Payware vs, Freeware.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Payware vs, Freeware.

Charter Member 09

Payware vs, Freeware.

"Perhaps us Freeware buffs should have a site on our own."

And who will set it up, fund it and maintain it HD?????????
    Just go with the SOH list.
    And a PS, please refrain from insulting people who support the commercial developers, choice is a wonderful option and it costs nothing to be polite.

Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...zYm1oVXc#gid=0

Go here. This is a list of all the freeware native FSX aircraft that can be remembered.

Walter

Thanks Walter:ernae:

You know Bob when we go to all the trouble of creating a definative list of all the FsX freeware aircraft available and take the trouble to keep it updated and permanently stickied...and then I read a post like yours above, I wonder why the heck we bother...but then I know why, because we are dedicated to the world of simming.
    At first I thought about kicking this thread to the dungeon but then I thought better of it and decided to leave it for all to read

Here's the thread... http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-aircraft-list
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

On Another Planet
    I am just curious as to how buying payware makes you have more money than brains?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rezabrya View Post
    I am just curious as to how buying payware makes you have more money than brains?
    If that was really true, what's to be said about payware developers... :X

:mixedsmi: :mixedsmi: :mixedsmi:

I'm glad people who want to buy better quality planes can do so. I'm glad people who want free planes can get free planes.

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    You know Bob when we go to all the trouble of creating a definative list of all the FsX freeware aircraft available and take the trouble to keep it updated and permanently stickied...and then I read a post like yours above, I wonder why the heck we bother...but then I know why, because we are dedicated to the world of simming.
    At first I thought about kicking this thread to the dungeon but then I thought better of it and decided to leave it for all to read
    think helldiver is talking bout summing different, and to be fair to helldiver he does kinda have a point. Its got nothing to do with stuff allready released, its when you come onto the forum one day, see a "*insert never done before favorite plane* is out!!!" thread, get all excited, then find it'll cost ya £25, tis kind of a downer. However i think 2 different forums for new freeware releases and payware releases isnt the right way to go, be easier to just *payware* or *freeware* in the thread title

If that was really true, what's to be said about payware developers... :X
    more brains than money?
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Quote Originally Posted by Rezabrya View Post
    Brains - or rather the proper use of them - usually come with AGE ......
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Charter Member 09
    You guys are missing my point. I'm not talking to whats benn released. I'm talking about NEW aircraft. You have no way of knowing if there free or you got to reach deep into your pocket. Francois, at 83, I've got all the brains I'll ever need. In fact I'm losing some.
    Roger, I could have figured that you'd find something in what I wrote to censor. You completely missed my point.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

Perhaps when a moderator stickies the post then, they could edit it with a title?

For example, "New bubble boy plane released!"

... would be:

"(Freeware) New bubble boy plane released!"

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Helldiver View Post
    Roger, I could have figured that you'd find something in what I wrote to censor. You completely missed my point.
    Nothing censored in your post by me Bob. I guess one of the moderators found the combative tone to be a step too far.
    The freeware FsX spreadsheet, which is updated on a regular basis will tell you if it's freeware or not. As to adding a freeware tag to a stickied post; that isn't difficult but invariably if the download address is SOH or Avsim, Simv, Flightsim etc. it will be freeware.
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

With all due respect to everyone,

When I read a thread like this one, I have to laugh! Flightsimming at SOH, the only place I know of where people can actually argue about nothing!

All very humorous. Thanks for the laugh.

Oh, oh, here comes the flak...better get my head down.

I guess one of the moderators found the combative tone to be a step too far.
    Fair enough. But I don't think it is the best manner to edit other people's posting without any notice.

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Having had nothing to do with editing posts I will attempt to get this back on track. :salute:

In his initial post Helldiver expressed a desire to have a separate area here for payware releases, or at least have a system to inform the reader as to whether a given release was freeware or payware.
    Would it be reasonable if the party that originally posts about a product be expected to clarify that point in his announcement?
    Regards,
    Robert

Seems reasonable to tag them some way, but then again, I am not an administrator or moderator of this site and would not presume to know how best to achieve that.

As a user of both payware and freeware, I appreciate what both provide and their respective shortcomings as well.

Personally, I presume items are payware until otherwise informed when it comes to aircraft models themselves. I assume re-paints are generally freeware, and that utilities are freeware. I can't say what has brought me to that point, it's just how my mind's working....
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

You guys are missing my point. I'm not talking to whats benn released. I'm talking about NEW aircraft. You have no way of knowing if there free or you got to reach deep into your pocket. Francois, at 83, I've got all the brains I'll ever need. In fact I'm losing some.
    Perhaps a freeware spellchecker might be a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinT46 View Post
    Perhaps a freeware spellchecker might be a good place to start.
    Uncalled for, and not something we tolerate. Nobody's perfect.
    Regards,
    Robert

Blog Entries
    I think the bottom line on this issue is that at the present time, there are no procedures in place to allow for distinguishing between freeware offerings or new payware offerings. Though its true that most payware is quite obviously just that, there remains some as Helldiver discovered, that hide the payware part somewhere at the bottom of the page.. Currently, moderators have little control over presentation. We see a new post regarding a new release and we sticky it, but declaring whether a plane is free or pay is responsibility of the original poster. Since the only projects we are directly involved with are our own, we cant know whether a particular plane is going to cost money or not. Therefore it would be though not impossible, certainly quite time consuming and tedious to set up a secondary area, or even send out letters to various groups to discover if their new plane fits either category. Add to that that most moderators here have real lives, real jobs, real families, our own products to finish, already spend several hours a day logged in here, and you begin to see how cumbersome and unwieldy this could be. We need to be able to trust that OP's will make clear the status of the aircraft they announce ( whether free or pay ) but that wont always happen. However, We moderators are here to help maintain a civil and respectable climate and not act as a police force of marketing and advertising. I'm sorry.. Thats just the way it has to be..
    Pam

The option of having separate freeware and payware forums have been discussed on previous. For practical reasons like where do you leave a freeware repaint for a payware model, or should we move all threads about a model when the publisher decides to make one of his model available as freeware. And because most of our members are interested in both payware as freeware we have decided many moons ago that the forums would stay linked to the flightsim.

I was fully supporting this decision when it was taken and as I haven't seen any recent development to change my opinion, I'm still fully behind that decision.

Cheers,
    Huub

BTW I would support a separate forum for WWII AXIS propeller driven aircraft......

Nothing censored in your post by me Bob. I guess one of the moderators found the combative tone to be a step too far.
    To set this straight it transpires that another admin meaning to "reply with quote" clicked "edit" and consequently Bob's post was edited with the admin's reply. For this we can only apologise.
    I will only actually edit a post if the contents are against the rules of the SOH and/or common decency.
    SYSTEM :

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    BTW I would support a separate forum for WWII AXIS propeller driven aircraft......
    Second that!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by N2056 View Post
    Would it be reasonable if the party that originally posts about a product be expected to clarify that point in his announcement?
    As I look for new and exciting places to visit in Hawai'i (once I win the Lotto!), I check out the listings on Yelp. One of the header items is $, $$, $$$ depending upon costs at the store/restaurant/bakery/etc. Maybe we could come up with a similar form of tagging threads. But I guess we would all start debating Dollars or Pounds or Euros... :mixedsmi:

Quote Originally Posted by peter12213 View Post
    Second that!
    Third that!

Ha ha,
    Huub was joking but how many more FsX forums do we want...there's already three
    SYSTEM :

Bottom line...

...we still love ya Helldiver!

Regards,

Kent

Apologies HD, I was a bit knackered {very long weekend!} and hit 'edit' instead of 'reply with quote'.
    No censorship intended, just a dumb slip of the finger.
    Mea Culpa.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 0