Information needed

Thread: Information needed

Information needed

Can any one tell me what programs I need to build an aircraft, to paint it, to make an air file, to make a panel, to make a sound file, to make an aircraft cfg file, to make my own complete airport and scenery, to make my own flight plans, and everything I need to import in to Flight Simulator? Please</SPAN>

Also, can anyone tell me how I can have multiple monitors show a different view at the same time? Please</SPAN>

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger1077 View Post
    Can any one tell me what programs I need to build an aircraft, to paint it, to make an air file, to make a panel, to make a sound file, to make an aircraft cfg file, to make my own complete airport and scenery, to make my own flight plans, and everything I need to import in to Flight Simulator? Please

Also, can anyone tell me how I can have multiple monitors show a different view at the same time? Please
    darn! id saylots of patience and1st notepadthatsfor the cfg, i do not believe ther'sone that does the whole wallup:mixedsmi:
    good luck
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger1077 View Post
    Can any one tell me what programs I need to build an aircraft, to paint it, to make an air file, to make a panel, to make a sound file, to make an aircraft cfg file, to make my own complete airport and scenery, to make my own flight plans, and everything I need to import in to Flight Simulator? Please
    Also, can anyone tell me how I can have multiple monitors show a different view at the same time? Please
    Without sounding flip, I'd say your best best would be to mossy on over to FSDeveloper.com, it is your one stop for everything related to flightsim. There are forums dedicated to everything you're asking. Start asking questions individually in each forum and get answers from some of the best minds when it comes to flight sim design, be it Scenery, Flight Plans, Airfiles, Aircraft and Panel Design.

I'm sure you understand that what you're asking is no small task and since everyone has their own favorites and seldom do they match exactly, you could get lost in the answers/suggestions and never find your way out again. So go to FSDeveloper and start there.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

You'd need LOTS of programs... and about 3-5 years of learning and tinkering.

I'd start with just ONE thing first. Aircraft and scenery are tow very different animals and there isn't anybody that I know of doing it ALL. So, decide what you want to do first (aircraft or scenery), then start reading up on FSDeveloper.com. And install the SDK, get GMax, and start learning that.
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Definitely start with "gmax". There's one heck of a learning curve, but the price is right and there are tons of tutorials available. You can pick up gmax at http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax
    Be sure to pick up the tutorials and help files too. Good luck.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

I'd echo much of what is written above:

FSdeveloper.com is the place to be!

First, FOCUS on one type of subject, then one particular project that you're passionate about so you'll stand a chance of seeing it through. Having a "finisher and completer" work ethic/personality is a definite bonus (rarer than it sounds!).

Regarding modelling software, start with GMAX (free), then graduate to 3DS Max if you can afford a copy or get one through some kind of discount.

I'd like to add to these the requirement to have great reference material (drawings, dimensions, photos, pilots notes, preformance graphs, sound recordings etc. etc.). You may find your first choice of project simply doesn't have enough reference material available, in which case you may be bumped down to your 2nd, 3rd or other choice until you do have the references required.

Just my 2p on a Sunday morning!

GOOD LUCK!!! You WILL succeed!!!

Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Charter Member 2012
    I would also like to ask how does one date a girl like Kate Winslet or Jennifer Anston, become mega rich and stop the aging process? It might be easier than making a good FSX addon.

Roger, as you might have noticed already you are asking a lot!
    Here's the thing. In developing for FS anything there are various "disciplines". Some people do planes, some do scenery, some do missions, etc. It's rare to find someone that "does it all" like you are wanting to do. I know for certain that anybody like that only got there after many years of effort. That said, you could be that guy...but you have to do it a piece at a time. For now why not choose what "discipline" interests you the most and go from there. As others before me have pointed out FSDeveloper is the most active site currently. Also look at FreeFlightDesign. While it has become pretty dormant there is still a huge amount of information to be had there.

Good Luck!
    Regards,
    Robert

And last but certainly not least, it is easier for everybody if you put the same post in just ONE place...... that way you only have to look for answers in one place too..... same for the responders ;-)
    Umbria, Italy

No reply, eh? Does anyone feel like they're being played? I know, I'm a cynic. ;-)

Haha ! I noticed it too. Not uncommon though...... the issue wasn't fully 'seriously researched' to begin with, hence my remark instead of highly detailed answer. Maybe we're both cynics ;-)
    Umbria, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    GMax, GIMP and Notepad is basically all you need.
    Yes but "Notepad++" is for me the must have in matter of xml/cfg file editor!!
    Tabs, syntax coloring, correction historic, enhance search, etc... everything is more than useful!

Regards
    S.

GMax, GIMP and Notepad is basically all you need.
    A gross oversimplification where scenery design is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by spotlope View Post
    A gross oversimplification where scenery design is concerned.
    Geez, just because I forgot ADE...

Heh... not quite. SBuilderX, GlobalMapper, ModelConverterX... my toolbox has more than a few tools, and every one of them does something indispensable.

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    Aircraft and scenery are tow very different animals and there isn't anybody that I know of doing it ALL.
    Hello Francois, my name is Anthony and I make aircraft and scenery. Now you know at least 1 person doing it all .

Quote Originally Posted by anthony31 View Post
    Hello Francois, my name is Anthony and I make aircraft and scenery. Now you know at least 1 person doing it all .
    Don't forget SimConnect and missions, though! And that's just going by the major topics in the SDK- there are other things like texture and shader modifications, and many facets of scenery development, as I'm sure you know (resample, shp2vec, autogen, traffic, airports, etc.).

Also AirWrench and other FM tools... but he's already been told that elsewhere.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by spotlope View Post
    Heh... not quite. SBuilderX, GlobalMapper, ModelConverterX... my toolbox has more than a few tools, and every one of them does something indispensable.
    Well, I was only considering the basic stuff for getting custom models into the sim, for airport-focused scenery or airplanes...

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Also AirWrench and other FM tools... but he's already been told that elsewhere.
    AirWrench is payware, so it stays off my list.

AirEd on the other hand...and that .air file merging tool, are free.

Altough it does not currently serve my particular needs at the moment, AirWrench would be worth the small amount Jerry charges for it. Doing Air files by hand is a vocation in itself. Besides AirEd, there is Aircraft Airfile Manager (AAM) which lets you into the world of the hex tables via base 10, with displayed curves etc. Aircraft Container Manager is also invaluable in making the visual and virtual aircraft coincide! That's if you can both find it and get it to install on a newer operating system such as Win7.

Have fun! T

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

thats not thehenrythat i knew

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    darn! id saylots of patience and1st notepadthatsfor the cfg, i do not believe ther'sone that does the whole wallup:mixedsmi:
    good luck
    H
    thatss notthe old henryseemss others havee given postivemorepositive answers, this damn strokehas done more damage than even i realise you have started in the rihht direction ask lots of questions studdy s lot trial and erroris the best way good luck to you
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Members who have read this thread: 0