Introducing the Avia 51 - Page 2
Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 123456789101252 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Avia 51

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Thank you sir.Our biggest need right now is for information about the interior. We have no pictures or drawings of the interior layout or cockpit.A paint kit is not essential for this aircraft. The were only 3 units produced and they seemed to have the same paint scheme on bare metal.Thanks for your interest.
    Milton,please check your private email. No interior info just now, but searching...

Thanks for the comments. I just finished the exterior modeling so I hope to have it mapped for textures by the weekend (Local Community responsibilities the next 2 days).

I am curious if we have anyone here with a knowledge of Czech or Slovak (West Slavic language?) or that can texture these wonderful characters on the sides. Or, anyone interested that can replicate that and willing to do a paint kit.
    What do you need language-wise Milton; my own knowledge of Czech is a very limited (although I can flirt in it reasonably well) but I know people who are fluent & could possibly help?
    Andy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    but searching...
    Great photo Elephant, excellent details. Thanks for posting.

John

my Czech is very limited also, as is my Serbo-Croat, and Greek..... Russian..... French...... German..... Dutch all a touch rusty.... can still do English thankfully (well vaguely English)...

she's a real sweetheart Milton, a good looking girl she is... of course it's parents would advise keeping me at bay in all seriousness she has them art-deco lines that i just love, and with them 3 radials she'll sounds great too! great work on this obscure aircraft :salute:...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    my Czech is very limited also, as is my Serbo-Croat, and Greek..... Russian..... French...... German..... Dutch all a touch rusty.... can still do English thankfully (well vaguely English)...
    Matt, didn't you forget Gibberish?
    Or shall we leave that for Nigel....

Quote Originally Posted by stuartcox View Post
    Matt, didn't you forget Gibberish?
    Or shall we leave that for Nigel....
    ROFLMAO!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

oh yeah... i DID forget gibberish....

i'd better tell his daughter to not let him online unless he learns to speak right

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG43 View Post
    What do you need language-wise Milton; my own knowledge of Czech is a very limited (although I can flirt in it reasonably well) but I know people who are fluent & could possibly help?
    My thinking is if someone spoke the language, they would also have access to the fonts, type, or graphics that show on the side of this aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    Great photo Elephant, excellent details. Thanks for posting.

John

she's a real sweetheart Milton, a good looking girl she is... of course it's parents would advise keeping me at bay in all seriousness she has them art-deco lines that i just love, and with them 3 radials she'll sounds great too! great work on this obscure aircraft :salute:...
    Thank you Matt. Key in painting this aircraft will be getting the bare metal textures looking realistic. I know that is tough for even the experienced texture artist.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    Milton,

please check your private email. No interior info just now, but searching...
    WOW! Am I impressed. I would have bet money that such a photo did not exist, especially in this size and quality. Awesome!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    From a 1934 issue of Popular Aviation with some additional information. Of particular interest here is the article's statement that the external dural surfaces were cadmium plated. In some photos, the aircraft does look somewhat burnished. Also interesting is the description of the cabin floor of " inlaid wood, very fine central-european hardwoods being used" (take that, Design-On-A-Dime).
    In the factory shot, the fuselage is probably inverted in the jig fixture.

There is some additional photos and discussion of the Avia 51 in the Historical Wings section;
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ce-Picture-of-...

Attachment 52293

Attachment 52291

Attachment 52292

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    From a 1934 issue of Popular Aviation with some additional information. Of particular interest here is the article's statement that the external dural surfaces were cadmium plated. In some photos, the aircraft does look somewhat burnished. Also interesting is the description of the cabin floor of " inlaid wood, very fine central-european hardwoods being used" (take that, Design-On-A-Dime).
    In the factory shot, the fuselage is probably inverted in the jig fixture.

There is some additional photos and discussion of the Avia 51 in the Historical Wings section;
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ce-Picture-of-...

Attachment 52293

Attachment 52291

Attachment 52292
    Ah, this is another excellent article and picture. Love the details too. I must go check that link now. Thank you sir.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton, all i'll need are the images and as Shakespeare so eloquently put "Once more unto the breach dear friends, once more!" be glad to assist you in any way i can :salute:

if AndyG43 wants to assist me with his Czech (which is better than mine) i can orchestrate this, as i say be glad to assist...

Milton, all i'll need are the images and as Shakespeare so eloquently put "Once more unto the breach dear friends, once more!" be glad to assist you in any way i can :salute:

if AndyG43 wants to assist me with his Czech (which is better than mine) i can orchestrate this, as i say be glad to assist...
    Well, thank you Matt. Based on new information, there may be other exciting developments to enhance the project so before I proceed, we shall wait to evaluate new developments.

I also intend to do the Avia 156 as it is so similar so we need to also focus on that data collection and project elements.

Consider this to be a project evolution for now.

Once we get the Grumman projects wrapped, I'll give it more focus along with the XP47J and possibly the "H" model as well.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH-CM-2020
    The more I look at this cutey the more I'm thinking it's like a Disney cartoon character.

Two big eyes , a stubby nose and a fat belly

I'm really looking forward to getting this one Milton

Pete.

i can say with an almost certainty... the registration letters would be red with a black outline ( a lot of Czech aircraft used this format of red lettering) the arrows and art look to also be red...

bare metal isn't as hard do do as you'd think, it's all to do with fooling the eye... tonal variations and some subtle weathering go a long way...

the cadmium is like chromium (chrome) just a little different in hue when viewed... know about these coatings as my father currently works as a fastenings engineer dealing with the likes of BAe, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover etc... so i've kinda picked things up off him for the past year, got a block of bolts in front of me as a paperweight with various coatings from Cadmium, chromate, Teflon... all the way to aircraft grade aluminium, gives me a great visual cue as to how finishes 'should' look i know i know.... i'm a picky bugger....

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So far, so good!

So Gentlemen, if I've understood correctly;

1. Milton Shupe is about to bless us with another masterpiece in engineering

2. I hope I'm correct in assuming that Tom will be giving us another masterpiece airfile.

3.That highly talented Gentleman Mr Matt 'Smoothie' Wynn will be mastering the base textures...and probably more with such a potential texture artist's dream as this prototype.

3B. Ditto the name for all work carried out on the 'gibberish' (he'll get by with a little help from his friend)

4. AndyG43 and Hurricane91 will be delving into dark corners of aviation archives, turning up the vital details needed for the project.

5. Somebody, (awefull memory for names these days) has volunteered to pitch in on the sounds.

6, (This one's a question) What incentive or enticing would be appropriate for Mr. Javis to work his wizzardry on animated aircrew for this one...Matt, have you still got that tape I threw over to ya the other day, we may have to go Greek again?

7. As I seem to be sitting it out on this one, I'll take a shot at some effects.

8. Racartron! Where are you buddy? "I gotcha shine right here"!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Matt, have you still got that tape I threw over to ya the other day, we may have to go Greek again?
    i certainly do...

Interestingly, I have not found a landing light in the pictures as I believe they were optional.

Matt, okay, do I read that as a mild interest to consider contemplating the possibility of later assessment as to whether or not to express an interest in the likelihood of maybe painting this aircraft?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

i can handle the exterior if someone wants to tackle the interior... no problem there! be good to see it in some European airline schemes, as the US would have had it's fill on Boeings and Fords no doubt

Ολυμπιακές Αερογραμμές (Olympic Airways) was formed in the 1950's but it's 3 founder airlines; Ikaros (Icarus), Ελληνική Εταιρεία Εναέριων Συγκοινωνιών (G.C.A.T./Ε.Ε.Ε.Σ) and the privately owned T.A.E. (Τεχνικαί Αεροπορικαί Εκμεταλλεύσεις/Technical and Aeronautical Exploitations), come 1947 there were still three airlines based in Greece: T.A.E., G.A.T./ΕΛΛ.Α.Σ. (Greek Air Transport/Ελληνικαί Αεροπορικαί Συγκοινωνίαι) and Hellenic Airlines/Α.Μ.Ε. (Αεροπορικαί Μεταφοραί Ελλάδος).

these merged in 1951 to form T.A.E Greek National Airlines, T.A.E went bankrupt in '55 and was closed, Onassis shipping took over ownership and in 1957 it was renamed to Olympic airways.... the rest as they say... is history

i think as i say most customers for this aircraft would have been eastern bloc and european and possibly asian....

.... but i'm ok to handle textures if needed :salute:

Blog Entries
    That's my boy!

Oooowee! Does this mean Olympic with highly polished undersides Matt?

With Milton exclusively in GMax this means real 'Alpha shine'.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Thank you Sir
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    That's my boy!

Oooowee! Does this mean Olympic with highly polished undersides Matt?

With Milton exclusively in GMax this means real 'Alpha shine'.
    All for the good of the virtual skies my friend
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    All for the good of the virtual skies my friend
    The magic's happening again Sir! :isadizzy:

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Blog Entries

Now, I wonder who sneaked this little appetizer onto the menu!?!

I also intend to do the Avia 156 as it is so similar so we need to also focus on that data collection and project elements.
    (icon:Matt 'Smoothie' Wynn's embarresed cough:icon)

Uuum... Sir, do you mean;

"The Avia 156 was a single-engined high-wing cantilever monoplane that first flew in 1934.[1] Powered by a Hispano-Suiza 12Ydrs inline piston engine and had fixed tail wheel landing gear.[1] The Avia 156 performed well in test flights but only a prototype was built."

OR

The Avia 57 was a three-engined low-wing monoplane that first flew in 1935.[1] Powered by three Hispano-Suiza 9Vd radial engines and had landing gear that retracted into the nacelles of the wing mounted engines

OR

BOTH???

Either way, it'll mean an extra soundset (edr two).

But who's counting anyway...what's an extra soundset between friends, eh lads?

Wrong! Right!... If it's the '57, I hear you all cackle; "The Hispano-suiza 9Vd is just a license built Wright 1820...use your imagination and use the Tracker sound, idiot!"

(if it is Vd I'm not touching it with a barge pole for fear of catching a dose!!!)

Nope!

Ssssh!..Be quiet..all of you! (inc. the Poles, Greeks and Czechs) Silence! (in Polish).

No half measures...it would sound totally different in this ship!...Heh! guys. where are you all going? I haven't finished yet!

'Smoothie' leaps to Mr. Shupe's defense...

Smoothie: "Cut it out! You're confusing the Gentleman. It's the first one idiot! Can't you see;
    H I G H W I N G C A N T I L E V E R !

A sound person; "Yeah but it only has one engine?"

Smoothie: "He'll delete them in GMax, piece of cake!"

A sound person; "He wouldn't, he wants 3!"

Smoothie: "He doesn't care, its got the high wing layout"

A sound person; "Can't he saw them off in GMax and stick them lower down? Milton can do anything in GMax! Then he'll have 3 juicy throaty 450 hp radials"

Smoothie: "He wants inline, for a change!"

A sound person; "You're just trying to get me in trouble!"

Smoothie: "Uuuumf! For gauwds sake, he wont listen to any sense...please, tell him Milton!"

What I really wanted to finally say is this;

It's a good thing I have the time, as a sef-supporter, and am therefore otherwise 'employed'!

Unemployed? Who me? Never in my life would I ever accept that!

If ever in danger of that, I simply employ myself, stay focused, and make myself busy anyway I possibly can.
    And absolutely, totally, irreversibly refuse to take life sitting or lying down.

It's a case of appreciating one's situation, then turning the disadvantages to one's advantage!
    But that's another story...

Getting yourself bogged down there a bit, kiddo?

"No chance pal, I'm the prototype Landrover Defender...ya know, the one that pulls the 'others' out of it when the going gets tough!"

Niva?
    "Never!"

Jeep?
    "As a matter of fact no, the initial outlay has always been notoriously high, but second hand they usually return a pretty high re-sale value, and they're just like me; they just keep going on and on. That's because they were originally built using the latest aeronautical engineering technology - don't bother to look for rusty bodywork, you wont find any; they're made from aviation grade alloy!."

Oops! reached the bottom of the page, time to post!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Quick update: Steady progress on all fronts, reshaping, resizing, smoothing, modifying, adding, adjusting, etc. ad nauseum.

Also working on the flight model.

Nigel is apparently going bonkers on sounds ... {{{shaking head}}}
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here