experimental system przeciwoblodzeniowym. Built 1 copy,
    - C-60C - design of transport aircraft designed to transport 21 soldiers, was not realized,
    - C-66 - driven motors Wright R-1820-87. 1 aircraft were built for the Air Force handed over Brazil.
    Versions built for the U.S. Navy:
    - XR5O-1 - fueled engines Wright R-1820-40 895 kW. Built 1 copy,
    - R5O-1 - fueled engines Wright R -1820-97 895 kW. Built 3 copies, one was transferred to the United States Coast Guard
    - R5O-2 - driven engines Pratt & Whitney R-1690-25 Power 634 kW. Built 1 copy,
    - R5O-3 - driven engines Pratt & Whitney R-1830-34A 895 kW. Initially, it was a VIP transport aircraft for 4 passengers. Built 4 copies,
    - R5O-4 - driven motors Wright R-1820-40 895 kW. He is a staff transport aircraft for 7 passengers. Built 12 copies,
    - R5O-5 - driven motors Wright R-1820-40 895 kW. Similar to R5O-4 but with seating for 14 passengers. Built 14 copies,
    - R5O-6 - marking 35 aircraft C-60A-5-LO have been provided by the USAAC to the U.S. Navy (U.S. Marine Corps), to carry an 18 soldiers.

In the years 1941-1943 developed into large-lot production aircraft to transport aviation. For the USAAF built 10 copies of the C-59 , 30 copies of the C-60 (of which 15 passed the UK) and 325 copies of the C-60A . They croaked simplified equipment cabin and reinforced floor. Aircraft were unarmed versions of the C-60 and C-60A cabin windows were holes to keep the fire from small arms landing. Approx 100 copies delivered to the U.S. Navy aviation. A total of 625 aircraft were built from the family of the Lockheed L-18 "Lodestar" .Transport aircraft family Lockheed L-18 "Lodestar" were used in military aviation: Australia, Brazil, the Dutch East Indies, Canada, New Zealand, Norway, South Africa, USA, UK.

Based on the Lockheed L-18 "Lodestar" was built maritime patrol aircraft Lockheed "Ventura" .

After World War II transport aircraft were withdrawn from military aviation and sold to civilian customers. They were used by airlines in Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, Portugal and the UK.

In Poland during World War II, the Polish pilots ferry from N ° 1 ADU/ME- English Detachment Takoradi way back (Cairo-Takoradi) when the aircraft is done in groups, among others, on board civil aircraft L-18-07/08 Lockheed "Lodestar" British overseas line BOAC (British Overseas Airways Corporation). Polish airmen often led these machines, flying in the composition of the crews of BOAC.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Here's a good read as well ...
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi,

So, Milton, is the idea to do one of each version?

Andy.

A few subtle changes to get closer to something I can use as a starting point for some paints I have in mind. This is in FSX SE, but whatever I do there'll also be FS9 versions.

For now, this predominantly Nigel's bare metal with some tweaking by me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flight 19-2015-jun-19-001.jpg   Flight 19-2015-jun-19-002.jpg   Flight 19-2015-jun-19-003.jpg  

Hi,

So, Milton, is the idea to do one of each version?

Andy.
    LOL What we have in the line-up are:

Lodestars: C-57, C-60A, and L-18 Civilian
    Ventura: PV-1
    Harpoon: PV-2C and PV-2D, plus a civil and tanker version
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi,

It's a beautiful model and looking forward to whichever are run off the line!

Andy.

My internet service was down for about 24 hours, so it was either paint or rot my mind watching tv.

Still very much a work in progress, but slowly getting there. There was a similar paint for the JBK DC-4 that I liked, so I figured I'd try my hand at it. Had a bit of problem lining up some of the striping between the fuselage texture files, but they're matching up now about as good as I think I'll get them. No alpha layers yet as I'm still touching up here and there on the fuselage and the wings & engine cowlings haven't been started on yet. The tail surfaces are pretty much done with the striping. Just some lettering and maybe a Lockheed logo there.

This is the kind of painting I like to do. Not trying to make a FS copy of an actual aircraft, so it's not like I have to worry about accuracy, just make it look good. I expect this will end up being the new Flight 19 Air Cargo 'Poon. Not sure where I'll end up with it as I get new ideas while working on it and a lot times, I'll think of a new way to get an effect in the paint and try that out.

Still thinking I might need to do one in Santa Fe Airways livery to match the C-46 I did. And if I do that, I know there'll be some others.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flight 19-2015-jun-20-004.jpg   Flight 19-2015-jun-20-005.jpg   Flight 19-2015-jun-20-006.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    My internet service was down for about 24 hours, so it was either paint or rot my mind watching tv.

Still very much a work in progress, but slowly getting there. There was a similar paint for the JBK DC-4 that I liked, so I figured I'd try my hand at it. Had a bit of problem lining up some of the striping between the fuselage texture files, but they're matching up now about as good as I think I'll get them. No alpha layers yet as I'm still touching up here and there on the fuselage and the wings & engine cowlings haven't been started on yet. The tail surfaces are pretty much done with the striping. Just some lettering and maybe a Lockheed logo there.

This is the kind of painting I like to do. Not trying to make a FS copy of an actual aircraft, so it's not like I have to worry about accuracy, just make it look good. I expect this will end up being the new Flight 19 Air Cargo 'Poon. Not sure where I'll end up with it as I get new ideas while working on it and a lot times, I'll think of a new way to get an effect in the paint and try that out.

Still thinking I might need to do one in Santa Fe Airways livery to match the C-46 I did. And if I do that, I know there'll be some others.
    That is looking great Willy; keep after it ... or cut your internet cable for a few days. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Nice paint, Willy... Definitely an early 50's flair, all she needs now is "Merc Air" across the side of the fuselage and the Merc Air logo on the nose just under the cockpit glass.

BB686

Thanks Milton, for the templates.

Willy, nice scheme for the PV-2! I was going to say that the nose gun holes needed fairing over, but now that you've painted the nose they're not obvious anymore.
    Mark

Really like the look of that paint Willy. Are you going to upload here?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Well, I think I have finally gotten all the Harpoon panel gauges, switches, warning lights, etc in place and ready for testing.

Now to see what if anything I have overlooked in the cockpit that is meaningful enough to add, aside from panel textures and text in all the right places. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Man, that office looks good 'nuf for me. Looking forward to having a go with it. Very nicely laid out.

BB686

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Well, I think I have finally gotten all the Harpoon panel gauges, switches, warning lights, etc in place and ready for testing.

Now to see what if anything I have overlooked in the cockpit that is meaningful enough to add, aside from panel textures and text in all the right places. :-)
    That looks awesome, Milton! I'm looking forward to take my seat behind the panel and fly away!

Cheers,
    Maarten

Hi,
    At 20,000 ft everything seemed to work, except the radios froze up for some reason!

Andy.
    Andy, I tried to make the radios fail above FL200 but could not. Have you had more issues like that?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Civilian Harpoon Updates

For anyone who downloaded the Civilian Harpoon version pv2cwip.zip recently released, here are some updates:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/download...v2cwipupdt.zip

These updates are NOT compatible with any other WIP Harpoon I have released due to model and panel changes.

The updates are replacements for the Model and Panel folders, 2 texture updates, and the aircraft.cfg.

If you have made changes to your aircraft.cfg, protect them with a backup or rename before replacing.

These changes will be propagated to the other military models this weekend but that requires some time.

The changes are mainly to the VC with added electrical panel switches, added warning gauges, additional panel display areas and gauges, corrected knob colors on the ECU, corrected animations, etc.

Still much to do with panel textures and text on all the panel surfaces, but it fills most of the gauge voids.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 82