FSX ground textures in FS9?

Thread: FSX ground textures in FS9?

FSX ground textures in FS9?

Has anyone tried to bring the ground textures from FSX into FS9? Is it possible? I compared the names, and they seem to be the same.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I did that a while back, after finding that I can use the entire weather folder from FSX in FS9.
    I grouped the files by name and then copied them over into a test install of FS9 in small batches.
    Then restart the sim to see if it still worked...
    At some point it quit working, but I do not remember exactly where in the alphabet that was. I did also not see a huge difference in the way the sim looked, and over desert it was worse IMHO.

So I abandoned the project. Still would love to get FSX water into FS9 though.

Cheers
    Stefan

Charter Member 2011
    I went: Ooh should I post in response, or not?
    FSX textures are the biggest single reason I don't have FSX: they suck.
    Especially the water.
    Soon after the first Aahh when it loads, you realise the water looks just like that old shower door on the dump, with the cheap plastic pattern frosting.
    No scale, and also everywhere the same even the duck pond.

There are many, many wonderful textures available for FS9, why on earth would anyone want FSX CR@P??
    No-one seriously using FSX keeps them...

Last, they do not work in FS9 because they are twice the resolution that FS9 supports.
    Resizing them just makes them lo-res and CR@P, there is no point.

Can you see why I went Ooh should I...

LOL ... Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion. And for the most part I do agree...except for the water as I had mentioned in my first post. Not sure what system you looked at the water...but on mine it certainly looks worlds better any FS9 freeware water texture and nothing like a shower door. I do concede the issue with the lack of difference between ocean and small lake water texture.

Since I have a copy of FSX that I rarely use, and I like the water I decided to see what can be cobbled together. Having a spare copy of FS9 to experiment with makes that decision quite easy. If it don't work or messes it up....nothing lost.

The water will not work and definitely not as it does in FSX...and you can't get the wet runways or other neat little visual tricks.
    FSX is still rarely used in my FS flying, not so much because the PC can't run it as that the flight dynamics are a bit off and it feels a bit more gamey than FS9 to me.

Cheers
    Stefan

Charter Member 2011
    Strangely enough, AES does wet runways as a sideline, and quite nicely.
    Also bumpity bump if you are exactly on the runway centreline studs.
    FS9 always has something for you, if you go looking in the right place!

"Floatplane FSX123, ready to land...

Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Z View Post
    I went: Ooh should I post in response, or not?
    FSX textures are the biggest single reason I don't have FSX: they suck.
    Especially the water.
    Soon after the first Aahh when it loads, you realise the water looks just like that old shower door on the dump, with the cheap plastic pattern frosting.
    No scale, and also everywhere the same even the duck pond.

There are many, many wonderful textures available for FS9, why on earth would anyone want FSX CR@P??
    No-one seriously using FSX keeps them...
    Err... you know that the waves can be replaced right ?
    Are you still using the default wave textures in FS9 ? I don't believe so.
    Also, contrary to FS9, in FSX we can actually tweak completely the water reflections with the freeware FSWC.
    Don't confuse the waterclass textures with the waves textures, they are different things.

Why would anyone want the FSX cr@p ? I know why, just like many others

Charter Member 2011
    Yeah, yeah, this is not one of THOSE threads, OK?
    Just take it with a little salt...

Blog Entries
    Ooh, I can feel it on the rise! The temptation to get into an FSX vs. FS9 debate is sooo strong. Must resist. I have to admit, despite having FSX on my machine for over 6 months, and having flown the occasional test flight, I have my 9 looking so good, especially in the WX dept. that I just don't feel the urge to come over to X properly yet...

Steven Beeny, FS repainter and modeller.

New EE/BAC Canberra series for FS2004 starting October 2010. See www.flyingstations.com for details.
    Watch the new Canberra promo video here: http://youtu.be/m3rWTivCupg

Charter Member 2011
    Now you mention it Steve, there is a legitimate question lurking here:
    What to do when FS9 finally chokes and dies?

Make no mistake, FSX has had a lot of very good work done in the last five years, and even NZ is - finally - about to get a texture set that looks absolutely gorgeous.
    But FSX is a payware thing...I made a sum a while ago, and to switch (I say switch not upgrade) from my maxxed-out FS9.5 install to an equivalent FSX.5 with all the scenery, planes and extras in it, will cost 10 grand or more (this includes the i7 computer, I won't settle for a performance hit in the switch, either).
    10 grand, to get essentially what I have already? but a little crisper, I don't think so.
    So I glumly concluded that, at the end of FS9, I'd probably just quit the flightsim scene (after 20 years) and take up lawn bowling or something.

But there's the thing: every time my attention wanders, along comes something like Duxford to blow your socks off.
    And then there's these guys doing budget-level payware Canberras, SOH freeware megaprojects, and so on.
    Darn, I really should get out there and mow that lawn. Not.

Blog Entries
    Flipping priceless post there, Wing_Z. I know, it's the financial and dare I say, emotional, investment (call it hassle too if you will) to upgrade to X, and make it comparable that's put me off too. I like X, I think I will have to get over there properly if I want to keep doing this modelling thing eventually, but the die-hard FS9 crew on here is just too good to abandon. Plus I myself cannot make that leap yet! So maybe I'll see you on that bowling green one day...

Steven Beeny, FS repainter and modeller.

New EE/BAC Canberra series for FS2004 starting October 2010. See www.flyingstations.com for details.
    Watch the new Canberra promo video here: http://youtu.be/m3rWTivCupg

I like bowling :d

i'll join you on that bowling green too... or near it at least... look for the animated pile of leaves...

I like leaves. :d

Hey Matt,

you still having computer trouble? Just getting mine sorted out now (hopefully) so I know how you feel. If I'd have known you were in the UK just now I've got an old Pentium 4 rig (without DVD drive) sitting collecting dust that I could send to you to see you through until you get a new rig.

Jamie

i made an erm.... 'Raid' on a local Tip/Scrapyard for parts.... it's on par or maybe slightly worse than she used to be but i'm working on a website and a catalogue of repaints slowly.... revamping the AS Bucc textures, the AS Boston is currently in shed while Bucc dries and there's also Hawks and F-5's in the queue :salute:

Good to know your atleast running as fast as before. If theres any bits you need, holler, my wife nags me constantly over the old computer bits I keep, mice, keyboards, power supplies, everything, even got some memory cards from my old pentium I, I did manage to get rid of the x486 stuff before that.

Jamie

copy that buddy.... will holler instead of mounting tip/scrapyard recon and raids

Members who have read this thread: 1