New AMD / ATI Drivers

Thread: New AMD / ATI Drivers

New AMD / ATI Drivers

I was updating a couple of my computers yesterday and noticed that AMD graphics drivers now have a CPU OVERDRIVE capability. I gave it a try on two (2) different AMD processor. I was able to get a stable 4.0 GHz on my Athlon II X4 970 BE (on air), a boost of .5 GHz over stock speed, and I was able to get 3.9 GHz on my FX 8120 (on air), a boost of .8 GHz over stock speed. The really good thing about it is that you just click several 'on screen' buttons and the software runs a test on your processor. After the test your computer re-boots and you select CPU Overdrive and it is done!

So, for those of you running AMD equipment, you might consider this new driver (it also has GPU Overdrive for AMD cards). I'm getting really good FPS (40 -50) on my 970 BE machine. (I just recently installed FSX on my FX 8120 machine and have not done much 'tweaking' yet.)
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Do you mean the AMD overdrive facility on the Catalyst system? When you say CPU overdrive, you have confused my feeble brain whether you mean the PC CPU or the graphic card CPU.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

That's Right Central, not Graphics Processor

Quote Originally Posted by DagR View Post
    He means the CPU, not the GPU.
    DagR is correct. The AMD driver now contains both a Central Processing Unit (CPU) OVERDRIVE program and a Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) OVERDRIVE program. The programs make overclocking easy for those of us that aren't as nimble as we used to be.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Members who have read this thread: 0