A Lockheed "Rounder" - Page 5
Page 5 of 112 FirstFirst 123456789101112131555105 ... LastLast

Thread: A Lockheed "Rounder"

I would throw in my support for a Tanker variant but i wouldnt mind seeing any of the options above. Looking good Uncle Milton!
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

The aircraft looks like it's coming along nicely. I actually like option 1 and 2.

T.

Just to be clear, I like all the options.

I will do the fully equipped option.
    Variants will be limited by options that require major body changes and separate texture mappings.
    Those are tough to manage and frustrating to painters and me, as any subsequent changes require changing and remapping multiple models. It's just not productive or mentally healthy for me.

A great example of that is the Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer project where I built 7 variants. Almost all of the major body panels (fuse, wings, tails, and interiors) are different and required unique mapping for the variants. When changes or enhancements had to be made, I ended up having to make those changes across most of the variants and remapping them. The process is very susceptible to errors and oversights.

Okay, last night I worked on the belly windows with some success, after two restarts. :-)

Today I shall get started on the turret and observation or navigator window.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Beautiful job Milton. This is just wonderful to see.

I like options #4 & 5. The fully equipped version with and without stores loaded.

Since we already have the awsome Howard 500 and the Lodestar in the wings the civil Harpoon seems a little superfluous, just my two cents.

The turret and observation dome are the next challenges.

Here I have borrowed the AT-11 Sperry designed turret as a starting point.
    It looks about the right size comparing to pictures but the 3-view has it way small. ( I think the 3-view is wrong).

So, I wrote to request dimensions from Taigh Ramey so we can get it close to the real world Martin 230CE-13 model used in the Harpoon.

I know the shape is a bit off but I am awaiting size dimensions before reshaping.

Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH-CM-2020
    I droooool every time I see new screenshots of this classic Lockheed.

I'd be happy with the clean version because mine will end up hauling freight.

Looking forward to the day this gets released.

Pete.

Thanks Pete, et al.

Okay, while waiting for specs on the turret, I got the bomb bay doors cut in and animated. These are interesting to see in operation.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by pfflyers View Post
    I like options #4 & 5. The fully equipped version with and without stores loaded.

Since we already have the awsome Howard 500 and the Lodestar in the wings the civil Harpoon seems a little superfluous, just my two cents.
    My two pence as well.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I received proper dimensions and drawings of the turret so now in process of converting it from a Sperry AT-11 training design to a Martin 250CE-13 combat use unit; still very much a WIP.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

He!He!He! He mumbles under his breath as he rubs his palms together!
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

^ what he said plus "MUHAHAHAHAAA!"

can't wait for this one Milton, i'll be sure to pull in front of traffic so the gunners can get some practice...

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Great work there Milton. If you want someone to see if they can break it in FSX I will put my hand up to try to do it for you.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Great work there Milton. If you want someone to see if they can break it in FSX I will put my hand up to try to do it for you.
    I appreciate that. When the time is ripe, you got it.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks Milton ...... Hope the Ventura is on the list as well. While I like both the Harpoon and Lodestar which the RAAF operated they also operated the Ventura. And of course being an Aussie I like aircraft that can carry the VH-*** or the A**-*** serials.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

You and your team never cease to amaze me, Milton... I have never seen anyone make such amazing, spectacular models.. in such a short amount of time. You're going to force me to build another hangar, once the Harpoon, the XP-47J and the "Grumman Five" are released.

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Thanks Milton ...... Hope the Ventura is on the list as well. While I like both the Harpoon and Lodestar which the RAAF operated they also operated the Ventura. And of course being an Aussie I like aircraft that can carry the VH-*** or the A**-*** serials.
    Thanks AM; I understand your thinking. As I mentioned before, the Ventura is a very different aircraft body than the Lodestar and Harpoon and would pretty much require a redo of the fuselage, windscreen area, wings, flaps, nacelles, and gear; essentially a whole new model so no promises on that one or any of the earlier relatives. My intent is to try to get out a Harpoon and Lodestar, maybe a civvie 18. We'll see where it all goes once I get the XP47J out the door (after the Grumman "Five" and Avia 51 and 156).

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    You and your team never cease to amaze me, Milton... I have never seen anyone make such amazing, spectacular models.. in such a short amount of time. You're going to force me to build another hangar, once the Harpoon, the XP-47J and the "Grumman Five" are released.

BB686:USA-flag:
    Thanks BB. If the FS9 forum participants were not actively involved, all I could do is a model. It really is everyone of the other contributors who make it come to fruition. The thing we really lack here is a panel gauge designer and this will one day bring our work to a halt. For example, the Avia 51 and 156 are about ready for beta, but we have no panels or gauges. I am trying to cobble together a basic panel for each (bought FS Panel Studio after hand placing 50 gauges on 3 panels) but this is not my forté.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton, I had FS Panel Studio which I use for modifying panels for aircraft I have in FSX. Unfortunately I have never tried to create a gauge from scratch as when I am modifying a panel I use gauges from my 'Gauges' folder which is a mix of defauly, freeware and payware gauges.

VC gauges are a different story as a lot of the time they cannot be changed.

Maybe if I had the appropriate panel bitmaps and a map of the location of the gauges then maybe I could knock up a 2-D panel for you. May even get daring and try to code them into a VC as well.

Cheers
    Pat

Milton, I had FS Panel Studio which I use for modifying panels for aircraft I have in FSX. Unfortunately I have never tried to create a gauge from scratch as when I am modifying a panel I use gauges from my 'Gauges' folder which is a mix of defauly, freeware and payware gauges.

VC gauges are a different story as a lot of the time they cannot be changed.

Maybe if I had the appropriate panel bitmaps and a map of the location of the gauges then maybe I could knock up a 2-D panel for you. May even get daring and try to code them into a VC as well.
    Ha! You sound like me stumbling along in the wilderness too.

I am planning to ask Scott Thomas to do these Harpoon and Lodestar panels but he is busy on the Grumman series right now.

I have put the Harpoon project "On Hold" for now until I get the panels done for the Avia 156 and Avia 51.
    I have too many things poppin' right now and it is a good time to get cozy with FS Panel Studio I received yesterday.
    I have a basic panel in place now for the 156, both 2D and VC panels plus views so I am getting the hang of it. :-)

I appreciate your offer but may as well wait on the Lockheed project to see how things evolve.

Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

You're welcome Milton. I am also willing to try and break the Avia and the tracker in FSX if you are game .

Cheers
    Pat

Not Long Now ...

As soon as we get the Avia projects out the door, I will be back on the Harpoon.

Meanwhile, I would like to see some really nice period pictures of the Harpoon, and especially period pics of the interior and cockpit. Can we find some good resource website or picture collection to help get this project as authentic as possible.

I appreciate your help and look forward to getting back on this.

After some encouragement from others, I am also seriously considering the Ventura as well so feel free to embellish our resource data collection from that side too.

Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Sweet! I'll be making some room in my hangar for the Harpoon and for the PV1 Ventura as well! The Ventura was a hot ship compared to the Harpoon actually.
    Mark

This is going to be great. Hope there is still a plan for at least one civil version, in particular the Lodestar.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Members who have read this thread: 83