Dewey Moor airstrip in Idaho, I don't think so.....

Thread: Dewey Moor airstrip in Idaho, I don't think so.....

Dewey Moor airstrip in Idaho, I don't think so.....

I did not find this airstrip. Folks on another forum where talking about it so thought I would give it a shot and share as well for those who seek a tough challenge. Not sure if it is a default runnway in fsx or part of one of orbx scenery packages. It has an uphill landing strip. I did take off ok but not even close on the landing. Crashed and burned....Add me to the campfire at the end of the runway along with my remains. Can't believe people really fly into this strip. I would be heaving and saying my prayers beacause to me this is just sudden death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vlR1juKQoY

Here is a pick of strip from FSX

Good find, that's on my list for trying out this pm. IRL you would have to have supreme confidence that the airstrip is clear of boulders/wildlife etc....
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I kept watching the video as he got lower and lower, wondering where's the airstrip, then suddenly he was on it. I'd give it a shot in FS but no freakin' way would I attempt it in real life. With luck they'd find my remains in the spring.

LOL....at least someone made it. They are using my piper to feed the fire...sorry A2A. Will have to try that landing again.

You'd probably like "Mile Hi" instead...
    Just don't strike your prop! :mixedsmi:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p7-QbI9Qzeg?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

In the first video, as he comes to a stop, is that another cub sitting down in the ravine below him? lol
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    In the first video, as he comes to a stop, is that another cub sitting down in the ravine below him? lol
    Sure does look like some sort of plane but looks really small.

Jim
    Ooops, I was looking down by the water. Looks like a plane but i am sure I am just seeing things.

He's traveling up a hill, so the other cub is just parked on a level area of ground, which is actually positioned above the end of the runway.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

I made my voyage to that strip when CRM first came out, was actually my first salmon river landing after taking off from McCall ( I then visited most of the other strips in the area) I aborted six times before being able to land and the landing was NOT a pretty one. I stalled a few feet AGL and bounced the tundras on the scout pretty well as I recall. if you compare the youtube vid from the sim, there are some big differences. the "runway" in orbx starts well before you see the plane landing in the video, so do not try to aim for the first part of the runway, you should land actually pretty well up the hill as you can see in the vid and then hopefully stop before taking out the happy couple by the fire. Once you do this one, the other salmon river strips are pretty tame by comparison, but still fun, this one isn't. I did this in a real air scout, the best would probably be FR supercub. I wouldn't try it in the A2A cub though, I need my flaps for this sort of stuff.

FWIW I remember reading a post on youtube from a presumably RL Idaho pilot who said that Dewey Moore IRL was "easy". Doesn't look like it to me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/djI2pwXXppc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Here's the Cocky B@%#$@rd lol

I just tried landing at this airstrip in FSX and all I can say is the pilots that have done this in real life either have some serious guts and skill or they're plain crazy(pun intended)!

Since I started doing a lot of Bush Flying (I have PNW and Pacific Fjords) I decided to give these a try. I flew into both of them using several different airplanes just to see the advantages of one over the other. In that same general vicinity there are 5 small strips that make it easy to get from one to the other in quick succession: Root Ranch which is 12nm north of Dewey, Cold Meadow also 12nm north, then there's Big Creek 12.5nm west and Mile High which is around the corner, lol at 3nm. I had no problems landing at any of them using both the Husky (thanks Steve Grant) and the Bush Hawk by Aerosoft (beautiful little airplane) using Summer as the season, thinking the trees would make it more difficult to spot and land. You can't come in hot to any of these except Big Creek, that one has a rwy a mile long, or at least it seems that way after landing at the others. The remaining 4 needed speeds just above stall to get stopped and none of them (Mile High or Dewey) had the inclines that they have in real life. I did not find any of them to be terribly difficult to land at, but because you're doing Mountain/Valley Flying, they do come up on you pretty quick and if your airspeed isn't already set for landing, you won't have time to slow down and land. . . .just my opinion.

Current System Specs:

Hi falcon409,

note that while those airstrips you mention exist in FSX default they are perfectly flat with oversized grass skirtings and runways as is typical for small default airstrips. It's the ORBX Central Rockies package that gives them correct dimensions and slopes (well, as correct as the ancient USGS elevation data allows).

Cheers, Holger

I've been to a lot of Idaho's backcountry strips in real life.
    They are not that bad to get in and out of. No, really.
    In fact it's quite fun to do a tour on a lazy summer day.
    But obviously you do need to have experience in back country flying, grass/dirt runways, the right airplane, and good skills in operating the proper aircraft for the strip.
    As it has been said, "A man's just got to know his limitations".

McCall Idaho (KMYL) is one of the aerial depots for the United States Forest Service (USFS) and home to a Smokejumper base.
    You want to ratchet it up a notch, you could always operate a Twin Otter out of many of these strips like the USFS does.

(I do love the audio on this one!)

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jY-xe9T3KMo?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Quote Originally Posted by Holger Sandmann View Post
    Hi falcon409,

note that while those airstrips you mention exist in FSX default they are perfectly flat with oversized grass skirtings and runways as is typical for small default airstrips. It's the ORBX Central Rockies package that gives them correct dimensions and slopes (well, as correct as the ancient USGS elevation data allows).

Cheers, Holger
    Now you've done it Holger, lol, that means I've gotta pony up for yet another huge download, lol.:salute:

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    I've been to a lot of Idaho's backcountry strips in real life.
    They are not that bad to get in and out of. No, really.
    In fact it's quite fun to do a tour on a lazy summer day.
    But obviously you do need to have experience in back country flying, grass/dirt runways, the right airplane, and good skills in operating the proper aircraft for the strip.
    As it has been said, "A man's just got to know his limitations".

McCall Idaho (KMYL) is one of the aerial depots for the United States Forest Service (USFS) and home to a Smokejumper base.
    You want to ratchet it up a notch, you could always operate a Twin Otter out of many of these strips like the USFS does.

Man, that just looks like so much fun. Awesome, thanks for posting!!

Current System Specs:

Kinda disappointed the Allison Ranch (ID08) never made it into Orbx CRM, I thought that would have been a "gimme".
    Yellow Pine Bar did, which is just a couple miles or so SW of the Allison Ranch however.

Allison Ranch is used for training MAF pilots for a very short turn to final on remote strips.
    You don't have any choice, its fly down the Salmon River canyon, then a quick sharp left turn to the threshold.
    Don't know if they still do, but Quest used to use it for Kodiaks too.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0bC4wE7Uues?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uQ_mciV6AvE?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

Had a few extra bucks and decided to grab the Rockies scenery so I could see what everyone else is seeing with the aforementioned strips. Made the purchase, downloaded, installed, went to a start strip, but oddly it didn't seem to look any different, probably just my imagination, I thought. Flew to Mile Hi, no difference, hmmmm. Flew over to Dewey, the same perfectly flat, easy to land airstrip. I checked the installation, everything was correct. I loaded Google and checked the coverage area and my, my, my. I bought the wrong section of the Rockies. I have the Northern Rockies and that scenery stops about 40nm north of these air strips, lol. I needed the Central Rockies. If I had read previous posts (which I did) and paid attention to the abbreviations (which I did not) I would have known which one to get. Oh well!!

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Had a few extra bucks and decided to grab the Rockies scenery so I could see what everyone else is seeing with the aforementioned strips. Made the purchase, downloaded, installed, went to a start strip, but oddly it didn't seem to look any different, probably just my imagination, I thought. Flew to Mile Hi, no difference, hmmmm. Flew over to Dewey, the same perfectly flat, easy to land airstrip. I checked the installation, everything was correct. I loaded Google and checked the coverage area and my, my, my. I bought the wrong section of the Rockies. I have the Northern Rockies and that scenery stops about 40nm north of these air strips, lol. I needed the Central Rockies. If I had read previous posts (which I did) and paid attention to the abbreviations (which I did not) I would have known which one to get. Oh well!!
    Ouch. :isadizzy:

My opinion is biased, but you still got a nice section of the virtual Earth to fly in.
    Northern Idaho and Montana have some interesting strips as well, especially if you fly around the Kalispell/Flathead Lake region.
    There are a lot of strips in that area.
    Then you can always go north from there and explore the Canadian Rockies.

NRM does dovetail nicely with CRM, if you can ever swing it, both are worth having.

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    Ouch. :isadizzy:

My opinion is biased, but you still got a nice section of the virtual Earth to fly in.
    Northern Idaho and Montana have some interesting strips as well, especially if you fly around the Kalispell/Flathead Lake region.
    There are a lot of strips in that area.
    Then you can always go north from there and explore the Canadian Rockies.

NRM does dovetail nicely with CRM, if you can ever swing it, both are worth having.
    Yep, I agree Dain, It's something I would have purchased sooner or later anyway. I'll just have to save those pennies and get the Central Rockies next month.:salute:

Current System Specs:

You have to use a stol aircraft like a cub or supercub. I've made it out with the beaver but it's hair raising the few times I've tried it.

SOH-CM-2017
    Saw the post title and thought "I've heard of that airstrip." Then looking over the posts I realized that this is an old thread that was just resurrected. I will add that flying the bush strips of Central Idaho in Orbx Central Rocky Mountain scenery is great fun. Have done several multiplayer sessions and there's always gets a good turnout. Really like the video below which has a landing at Dewey Moore about 2 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUAZxUjilK8
    Jeff
    "Providence Permittin"