Rafale C for FS2004 - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rafale C for FS2004

The one thing that never ceases to amaze me about this sort of thing is that the company, (Dassault), wants a "royalty payment" on "freeware". As if the folks at "rafalevpa" were planning to make huge amounts of money with the creation of their "virtual" Rafale aircraft. Even if it were being offered as a payware product... we're not talking about "bundles of fivers" here.

Reckon there are just some things in life I will never understand.

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

The problem comes from the use of the name Dassault
    This is company name copyrighted
    It would be better to them to use another name fo the freeware .. such as
    The unmarketable plane

BTW ... LOL
    http://www.dassault-aviation.com/fr/...imulation.html

Quote Originally Posted by Navtech View Post
    Oops! LOL

Has anyone heard anything more about this?

They are still talking to Dassault Aviation, or waiting for replies. The problem is that they asked, and that they asked about a week before the original expected release rather than a couple of months before. So while they are now pretty much ready to go they still have to deal with Dassault. In the meantime they are continuing to refine it and are working on the B model.
    :ernae:

Thanks for the update, Frank.

I think there would be a way to resolve this issue by simply listing the "ui manufacturer" as RAFALEVPA, instead of Dassault. May not be that easy tho... like you say, they have already asked for permission.

BB688:USA-flag:

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Thanks for the update, Frank.

I think there would be a way to resolve this issue by simply listing the "ui manufacturer" as RAFALEVPA, instead of Dassault. May not be that easy tho... like you say, they have already asked for permission.

BB688:USA-flag:
    I agree. Roland should have done the same with his FSX version. It was also suggested, and sometime I've done for others before, that they rename it and distribute it via my website since that is "out of the country" to them. Always an option as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure it will all get sorted out eventually. In the meantime we still have some updates to Gator's version to punch holes in the sky with.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    They are still talking to Dassault Aviation, or waiting for replies. The problem is that they asked, and that they asked about a week before the original expected release rather than a couple of months before. So while they are now pretty much ready to go they still have to deal with Dassault. In the meantime they are continuing to refine it and are working on the B model.
    Well on the bright side, they are putting the time to use <sigh>. How can you ask for royalties for something being given away? Again I say, lawyers...

The one thing that never ceases to amaze me about this sort of thing is that the company, (Dassault), wants a "royalty payment" on "freeware". As if the folks at "rafalevpa" were planning to make huge amounts of money with the creation of their "virtual" Rafale aircraft. Even if it were being offered as a payware product... we're not talking about "bundles of fivers" here.

Reckon there are just some things in life I will never understand.

Indeed... ... Very strange publicity for Dassault...

Latest word, as of last night, from VPA is that their Rafale C will be released by the
    end of the month if not this weekend. They've been working on the aircraft while
    waiting for the Dassault Aviation issue to be resolved so some additional testing is
    planned for the next few days. But then it should be ready to go. Yea!

Very pleased to hear that they will finally get the satisfaction of seeing their efforts
    enjoyed by others. Selfishly we also get a new Rafale for FS2004.

EXCELLENT NEWS!!! Glad they were able to get things worked out. Thanks for the update, Frank. :salute:

I had just given up hope on this sure that Dassault had killed it with its stupid give us money position. Great news!

Latest word, as of last night, from VPA is that their Rafale C will be released by the
    end of the month if not this weekend. They've been working on the aircraft while
    waiting for the Dassault Aviation issue to be resolved so some additional testing is
    planned for the next few days. But then it should be ready to go. Yea!

Very pleased to hear that they will finally get the satisfaction of seeing their efforts
    enjoyed by others. Selfishly we also get a new Rafale for FS2004.

Unfortunately Frank this is not what I read this morning on the VPA team french forum.
    The news are not good at all.
    Dassault Aviation have even closed on their website their "Passionate Corners" webpage
    presenting other Dassault aircraft available for FS9 and FSX.

There is a big chance this Rafale project for FS9 will be a non released private venture.

Too bad !

VaporZ

VaporZ is right !
    Dassault will never give the green light until they paid a equivalent money of thousands Euros (it's what I read on their forum)
    They should send a letter requesting support of president Sarkozy has .. it will work .. because the French are at election time ROFL
    Dassault is ridiculous .. and now I understand that if they have the same marketing policy for their real plane .. they are not yet ready for sell one to any air force ...
    Anyways it's seem's they will release it .. Dassault permission or not !

As if I haven't made enough comments on this thread... It would be a shame if RAFALEVPA, having spent great lengths of time, "buckets of sweat and pints of blood" putting the Rafale package together, not to be able to release it (as freeware mind you), because, for whatever reason Dassault does not understand the meaning of "freeware". If I were "Dassault", I would look at this as an asset to possible contracts for the real deal, as well as taking pride in the interest shown in their product by virtual pilots.... that's just me. I wonder if the model had been a Mirage 2000, or other Mirage aircraft, what would have happened?
    Yes, I would like to have the Rafale, but that's not the point. This kind of thing discourages talented developers and modelers away from the flight simming hobby IMO. Like myself, and others in this community have said... just call it something else. Problem solved.

In the mean time, Gator's excellent Rafale will be the mainstay for my virtual flight simming missions... irregardless of what the outcome might be in this case. And if the new Rafale is released, I will gladly fly that one too. :salute:

As mentioned by Blackbird686, simply change the ui_manufacturer= line. I suggest ui_manufacturer=Money Grubbing Pocket Pickers
    Matt

Well . I guess a lot can change in a couple days. We were just emailing about it yesterday.

And WhyTF did DA take down the flightsim page from their Passions section? Being listed on there was one of my 'claims to fame'. Well, at least I can still see it on the Internet wayback machine.

This is really not good news. I hope they don't decide to go after websites that include their name. Might be time for some "find and replace" work on my website. What was that new name you suggested aeronca1?

I hate to say it but I think they hosed themselves in this case by doing things the "right" way. Another site on the internet still has the Rafale prominently featured as a free download. Will not mention the site or the file to avoid Dassault reprisals. - .

@ aeronca1 - pocket picking usually involves subtlety. In my opinion, robbers or something more violent is more appropriate.

I wonder if the model had been a Mirage 2000, or other Mirage aircraft, what would have happened?
    If I was a cynic...... wait, I am a cynic!!

I think part of the problem here is Mirage (in it's various incarnations) was a runaway success, including plenty of export orders. Rafale, while undoubtedly a fine aircraft & definitely better looking than Typhoon, has been a commercial disaster; they have one final chance with the Indian order (if it ever happens) & all the smart money os on Typhoon for that one as well. So it is kind of an embarrassment for them.
    Andy

i've figured the ui_manufacturer= line.......

D-Ass-Hole (Sounds like the correct pronunciation of Dassault which is, and i'm sure the french speakers will agree here... Dass-oh/Dass-O)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    i've figured the ui_manufacturer= line.......D-Ass-Hole (Sounds like the correct pronunciation of Dassault which is, and i'm sure the french speakers will agree here... Dass-oh/Dass-O)
    Well, hello Matt. I've been wondering where you've been. Check your p.ms.

Romeo-Delta

The situation is getting some traction outside the flightsim community. Emmanuel Dorne, aka "Korben", a well-known French blogger, has written about the situation in his blog. He even links to this thread as well as a popular Mirage related website (even borrowed an image of the aircraft in question). The title says it all, "Red Card for DA". If your French is rusty you can translate it in bits at "world.altavista.com" to get the jist -- pretty much what we've been saying here.

The situation is getting some traction outside the flightsim community. Emmanuel Dorne, aka "Korben", a well-known French blogger, has written about the situation in his blog. He even links to this thread as well as a popular Mirage related website (even borrowed an image of the aircraft in question). The title says it all, "Red Card for DA". If your French is rusty you can translate it in bits at "world.altavista.com" to get the jist -- pretty much what we've been saying here.

And there is 72 comments from french citizens below Korben's blob concerning this sitation.
    They are not veru pleased with Dassault Aviation bizarre attitude for a freeware !

Reading these comments, its seems that some Flightsimmers could have personnally wrote to Dassault to protest
    about it heir attitude and that one of them "could" have received this email answer from Dassault :

"Be informed that Dassault Aviation actually studying a solution which satisfies all these impassioned and which
    could answer your waitings. Good weekend".

If and only if this email is true and officially from Dassault, this could be a good news for the Rafala VPA Team.
    But this comment remains to be confirmed and it could be a false one.

Lets hope for the best !

Vaporz

We'll see.

There are other things about this that have not been made public. And while this may resolve things for VPA, what happens to Roland's Rafale for FSX? He has the Rafale B essentially finished but he can't release it or his original C/M. Razbam is saying they are going to make the entire Mirage F1 family this year (after the Harrier, after the A-4 series, ...). Restauravia has the Mirage III family already in the works. And ALS-SIM (Mark Harper) is rebuilding his Mirage package. Three of these mentioned are payware. VPA's first release at least is intended as freeware.

Will everyone making a Dassault related payware/freeware product (repaints, panels, sound files, etc.) have to jump through the same hoops including paying Dassault, and then see their product available the next day for free on the torrent sites?

OK, stepping off the soapbox.

We'll see. VPA's first release at least is intended as freeware.

Will everyone making a Dassault related payware/freeware product (repaints, panels, sound files, etc.) have to jump through the same hoops including paying Dassault, and then see their product available the next day for free on the torrent sites?

OK, stepping off the soapbox.
    I have stepped off mine, too. I only get frustrated when I think about it. I'm just going to keep an eye on this thread and hope for the best.