Thread: Introducing the Avia 51

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    ..... GIT TESTING!!! :violent:

Testing is so much fun in this classic beauty

Probably not doing it right ..... might need more whipping :violent:

Pete.

LOL Pete :-)

I have made corrections for all the issues except the gmax model related ones which I should have done by Wed Noon.

Once that is done, I will go through the list again to verify all is working for all the models, panels and liveries . If so by Thursday night, I will package up the B-B-B-iggy and upload to the SOH Library.

I will likely have a limited beta on the "other" component when it is ready.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteHam View Post
    Testing is so much fun in this classic beauty

Probably not doing it right ..... might need more whipping :violent:

Pete.

Some call this hard work ....

Here's a couple of series of screenies .....

http://www.vanisleva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13147

http://www.vanisleva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151

I'm lovin' this classic.

Pete.

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny9850 View Post
    LOL ... I am debating which engine I like the best every time I start them up. Currently #1 is my favorite closely followed by #3. The only way this part could possibly be better is if the sounds changed at random.... there is your next challenge Nigel

But seriously...it is a pleasure to test this baby...and a privilege.

Cheers
    Stefan
    Random ignition...Hmmm, now that's an idea!
    I'll give it a try.

FS does have the capabilty for certain sounds being played random such as 'tuochdown', if I can get this to work, the credit goes to you Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by PeteHam View Post
    Some call this hard work ....

Here's a couple of series of screenies .....

http://www.vanisleva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13147

http://www.vanisleva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151

I'm lovin' this classic.

Pete.
    Pete, those are AWESOME pics!
    You're a true aviator Sir - enjoying the flying, testing, trouble shooting, the works! :salute:
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

The feedback, input, and questions have been essential to getting the issues and concerns addressed.

Had a couple comments about pitch stability ... mine feels heavy but my sensitivities are at default as I recently installed new yoke and pedals, guess I did not change them. :-/

I will also say that Magoo has offered some very nice improvements to the flight model that I am testing now. If all goes well, his mods will be part of the next beta or release.

If I get all the model changes done Wednesday by noonish and everything tested, I will upload a new beta for you. Don't worry, I get started by 6AM. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    The feedback, input, and questions have been essential to getting the issues and concerns addressed.

Had a couple comments about pitch stability ... mine feels heavy but my sensitivities are at default as I recently installed new yoke and pedals, guess I did not change them. :-/

I will also say that Magoo has offered some very nice improvements to the flight model that I am testing now. If all goes well, his mods will be part of the next beta or release.

If I get all the model changes done Wednesday by noonish and everything tested, I will upload a new beta for you. Don't worry, I get started by 6AM. :-)
    PHEW!!! (BIGGGG sigh of relief) uploading new BETA.
    Thanks Sir! :salute:

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

This beauty is such a gentle flyer, I can't imagine how anyone could NOT be able to pilot this plane. I am throually enjoying running the '57 through her paces... Probably could be throwing more at her... but the real test will be operating from short unfinished airstrips in East Africa... I reckon.

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Probably could be throwing more at her...
    throw some lazy, dirty configuration barrel rolls at her for me :salute:

not long guys and i'll be back fully, just glossing the skirting boards in my 'office', then i can start wallpapering tomorrow, paint over the weekend (one wall is actually going Light Aircraft Grey! had to talk to an RAF Contact to secure me a tin of the stuff ), then finish this room (My old 'office' ) next week... all set for Mid December finish as projected! then it's back to my paint hangar...... woohoo! as the Geordies might say "Canny Wait Man!" can't wait to smell the paint and clear coat again!

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    Hey Magoo... I'd really like to know how you managed to get 160 MPH (IAS) out of the ol' gal whilst only running 2 engines... That must have been a real trick, or you were in a gentle descent at the time. I'd also been curious to see what the airspeed and engine RPM's were, let alone manifold pressure... with just one engine.

The engines & props have been historically downrated since the screenshots were taken. Still, I think for it's time....the Avia 57 would have been no slouch in it's class. It'd be easy to imagine it's creators endeavoring to raise the aircraft's sales potential by entering it into competitions like the MacRobertson Air Race (London-Melbourne). Running what was essentially liscence built Wright Cyclones, these were first generation mills at 575 hp each. Within a decade, these same engines would be cracking 1000 hp.

Had these aircraft gone into production, I'm certain there would have been a balance created between easily attainable (greater) power, and reasonable operating economy from a commercial costs point of view.

It's fascinating, looking into aviation history......to note for every aircraft design that made it to production and became notable, how many tried, almost made it, but for one reason or another, failed to cross the line.

Another powerful feature of the desk top flight simulator. The 'could have been" part of the simulations. Watch out in those virtual skies for Avro Arrows, TSR-2's....and a host of Avias....big and small.

Blog Entries
    This beauty is such a gentle flyer, I can't imagine how anyone could NOT be able to pilot this plane. I am throually enjoying running the '57 through her paces... Probably could be throwing more at her... but the real test will be operating from short unfinished airstrips in East Africa... I reckon.

BB686

Baaah!!!!

Bunch of ol'ladies gettin' ready for bed!

FLY!!! the dang thing!!!

....barrel roll from straight/level - entry ht: 750ft/ speed 155 - 160 kts
    (expecting an instruction manual??!!!)

Attachment 76635 Attachment 76636 Attachment 76637

Now....

GIT TESTING!!! :violent: ( :USA-flag: )

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    The engines & props have been historically downrated since the screenshots were taken. Still, I think for it's time....the Avia 57 would have been no slouch in it's class. It'd be easy to imagine it's creators endeavoring to raise the aircraft's sales potential by entering it into competitions like the MacRobertson Air Race (London-Melbourne). Running what was essentially liscence built Wright Cyclones, these were first generation mills at 575 hp each. Within a decade, these same engines would be cracking 1000 hp.

Had these aircraft gone into production, I'm certain there would have been a balance created between easily attainable (greater) power, and reasonable operating economy from a commercial costs point of view.

It's fascinating, looking into aviation history......to note for every aircraft design that made it to production and became notable, how many tried, almost made it, but for one reason or another, failed to cross the line.

Another powerful feature of the desk top flight simulator. The 'could have been" part of the simulations. Watch out in those virtual skies for Avro Arrows, TSR-2's....and a host of Avias....big and small.

Yes to all of those points!

Magoo, fascinating to read where your thoughts, suppositions and conclusions are taking us.

AWESOME Sir!!! :salute:

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Baaah!!!!

Bunch of ol'ladies gettin' ready for bed!

FLY!!! the dang thing!!!

....barrel roll from straight/level - entry ht: 750ft/ speed 155 - 160 kts
    (expecting an instruction manual??!!!)

Attachment 76635 Attachment 76636 Attachment 76637

Now....

GIT TESTING!!! :violent: ( :USA-flag: )
    And so, sir... you can explain having to clean up the fine mess in the passenger's cabin after pulling a little stunt like that... Geezz... save it for the XP-47J. As for me, I like having the wings staying attached to the fuselage on this particular model. (Engines warming up as we speak).
    Magoo, I really enjoyed reading your bit about the '57. I can envison this plane being fast (faster) and somewhat more nimble than what she is, but I won't be pulling any bally barrel rolls or cuban eights with a full lot of patrons in the passengers cabin. There's a considerable bit of cigar smoking going on back there...

Beta Testers - New FM to Test Here

Please focus on testing this new flight model.

Magoo has helped tremendously addressing most of the quirks of my FM.

After only a couple passes by Magoo, and a few more mods by me, I think she is ready for a workout for your observations.

Lots of changes and improvements so you need to check it out through all flight phases.

Key issues addressed were engine performance and responses to MAP changes, improved pitch, yaw, and roll characteristics, better load balancing and smoothing of responses, improved performance and latitude for pilot error.

You will notice pitch sensitivity and the graduated elevator response changes right away. Yaw and roll in coordinated turns and a heavier feel will be observed.

Caution on the brakes. :-)

These needed FM changes and testing has inhibited my model change work, but what's a few hours in the creation of a gem. :-)

EDIT: UPdated the FM to add a bit more flap and gear drag.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Downloaded the new FM and installed... Y'all are gonna like this! :salute:

Blog Entries
    ...what's a few hours in the creation of a gem. :-)
    And a fine gem it is.

Blog Entries
    FLY!!! the dang thing!!!
    I'm shakin it boss, I'm shakin it!

LOL Guys :-)

Still tweaking the FM, and making model changes for previously noted issues.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

In case of you testers don't like to RTM, there is technical performance data in the Doc folder called Avia 57 Tech Info. Of importance is the following:

Performance
    Maximum speed: 300 km/h (190 mph; 160 kn); 330km/h (205mph at 5000')
    Cruising speed: 270 km/h (178 mph; 150 kn)
    Range: 1,200 km (746 mi; 648 nmi)
    Service ceiling: 4,000 m (13,123 ft)

Special accessories:
    Battery, radio................85 kg

Weights:
    Weight of aircraft (with instruments, seats, wiring)......5600 kg
    Cargo............................................. ........................3000 kg
    Take-off weight............................................ ............8600 kg

Minimal performances:
    For standard air density CINA 1,225 kg/m3 and full load (CINA was precursor ICAO)
    Maximum speed near ground........................330 km/h (205 MPH)
    Cruise speed near ground.............................280 km/h (174 MPH)
    Initial climbing.......................................... .......6 m/s (1186 FPM)
    Maximum ceiling........................................560 0 m (18372')
    Operative ceiling.........................................50 00 m (16404')
    Operative ceiling with two engines................2000 m (6561)
    Flying range............................................. ..1200 km (745 miles)
    Climbing from 0 to 500 m...............................1' 8 min
    Climbing from 500 to 1000 m..........................2' 2 min
    Climbing from 1000 to 2000 m........................5' 2 min
    Gliding when two engines are stopped................1:25
    Take-off............................................... ........200 m (656')
    Landing........................................... ............200 m (656')
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    In case of you testers don't like to RTM, there is technical performance data in the Doc folder called Avia 57 Tech Info. Of importance is the following:

Performance
    Maximum speed: 300 km/h (190 mph; 160 kn); 330km/h (205mph at 5000')
    Cruising speed: 270 km/h (178 mph; 150 kn)
    Range: 1,200 km (746 mi; 648 nmi)
    Service ceiling: 4,000 m (13,123 ft)

Special accessories:
    Battery, radio................85 kg

Weights:
    Weight of aircraft (with instruments, seats, wiring)......5600 kg
    Cargo............................................. ........................3000 kg
    Take-off weight............................................ ............8600 kg

Minimal performances:
    For standard air density CINA 1,225 kg/m3 and full load (CINA was precursor ICAO)
    Maximum speed near ground........................330 km/h (205 MPH)
    Cruise speed near ground.............................280 km/h (174 MPH)
    Initial climbing.......................................... .......6 m/s (1186 FPM)
    Maximum ceiling........................................560 0 m (18372')
    Operative ceiling.........................................50 00 m (16404')
    Operative ceiling with two engines................2000 m (6561)
    Flying range............................................. ..1200 km (745 miles)
    Climbing from 0 to 500 m...............................1' 8 min
    Climbing from 500 to 1000 m..........................2' 2 min
    Climbing from 1000 to 2000 m........................5' 2 min
    Gliding when two engines are stopped................1:25
    Take-off............................................... ........200 m (656')
    Landing........................................... ............200 m (656')

As Magoo nicely phrased it: no slouch!

The fine STOL capabilities could be interpretted as comfortably operable (sans catapult/arrestor hook) on most WWII naval carriers.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Blog Entries
    There's a considerable bit of cigar smoking going on back there...
    ...that would be me back in 7R (love watching the entry animations). I enjoy a nice level flight as much as anyone, but
    an occasional loop, roll, or chandelle is perfectly acceptable...provided champagne is served of course. Let's continue...

Time Travelling Spies

'Ere, Mr. Shupe... You might want to watch out for time travellers taking notes in the darker corners of your hanger. Just spotted this pic that reminds me of your other tri-motor Avia.

Quote Originally Posted by nordmanni View Post
    'Ere, Mr. Schupe... You might want to watch out for time travellers taking notes in the darker corners of your hanger. Just spotted this pic that reminds me of your other tri-motor Avia.
    LOL How cool is that??!!! Thanks fo rsharing that pic.

It looks like a modified YC-125.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

My sincere apologies to Mr. Shupe and Mr. Richards but I think I've had an oopsie. Those new brakes are quite touchy aren't they, but in our defense the co-guilty was screaming something about cows on the runway. Looked more like deer to me but in the end no wildlife was harmed in spite of our best efforts to use them as padding. Damages to be taken from our pay I assume.

Members who have read this thread: 70