Payware vs, Freeware. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Payware vs, Freeware.

Quote Originally Posted by Helldiver View Post
    Francois, at 83, I've got all the brains I'll ever need. In fact I'm losing some.
    LOLOL !! In fact, I wasn't talking about YOUR brains, HD
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Currently, moderators have little control over presentation. We see a new post regarding a new release and we sticky it,
    That is not true at all. A recent CH-47 release barely got the time of day before the thread was hijacked and the product critiqued to the bottom of the second page. No sticky there. But you are right about products that mods are involved in getting a sticky right away.

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    ... Therefore it would be though not impossible, certainly quite time consuming and tedious to set up a secondary area,
    Such an area did exist about a year or so ago but then some developers felt they weren't getting enough free publicity so they asked to come back into the main area and that was the end of that.

Just observations.

And Mal998, I have to agree.
    :ernae:

On Another Planet
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    LOLOL !! In fact, I wasn't talking about YOUR brains, HD
    I sure hope you weren't talking about my brains then...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    That is not true at all. A recent CH-47 release barely got the time of day before the thread was hijacked and the product critiqued to the bottom of the second page. No sticky there. But you are right about products that mods are involved in getting a sticky right away.

Such an area did exist about a year or so ago but then some developers felt they weren't getting enough free publicity so they asked to come back into the main area and that was the end of that.

Just observations.

And Mal998, I have to agree.
    Apologies on that. Some things get missed like the ch-47. Its not intentional, and its one of the reasons we have two moderators in here, when other forums only have one. But still, it's sometimes not enough to cover the full workload. Its bnot that we cant do the job, but, like you, we sit in our homes doing this work. My office being my front room, lends itself to a gazillion interruptions and distractions each day, with people checking in on me, dogs barking cats needing food/petting/a lap to sleep in etc. It's also where i do my dev work, which suffers from the same interruptions. Sometimes things get missed.

I presented the idea of multiple forums to the staff. to be honest, the developers never came into play. Rather it was the fact that the forum would be splintered up into a massive number of seperate forums, and just become a huge confusing mess which didnt serve anyone any good..
    Pam

Charter Member 09
    In the Fifties, I was very active in Ham Radio. I built my own CW 30 Meter transmitter and rearraged a short wave radio to catch 28 MHz. We worked on quad antennas, built our own towers, worked on double side band suppressed carriers and then single side band, long before the Services adopted it. I set up a Hamfest on top of a resevoir in Danvers where we tried to contact the U.K. on 2 Meters. We would grind our own crystals to rework war surplus SCR 522 recievers. Every Ham would work and help each other.
    Then came the "Money Hams". They ruined ARRL. They had Collins 75-A4 recievers bought the best transmitters. added linear amps and brole the FCC 1KW law They bought the best Rohn towers and mounted the finest antennas money could buy. They would blast you right off your frequency. In short they ruined a great hobby.
    It's the same thing that's happening to FSX. When the profit motive goes in, out goes the joy of flying Flight Simulator. I'm sorry, but I applaud Tim Conrad and people like them. They have thr right idea.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

Interesting perspective Bob,
    I too am a licensed Radio Amateur (G8VLR) although FsX takes up most of my hobby time these days. My great love was scratch building or converting ex-pmr gear to work on amateur frequencies. I remember talking (mobile via a repeater) to another amateur who was an agent for a Radio Ham store and in our conversation after I had described my home-built gear he said "home brew is fine if you can't afford the real thing." My response was that I could afford his gear if all I wanted to do was talk...but for me the pleasure was all in making my own gear...and making it work right.
    However, I have a basic mobile phone, for emergencies, just phoning and texting...a £10 top up does me for a year, but this little gadget is a full duplex walkie-talkie that, via repeaters can link me to anywhere in the world. I couldn't build that in such a small space for love nor money!
    To build a virtual aircraft is also way beyond me. So I rely on on our devs to feed my need, be it freeware or payware, they are all deserving of our respect!
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Central reservation of the M62 in God's Own County.
    I don't see it as "freeware vs payware". All of us devs started in freeware it's where we cut our teeth. There's no room for "purists" in any hobby, it takes all sorts and without both freeware and payware devs this hobby would die very quickly. I fully intend producing payware for a long while yet. Mainly to keep Frank supplied with Pontefract Cakes.
    MickeyD

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
    Mainly to keep Frank supplied with Pontefract Cakes.
    Appreciate that. Now I just need to find a more reliable source.

Blog Entries
    Actually, I got my start on the payware side of the community, working with Iris Simulations. I've since moved to a sort of middle ground where i develop for both payware and freeware.. You'll always get the best i can do with what time i have to work with, but, frankly, for the payware planes i work on, your paying for everyone else. I stopped charging a long time ago ( I hate billing and business crap ), but, considering the current condition o0f my cabinets and refrigerator, I wouldnt mind a lil income if only for a burger or two..

Hey Roger,

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    So I rely on on our devs to feed my need, be it freeware or payware, they are all deserving of our respect!
    What happened to the initiative that was being run here a couple of years ago where contributors to the hobby were rewarded with a member plus status?

I always thought that was a great incentive to get people into the development game

Regards,
    Stratobat
    'If the literal sense makes good sense, seek no other sense lest you come up with nonsense'

Members +
    Hanger Talk!..Shooting the breeze,BLOVIATING..the opportunity to make an ass out ones self,and to be celebrated with a coke or a beer afterwards by friends...The Old Geezers,a step ahead of Uncle Al,who seen it all,and the traditional young Hot Shots who know it all...Great Americana!...A Hanger has Big Doors to Bug out when yer butt is getting kicked...On an forum like this ,all are incognito,anonymous,faceless,cyber entities...we take liberty's.!were we all Nose to nose,face to face we Probely, we would all bust out laughing at one another...but in every crowd ,some guy will get hot...its those we have to address..for by then the subject is mute...Me at now 80yrs old,seen this, ,and its entertainment for all...However Civility counts where ever one may be......This Subject here...:???..what are we really talking about??? Some one let us know!!..All Cackling like a Turkey looking at the axe,..Which reminds me..WISHING ALL A VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING...CHEERS!

Hi Beana,

Many many years ago, SOH rewarded members who had contributed to the community on a development level by instituting the original Members Plus category. A number of members received it and you could generally tell them apart from other members as their usernames appeared in italics and had 'Member +' under the username... Very much like you have now, except that back then it had a specific meaning.

Regards,
    Stratobat
    'If the literal sense makes good sense, seek no other sense lest you come up with nonsense'

Having read some of this thead, the burning question for me is :

Do vegetarians operate ham radios or something else?

Payware vs freeware... I don't understand why this should present a problem. I also don't see that payware ruins our hobby at all. Contrary, it raises the bar constantly in respect of quality and innovation. I don't think that FSX would present itself the way it does today without the work of some highly innovative developer companies. Look at what's been released just in the last 12 months and what is coming up.
    So it's not payware vs. freeware (unless we generate this situation), it's payware _and_ freeware, to me they are both welcomed equally.
    We also should not forget that some devs are quite willing to help out freeware developers with problems or share their knowledge, and freeware designers often help to promote payware products by producing freeware skins, addons or fixing problems for them. It's a give and take we all profit from. Unless we create an atmosphere of "versus".

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Having read some of this thead, the burning question for me is :

Do vegetarians operate ham radios or something else?

They operate a "single cell" phone.

As far as payware vs freeware, I think it is more often a case of payware vs payware, with some hiring the top developers away from other payware outfits.
    Mike Mann

Quote Originally Posted by mmann View Post
    They operate a "single cell" phone.

As far as payware vs freeware, I think it is more often a case of payware vs payware, with some hiring the top developers away from other payware outfits.
    Indeedy ...... :-(
    Umbria, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    Payware vs freeware... I don't understand why this should present a problem. I also don't see that payware ruins our hobby at all. Contrary, it raises the bar constantly in respect of quality and innovation. I don't think that FSX would present itself the way it does today without the work of some highly innovative developer companies. Look at what's been released just in the last 12 months and what is coming up.
    So it's not payware vs. freeware (unless we generate this situation), it's payware _and_ freeware, to me they are both welcomed equally.
    We also should not forget that some devs are quite willing to help out freeware developers with problems or share their knowledge, and freeware designers often help to promote payware products by producing freeware skins, addons or fixing problems for them. It's a give and take we all profit from. Unless we create an atmosphere of "versus".

Cheers,
    Mark

I think you are correct.
    Umbria, Italy

Well Happy Thanksgiving all...and I guess I will throw my 1 cent in here as well.Payware vs Freeware never came into my mind even before I started modeling.I bought the Payware I liked and was grateful for the freeware I could get. I believe that if we did not have any Payware developers for our wonderful hobby we would right now be flying an old and dead simulator we all loved. Its a shame many payware companies have ceased to exsist and less and less freeware is being built by new enthusiasts for either sim.Here at G.A.S. I have always insisted on building a few freeware aeroplanes as a reward for all our friends for being good,and to give back to the hobby and also to provide some new models for those who simply cannot afford to spend money on such silly things as our Hobby when money is needed for more important things in life. I hope our work will inspire others out there to seek and learn how to model aircraft or whatever for our hobby just as Bill Lyons as well as many others inspired us to learn and develope. Best to all Gil

Quote Originally Posted by greybeardgil View Post
    Payware vs Freeware never came into my mind even before I started modeling.I bought the Payware I liked and was grateful for the freeware I could get. Gil
    Absolutely the way I view this issue. I suspect that sums up the whole discussion for most folks. I also note that many freeware developers focus on things that most interest them...that may or may not be viable commercially. That's pretty neat, results in more depth overall. I also like that I can see an individual stamp on projects from freeware developers reflecting their own personalities or other interests.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all the virtual dog biscuits I have from Piglet.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Quote Originally Posted by greybeardgil View Post
    Well Happy Thanksgiving all...and I guess I will throw my 1 cent in here as well.Payware vs Freeware never came into my mind even before I started modeling.I bought the Payware I liked and was grateful for the freeware I could get. I believe that if we did not have any Payware developers for our wonderful hobby we would right now be flying an old and dead simulator we all loved. Its a shame many payware companies have ceased to exsist and less and less freeware is being built by new enthusiasts for either sim.Here at G.A.S. I have always insisted on building a few freeware aeroplanes as a reward for all our friends for being good,and to give back to the hobby and also to provide some new models for those who simply cannot afford to spend money on such silly things as our Hobby when money is needed for more important things in life. I hope our work will inspire others out there to seek and learn how to model aircraft or whatever for our hobby just as Bill Lyons as well as many others inspired us to learn and develope. Best to all Gil
    +1

most cogent reply yet........
    Visit my website www.scale-aviation.com

Well,
    I see somethings haven't changed in my abscence......
    :mixedsmi:

We try.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Members who have read this thread: 0